997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

my oil pressure is at 5 all the time???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:34 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Where are you guys getting your info?

Page 105 of the 2007 MY manual says:

"With the engine warmed up and running at a speed of 5000 rpm, the oil pressure should be approx. 3.5 bar or higher."

Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 500
Page 105 of the 2007 MY manual says:

"With the engine warmed up and running at a speed of 5000 rpm, the oil pressure should be approx. 3.5 bar or higher."
Mine came straight out of the Porsche 997 workshop manuals.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Scan it if you can...

Old 02-23-2009, 02:06 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 500
Scan it if you can...

Old 02-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for taking the time to scan...here's the OM info...why the disparity?

Attached Files
File Type: doc
2007 OM 997.doc (555.5 KB, 474 views)
Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 500
Thanks for taking the time to scan...here's the OM info...why the disparity?
might be because the numbers in the shop book state the reading at 90* which is pretty much a cold reading

Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Saw that...if it's C then that's about 195F.

I hope they aren't checking oil pressures at 5000 rpm with a cold engine but you never know...lol

Last edited by 500; 02-23-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
I had high pressure and high level for two years with two different dealers telling me that both were normal. A couple of months ago Tech Dimensions did an oil change - same result. The tech said "not normal", drained out about two cups, and everything now "correct" if that's the right term. Level is now down a bar (where the manual says it should be) and pressure when warmed up is 3 - 3.5 at steady 2400 RPM. Jumps up to 5 when accelerating. At 17,000 odometer I've never had to add a drop of oil - perhaps because the dealer guys over filled it?

Last edited by tejoe; 02-23-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tejoe
I had high pressure and high level for two years with two different dealers telling me that both were normal. A couple of months ago Tech Dimensions did an oil change - same result. The tech said "not normal", drained out about two cups, and everything now "correct" if that's the right term. Level is now down a bar (where the manual says it should be) and pressure when warmed up is 3 - 3.5 at steady 2400 RPM. Jumps up to 5 when accelerating. At 17,000 odometer I've never had to add a drop of oil - perhaps because the dealer guys over filled it?
very good possibility there. i have thought about this and my oil indicator is at the max reading so maybe too much oil

Old 05-23-2009, 09:08 PM
ellistai is on a distinguished road
In my MY05 owner's manual, it says "With the engine warmed up and running at a speed of 5000 rpm, the engine oil pressure should be approx. 3.5 bar."

The difference between MY05 and MY07 is without having the words "or higher". So Porsche did make a revision there.

My engine oil level is 2 levels down (i.e. one level down from the max line). When driving in 4th gear at 3000 rpm, my engine oil pressure is pointing at a bit less than 5.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:27 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bara
very good possibility there. i have thought about this and my oil indicator is at the max reading so maybe too much oil
If your oil indicator is at the extreme full mark I suggest dumping a load of oil from the filter canister. Its a fast/simple job; just remove the filter canister and dump the oil; then re-install the filter/canister. Once done your oil level should drop to to one bar below max and your pressure reading should mimic what the tech manual states.

Worth a try.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:38 PM
TripleInboard is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
I didn't realize the Carrera had dry sump. I was under the impression it was only the GT3 and Turbo/GT2.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
mines always at 5 unless im coasting or sitting at light then its 3.5.. heard it was normal?

Old 05-25-2009, 05:05 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
mines always at 5 unless im coasting or sitting at light then its 3.5.. heard it was normal?
"Normal"? That's what we're trying to figure out. Appears that there is no definitive answer and explanation available from Porsche. I've had a service manager tell me that it's meaningless - "don't worry unless the warning light comes on" - and I was criticized on another thread for calling it an 'idiot light', and other 6 speeders have posted that pressure does not matter with a dry sump system.

So far I'm still in the dark!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
For most engines, the better the oil pressure they run, the healthier the engine (less bearing / oil pump wear). Why's everyone stressing over this so much?

Oh and as for thicker oils - well all oil is much thicker when cold hence the higher cold pressure. All *W40 oils (irrespective of the value of the '*') are the same thickness hot. The number after the W is the measure of their thickness when hot !! The number before the W (0/5/10/20 or whatever) is a measure of their thickness cold and makes no difference to their thickness hot! A bigger number before the W just means they're just more difficult to push around the engine when cold. All oils with the same number before the W are the same thickness cold.

If you want thicker oil when hot (Why would you? - It just means less oil gets to your bearings as the presure relief valve will open at a lower flow rate) you need a higher number after the 'W'

Lastly, I'd love for someone to explain to me how slightly overfilling the oil level can increase oil pressure (it can't)! The pressure at any given rpm and temp is defined solely by the bearing clearances and/or the pressure relief valve

Last edited by Ian_UK1; 05-25-2009 at 08:43 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my oil pressure is at 5 all the time???