997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do wheel spacers change handling characteristics?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
grease is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdrums
grease, if you want to correct the understeer you will need to the control arms for GT3 control arms so you can dial in at least -2 degrees of camber up front. the stock 997 control arms will only allow up to around -1.
WOW! Two degrees of camber to correct understeer. I shoulda stuck with my '04 Boxster S 550 Anniversary Edition...

Old 02-09-2009, 04:03 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by grease
WOW! Two degrees of camber to correct understeer. I shoulda stuck with my '04 Boxster S 550 Anniversary Edition...
Yes negitive 2 degrees camber will help understeer on the track. This would not be the perfect street application of camber though but would be an ok trade off between track and street driving. Also zero toe up front will help turn in too.

I my car has the lower sport PASM so I ended up with -1.4 camber. This helps a lot on the track and still works good on the street. Just adding lowering springs to regualr PASm will net you around -1.4 camber at max.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Yes negitive 2 degrees camber will help understeer on the track. This would not be the perfect street application of camber though but would be an ok trade off between track and street driving. Also zero toe up front will help turn in too.

I my car has the lower sport PASM so I ended up with -1.4 camber. This helps a lot on the track and still works good on the street. Just adding lowering springs to regualr PASm will net you around -1.4 camber at max.
I am running around -1 to -1.25 camber in the front, and with my H&R Sway bars and Bilstein Damptronics. The car was lowered to ROW height, and Corner Balanced and then a ROW aggressive alignment, and I don't understeer, and over steer is very minimal.

My tire wear front and rear is even across the tires.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Hi MDrums, Thanks for all the info. I am thinking about adding the spasm springs onto my cab - already have the lsd. Hopefully the cab can take the stiffer spring rates.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I am running around -1 to -1.25 camber in the front, and with my H&R Sway bars and Bilstein Damptronics. The car was lowered to ROW height, and Corner Balanced and then a ROW aggressive alignment, and I don't understeer, and over steer is very minimal.

My tire wear front and rear is even across the tires.
Hi NorthVan, Thanks for the info. I am planning to add spasm springs and use the existing pasm shocks.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
I added 13 mm spacers each side on the rear of my 360.

Not only does the car look much better, it handles much better, and that was immediately noticeable after installing them

I left the fronts alone.

The stance is much more aggressive looking as well.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Hi MDrums, Thanks for all the info. I am thinking about adding the spasm springs onto my cab - already have the lsd. Hopefully the cab can take the stiffer spring rates.
grease, also contact Sharkwerks as they have some Tech Art springs for the 09 PASM. They used these springs on there 09 Carrera S and the ride height looks good and they can tell you about the handling too.

Personally I am not a spring guy only...I firmly believe the shocks and spring have to work as a system and tuned as such...hoever if you do not track your car you might not notice any issues anyway.

best of luck with this.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:54 PM
grease, also contact Sharkwerks as they have some Tech Art springs for the 09 PASM. They used these springs on there 09 Carrera S and the ride height looks good and they can tell you about the handling too.

Personally I am not a spring guy only...I firmly believe the shocks and spring have to work as a system and tuned as such...hoever if you do not track your car you might not notice any issues anyway.

best of luck with this.
Hi MDrums, As best as I can determine, the '09 spasm uses the same shocks as the pasm. Not sure if the control software is changed. Porsche gives the spasm spring rates in their tech reference manual. It is about 10% stiffer in the front and considerably more stiffer in the rear (variable rate) as compared to the pasm springs. One of the folks in Spain on another forum says the new spasm handles great as compared to pasm. Porsche elected not offer on cab. probably due to difference in body stiffness or most folks that track their cars go with coupe.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Hi Grease, I was wondering but have not completely looked into if the regular PASM and Sport PASM shocks are the same. I thought I read they might be different but I am not positive on this info. Thanks and let us know what you find out directly from Porsche. I guess your dealers parts counter could tell you or a call to PCNA in Atlanta.

Mike

Hi MDrums, As best as I can determine, the '09 spasm uses the same shocks as the pasm. Not sure if the control software is changed. Porsche gives the spasm spring rates in their tech reference manual. It is about 10% stiffer in the front and considerably more stiffer in the rear (variable rate) as compared to the pasm springs. One of the folks in Spain on another forum says the new spasm handles great as compared to pasm. Porsche elected not offer on cab. probably due to difference in body stiffness or most folks that track their cars go with coupe.