997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help for first time buyer.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
If you are mainly attracted to the wider rear end on the AWD cars, I think you can get a similar look just by putting on wider rear rims (11.5") with less offset (so they stick out further). This will give the car a more muscular look and the look of a wider stance.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Newbie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Weight difference does add a different driving dynamic but the AWD has a different type of connectivity to the road (very important to note) . It's precise but less interractive . In rain or smow it adds an advantage because the car is doing the work. With the Turbo again the AWD manages the huge power increase --even when modded .

Comparing a C4S coupe to a C2S cab is almost an apples to oranges comparison because the cab adds a new twist with the cars major structural difference (convertible) coupled with a different drive .

Thank you in explaining the C4 vs C2 difference, so it not just the weight, but how the car connects to the road. I think I need some stick lessons and to go back and test drive them back to back and see if I can tell the difference and what I like more. I am sure I will be able to once I get used to to the stick and the car, but on that first go around it might be a different story.

You know what it is...I do like the wide body quite a bit, but I def like the C2S coupe as well. What I'm not sold on is the look of the C2S cab and maybe that is why the wide body stood out so much. The lines of the Cab are just not the same (although also beautiful). I am thinking of my gf in terms of the cab, but in reality I should be in love with the lines, not her. I love how Porsches look, but I am dying for one because of how they drive and I know I will definetly get more and more in tune with my car once I learn how to drive it properly as it has so much potential. So the extra 44mm in the rear won't overpower a more responsive feel. I think I'm in the C2S camp again. Or to put it another way, I am the same way with women: initially I'm all Sir Mix-a-lot on a first and second date, but it is ultimately their personality (and yes, the ride) that keeps me enthralled long term.

yrralis1, I like that 'slalom porsche' link. Looks festive in my opinion. Don't they have Porsche driving school in the states in Colorado or something as well?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
width

Originally Posted by keninirvine
If you are mainly attracted to the wider rear end on the AWD cars, I think you can get a similar look just by putting on wider rear rims (11.5") with less offset (so they stick out further). This will give the car a more muscular look and the look of a wider stance.
I'm with you ; and/or spacers and/or 305 tires.

This can wait, though. First rip up the current rears learning how to drive it.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I am one who prefers not to use spacers unless one has to . When I upgraded my brakes to the Brembo 15 in I had to use them to get wheel/rotor clearance . Fronts have a 3mm and rear a 5mm (OEM) . My goal was to stay within OEM spec and I almost opted for new wheels (Dymags) but really love my C20's .

If he likes the widebody the C4S has it right there but I do feel as a daily driver the C2S really has such overall cost to performance value --even if he just left it stock until he adjusts to the car .

It's his first Porsche , He wants to learn the manual shifting and driving skills . Give him three months and a drive in a tricked out 997S and he'll want to know more . Unless he hapens to buy a modified car or comes across a stock X51 .

Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vladm
Be very careful with CPO cars.
Not all Porsche dealers are honest! The Napleton Porsche in Chicago tried to sell me a CPO C4S cab that was re-painted all over!! Called Porsche NA and they did nothing about it even though I drove 4 hours to see the car!
I have found that in purchasing higher end cars, that a paint meter is a uniquely important tool. It's only about $300 bucks, and has saved me a few times.