997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2/PCM3.0 iPod install update / Suncoast Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:38 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
I am having difficulty with my Ipod (classic 80 gb video ipod) NOT going to sleep after I exit the car or leave it overnight. As such the battery completely drains down to the hard, life support mode. The dealer has looked at this and is out of options. P won't provide any help other than unplug/replug every time I leave the car. Anyone else seeing this? (It does properly charge when the vehicle is on.)

Old 09-16-2009, 08:37 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
I'm too cheap to use my old iPod I guess. I burned a DVD with MP3s which totaled about 4.5 GB of music and that's it... Not even close to the 20, 30 or 40 GB of an ipod, but enough for a quarter.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:03 PM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by John McLane
I'm too cheap to use my old iPod I guess. I burned a DVD with MP3s which totaled about 4.5 GB of music and that's it... Not even close to the 20, 30 or 40 GB of an ipod, but enough for a quarter.
I did the same for my oldies from the 80s on disk and it works well. I couldn't justify spending $800 for dealer installed ipod kit just for a few songs.

John

Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
I never saw the iPod interaction alive but based on the manual pictures, is fairly similar to the DVD, so for 4.5 GB worth of music, I'll save myself 800 or so and start saving for my HRE wheel upgrade...

Old 09-16-2009, 04:41 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
I used this format in '06 when BMW did not have the ipod connection. For that car and PCM 3.0 you can get up to 8GB to 8.5 GB of music on a double layer DVD.

Unfortunately, when I tried it on the PCM today for some reason voice control then went in the tank (although the icon showed on the screen) for phone dialing while the DVD was being "searched" by the system. Once again, it would be nice if P got their act together on the consumer electronics side of the car.

Originally Posted by John McLane

Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 PM
That's true, P cars are not exactly geek prone, they could do something better, but you gottaagree that the PCM 3 is a huuuggeee step forward compared to the PCM 2. It's close to be decent. I dont think I'l lbe trying DL anytime soon, it is not listed as supported media in the manual and I tend to be a wimp when it comes to P car electronics warranty...

I'm rather curious about the Baumester. A home system from them can cost up to 100k.
Buy a Baumester and get a Panamera for free I guess.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 PM
DVD Audio is supported and the DVD-A standard provides for double layer, double sided media. The DL piece gives you the 8.5GB of data so we know the P drive will read no problem. Additionally, the disc I used did finally start playing after the PCM ground away for quite a while. It started on song one of album one. Unlike a USB drive though the directory structure wasn't shown and, in the limited time I played with it, I couldn't figure out how to navigate the disc other than pressing the PCM's hard forward button.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:32 PM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
seen the arguing on the authentication chip, it is inside the PCM like some of the aftermarket radios. as for the new cable supporting the 3Gs units I am baffled unless they chipped the cable.

I have the code breakers BTW :whistle: see sig

Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
not sure why so much, i called local dealer and asked how much for the oem kit, and install and they said 500$ total. but they also told me since i had XM from factory that their was a lack of inputs in the back..

Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
question to guy above:

if you make a DVD u cant sort anymore right? so its just song after song after song and u could flick thru but not separate ones from others in "playlists?"

i saw the DVD thing, and thought about it. but seems complicated..

alex

Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 PM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jster
DVD Audio is supported and the DVD-A standard provides for double layer, double sided media. The DL piece gives you the 8.5GB of data so we know the P drive will read no problem. Additionally, the disc I used did finally start playing after the PCM ground away for quite a while. It started on song one of album one. Unlike a USB drive though the directory structure wasn't shown and, in the limited time I played with it, I couldn't figure out how to navigate the disc other than pressing the PCM's hard forward button.
You can scroll through the song list in the center dash cluster by using the lower left stalk on the steering column. I don't have MF steering wheel but I would assume you can surf the song list through the PCM via buttons on the steering wheel.

John

Old 09-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
question to guy above:

if you make a DVD u cant sort anymore right? so its just song after song after song and u could flick thru but not separate ones from others in "playlists?"

i saw the DVD thing, and thought about it. but seems complicated..

alex

Not really. It saves in folders like the iPod structure. Playlist might be possible but initially I dont think so, maybe a question of proper format. It is easy and organized to scroll trough the DVD

Old 09-17-2009, 01:00 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
There's something to be said for an iPod though; 120GB will hold over 200 full quality CDs - no MP3 compression.

I own so much music that I don't have time to listen to anywhere else but in the car. An iPod on random is a great way to get around to some great tracks that I sometimes have almost forgotten about. I can go for months without hearing the same thing twice: my ultimate personal commercial-free radio station.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 AM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
not sure why so much, i called local dealer and asked how much for the oem kit, and install and they said 500$ total. but they also told me since i had XM from factory that their was a lack of inputs in the back..
XM input has no bearing to the aux plug which is a different input. The XM is built into the PCM3. I thought I posted pics somewhere of it here, but it must be another forum, I will look for it later. Anyways the XM chip snaps into the socket on the PCM3, it is about 2" x 1/2" and has an antenna going to the back of the PCM

Old 09-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Tried the same 8.5GB DL DVD again and this time it worked (although at one point it said "DVD not recognized" as it started to play a song...go figure) correctly. Folder structure was there and navigable thru the PCM. Not sure what issue the PCM had the first time.

To get this thread back on track I tried my ipod again and the car ran the battery down to hard death overnight. I sure wish I knew what the issue was since it is so much faster and easier to use than either usb or DVD.

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
You can scroll through the song list in the center dash cluster by using the lower left stalk on the steering column. I don't have MF steering wheel but I would assume you can surf the song list through the PCM via buttons on the steering wheel.

John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2/PCM3.0 iPod install update / Suncoast Porsche