997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 burning oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:02 PM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Stopped into my dealer today to speak with the service manager....told him I was concerned about the fact that I have put in 2 qts in under 2,000 miles

With a straight face he said to expect to use 1qt per 1000 miles !

Old 09-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, unless you use about a quart in 600 miles its not officially a Porsche concern.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Could it be the inside surface of the cylinders?

The new engines have a silicon based material mixed throughout the alloy. The previous engines ( pre 2009 MY ) had a silicon ( Lokasil {sp?}) coating applied to the interior surface after casting.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 AM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Just bought an 2000 911 carera 4 cabriolet with 88k. Have been driving it for about 600 miles, just noticed the oil getting low. Noticed it after a 45 mile drive on a highway. Checked the engine for any oil leak and the garage floor, everything is clean.

Is this something I should always keep an eye on it? Or does this mean the valves need cleaning? I do get a little smoke when I start it in the morning, its very brief.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:30 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
I have 23,000 miles on my 2009 997.2, flog the ***** on the track once in a while, drive fast and have never - repeat never - had to add oil.

I following mfr. break-in recommendation to the letter, and never let RPM exceed 4,000 until fluids are to temperature.

I do not - remotely - believe these cars to be oil burners. If my 1963 356 B doesn't burn oil after nearly 50 years, why would I think my 2009 Carrera would ?

Please.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Is this something I should always keep an eye on it? ................. I do get a little smoke when I start it in the morning, its very brief.[/quote]

Are you sure that you are consuming oil? New owners are often hyper about this ( I was). First thing I'd do is find the previous owner and ask him; depending upon the answer I would then take it to my trusted indy ( I hope that you have one ). My 06S (completely different engine than yours) burns/drips zero. My 87 with 89,000 miles goes through less than a quart in 2500-3000 miles - not worth screwing with.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
I seriously hope that porsche does something about this oil consumption issue. I have been a bit lucky that since new my car has not consumed a single drop of oil.i wonder though if this is good or bad. Te engine longetivity will tell. Had a brother with a 4s same year and it consumed oil in a very concerning degree. Why? Oh why Porsche? Please tell us why you say such consumption is normal. Where does the oil really go?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Some burn oil, some burn a lot, some burn almost none.

It may depend on the engine and drive train, or just random chance on how the engine was built, or the driving environment (air temp, altitude, typical length of drive, etc).

One thing mentioned occasionally is if the oil had some water in it, from lots of short drives, the level may show as one level, and then when you drive it a longer distance so the oil gets up to temp and cycled through a lot, the water all cooks off and the total level goes down.. but there isn't much oil that left the building.

So now that its low, double check the reading. Then top it off to be in the 'middle' of the range on the oil level display. Then drive it another couple of weeks and see what happens.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM
I live and drive in la. Sometimes its really hot. I checked the oil level today when i got to my destination and the indicator showed full. I will check it again tonight before I get on the road. It is my first porches so yes im very worried I dont want to run the car with out oil. Nor do I want to mess with it if its not needed.
ps. How do you get the dip stick out? Do i have unscrew it or is there a safety guard? Cause I can not seem to pull it out.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by nottoshabi
I live and drive in la. Sometimes its really hot. I checked the oil level today when i got to my destination and the indicator showed full. I will check it again tonight before I get on the road. It is my first porches so yes im very worried I dont want to run the car with out oil. Nor do I want to mess with it if its not needed.
ps. How do you get the dip stick out? Do i have unscrew it or is there a safety guard? Cause I can not seem to pull it out.
What model are you driving? I use about a quart every 4000 miles on my 09S with 26k miles. Just blame it on the high compression engine and not worry about it unless the CEL comes on.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 AM
@Michaelwww. 2000 911 carera 4 cabriolet with 88k.

On a cold start the oil indicator showed full, drove it around for 30 minutes on the high way 80+mph. After the car was nice and warm. Got back to the garage and the oil indicator showed half full. Is that normal?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
@Michaelwww. 2000 911 carera 4 cabriolet with 88k.

On a cold start the oil indicator showed full, drove it around for 30 minutes on the high way 80+mph. After the car was nice and warm. Got back to the garage and the oil indicator showed half full. Is that normal?
Yes, Long run burns off condensation in the oil and shows true oil level.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Michaelwww
What model are you driving? I use about a quart every 4000 miles on my 09S with 26k miles. Just blame it on the high compression engine and not worry about it unless the CEL comes on.
This is how NOT to do it. The cel does not substitute for properly monitoring the oil level on a regular basis. It is a last resort warning to tell you that you are at risk. Your car deserves better than this.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:37 AM
@ Gpjli. Agreed to your post I just can't seem to pull the dip stick out is it hooked to something, doe is it have a clamp of some sort or do I have to unscrew it? If I just pull it out straight like you will do on any other car it wont come out. I pulled on it a quite hard, did not want to break something or bend the metal rod. Thats why Im asking.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:24 AM
@ Gpjli. Agreed to your post I just can't seem to pull the dip stick out is it hooked to something, doe is it have a clamp of some sort or do I have to unscrew it? If I just pull it out straight like you will do on any other car it wont come out. I pulled on it a quite hard, did not want to break something or bend the metal rod. Thats why Im asking.
Sorry. Saw the 2000 but thought it was a typo. All I know about those is that the oil is checked with the motor running. If no one else responds try 993 (?) forum or dealer. Don't break it! The joke I have with my wife is "if all else fails read the instructions"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 burning oil?