997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do wheel spacers change handling characteristics?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:41 AM
grease is on a distinguished road
Do wheel spacers change handling characteristics?

Considering adding wheel spacers to my '09 C2S Cab.

Alternatives:
  1. 5mm all around
  2. 5mm front, 17mm rear
  3. 7mm front, 17mm rear
  4. other?
Question is: Does anyone have any real experience in how this changes handling? Like on DE/Track vs just show around town..

e.g. shouldn't option two above increase understeer even more than stock w/o any spacers?

Appreciate any experience..

Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have your option 2, and I tracked mine a lot. No negative issues, not sure it gives any positives either.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:18 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
I don't think you'll notice the difference (handling wise) w/ any of them.

BTW: I have a pair of 'genuine' Porsche 5mm spacers w/ longer bolts (8) for sale if your interested.

Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss them.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
Do you notice a significant difference in the look. Does it really fill the wheel well more. A more aggressive look ?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:26 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Lockie
Do you notice a significant difference in the look. Does it really fill the wheel well more. A more aggressive look ?
This topic has been beaten to death. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble and do a search on 'spacers'. You'll find loads of info, opinions, etc.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
off topic

Gordie (off topic) Gordie I was going to order your exact color combo for my new 997.2 cab and went safe for a black/black..... I would love to see what your color looks like . I cant send you a PM as i dont have enough Posts yet. Would you be able to send me pics to my wifes email address
tanamck@shaw.ca

I thought that combo would look great and have always wanted to see it.
Thanks

Old 02-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by AP 997S
This topic has been beaten to death. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble and do a search on 'spacers'. You'll find loads of info, opinions, etc.
Thanks ..new to the site and will do that.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:33 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AP 997S
+1, do a search for "wheel spacers installed" for before and after photos.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant future
It does affect the handling, but you probably won't notice. I think adding a spacer on the front is going to make the steering more susceptible to variations in the road. 5-7 mm is not noticeable though on a 911. I moved the front out on my NSX a lot more than that and it was noticeable. The steering got twitchy.

The lower the offset on the front (more outboard), the more you increase the forces on the wheels that are trying to pull the fronts of the wheels apart as the mounting surface is now closer to the centerline of the wheel leaving more of the wheel outboard of the axis of rotation to be pulled on by forces hitting the wheels. If you increase the offset (more inboard), you move the mounting surface outward which decreases these forces which gives the steering more stability. At least I think I have this right. I'm trying to picture the forces in my head. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

If you push the rear way out and leave the front then I would think you may see more understeer because you've now moved the rear out but not the front. You are also widening the track so that is usually beneficial in terms of handling but if you unbalance the front to rear from what the factory had, you may notice it more... although depending on the car it may be something that improves the handling. At HRE we try to keep the offsets as close to the factory as possible for these reasons, especially in the front... although we're usually widening the wheels which pushes them farther toward the fender but also farther to the inside. It isn't always possible, so we're often making the wheels with a lower offset which is essentially like adding a spacer.

So basically I'm saying "yes" but probably not so much that you need to worry about it and if you do it right, it probably helps. Sorry... I haven't read the spacer thread either.

Last edited by HRE_Alan; 02-08-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
+1, do a search for "wheel spacers installed" for before and after photos.
Thanks. very much...what a great site......having a lot of fun. PS are you going to Portland at the end of Feb for their Spring opening at PIR

Old 02-08-2009, 03:33 PM
I have your option 2, and I tracked mine a lot. No negative issues, not sure it gives any positives either.
Hi NorthVan,
Thanks for the feedback. I see you made other suspension mods as well. Did you do these after tracking with just the wheel spacers? Was understeer increased under this condition? I am not interested in changing the entire suspension.

Does your experience indicate that the 5mm front spacers cause more wander?

Appreciate your perspective.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by grease
Hi NorthVan,
Thanks for the feedback. I see you made other suspension mods as well. Did you do these after tracking with just the wheel spacers? Was understeer increased under this condition? I am not interested in changing the entire suspension.

Does your experience indicate that the 5mm front spacers cause more wander?

Appreciate your perspective.
No, I added the spacers after the suspension work was done. I doubt that the understeer will be solved by a 5 mm spacer. I would recommend a set of heavier sway bars to help with that problem.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lockie
Thanks. very much...what a great site......having a lot of fun. PS are you going to Portland at the end of Feb for their Spring opening at PIR
Lockie, this is a good site, great group of guys here.

I doubt that I will be going to PIR in February, I will likely start my season April/May. I did a few days in the cold/wet rain last year and it is fun, but not as much fun as a sunny warm day that gives you good grip.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:23 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
grease, if you want to correct the understeer you will need to the control arms for GT3 control arms so you can dial in at least -2 degrees of camber up front. the stock 997 control arms will only allow up to around -1.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:51 AM
No, I added the spacers after the suspension work was done. I doubt that the understeer will be solved by a 5 mm spacer. I would recommend a set of heavier sway bars to help with that problem.
OK. Thanks. Any particular sway bars that folks here have had good success with?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do wheel spacers change handling characteristics?