997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Resale Value - Cabriolet vs. Coupe

Old 05-21-2009, 06:05 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I always thought that cabs hold their value better in %, but I guess I am wrong according to this thread.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Cabs are for showing up at the country club and driving the mistress to the beach. Coupes are just for driving. Of course the real drivers order their cars with the sunroof delete for more headroom to clear the helmet...

Old 05-21-2009, 08:13 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
^and weight savings...on both counts.
J

Old 05-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Everything else being completely equal (same year, same equipment, same everything other than one being a Cab and one a Coupe), which car would hold it's value better after a few years. Obviously I'm talking about percentage drop in price and not actual dollars as the Cab starts off at a higher price.

If there was more of one type produced than another, than I would assume the one with lower production would hold a higher percentage resale. However, I believe I saw somewhere that Porsche produces almost the same number of Cab's as they do Coupes.

So that being the case, does one hold their value (again, % based and not $$$ based) better than the other?
I think this is one of those questions, that in the end, doesn't matter much. Buy any new Porsche and it will be worth a lot less when you sell it. For my money, a difference of a couple a grand doesn't make the depreciation factor any easier to take. As for which car to buy, I prefer a Cab with a spare hard top. Gives me the options I want. I do think the Coupe is a much better looking car due in part to the hump effect of the Cab when seen from the side. Get the one you prefer. You can always trade it in later for a different one. Either way, I wouldn't buy a Pcar based on what it might be worth someday. Buy Gold instead.
As for the thread about cabs and white cars and masculinity ?? (Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "hump" when describing the Cab..) That's a new one on me but there must be a forum for Pcar owners having an identity crisis.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:42 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
As for the thread about cabs and white cars and masculinity ??
Maybe it's a California thing...
That's a new one on me but there must be a forum for Pcar owners having an identity crisis.
If you find one, let me know .

J

Old 05-26-2009, 02:08 AM
porschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really nice
Originally Posted by djantlive
depreciation is about the same i'd think. however, recent times has deepened depreciation on cabs more i think. it also depends on your location. california sells a ton of cabs.
Yeah I agree it also depends on location. I live in So Cal and there are many more cabs than coupes.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 PM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
Coupes always hold value better than convertibles...nature of the beast.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:33 AM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by porschefreak04
Yeah I agree it also depends on location. I live in So Cal and there are many more cabs than coupes.

I agree- cruising down Pacific Coast Highway from Newport Beach to Laguna Beach (nice little stretch by the ocean) in a Coupe v. Cab is a no-brainer to me- but hey- I would not be the one who deleted the sunroof for more room for the "helmet" either...

ps...as far as the Cab not being as masculine? Thats a little bit of a reach for me....

Cheers-
SD

Old 06-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is on a distinguished road
Today, it really all comes down to location, location, location. When I lived in a crappy part of the world you couldn't GIVE me a cabriolet. Now that I'm back in California, I literally have 365 days of cabriolet weather. I ordered mine with a hardtop as well for those days when the ash is heavy from the latest fire.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:53 PM
^I guess "crappy" is relative. The weather's nice, but most everything else is crappy, IMO .

J

Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 AM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
It really depends on what YOU want the car for. I bought the car as a "shuttle" to my beach house in the summer so a Cab was my(and wife) first choice.

If I were to track the car then I wouldn't have gone the Cab route..I will say though..I love hearing the engine with the top down...it's nirvana.

The market for Cab resales in this area, even in the current economy is very strong from April ..peaking in July. All the dealers I go to have pretty much sold their cab inventory, as long as they were priced right. We only get 5 good months of Cab worthy weather a year so I guess we make the most of it

Last edited by NYCPCAR; 06-08-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added to post