997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Where do you put your Garmin?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Where do you put your Garmin?

For those of you without in-dash navigation, if you use a Garmin, where do you put it? Do you use the suction cup and apply it to the center of your windshield, or do you place it elsewhere?
CATTMAN

Old 06-01-2009, 03:09 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
lower right side of WS; works fine and doesn't block forward vision.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:34 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I used the lower left windshield in my C55. Very convenient yet didn't block view. I've never figured out why people slap them right in the middle of their windshields, thus blocking their vision. The Garmin talks to you, so you don't have to have it right in front of your eyes (although the lower left windshield requires very little shifting of your eyes to look at it.).

Old 06-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Andre5 will become famous soon enoughAndre5 will become famous soon enough
Left side of the windshield and as low as possible.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:59 PM
NJTarga4 will become famous soon enough
With a Targa you can put it on the radio face and still see all you need. The open top allows adequate reception of the signals and it doesn't block your vision.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:32 PM
alirob will become famous soon enoughalirob will become famous soon enough
Garmin Position

I like the left, low part of the windshield. The only problem with that position is running the plug to the outlet. Of course on shorter excursions battery power suffices without having to plug it in. I also like the bluetooth capability for hands free use of my iPhone.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

One of the best things I ever bought.....a vent mount off ebay.

Clips into the AC vents.

Puts the GPS closer to your reach and keeps it cool in the hot sun.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:43 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alirob
I like the left, low part of the windshield. The only problem with that position is running the plug to the outlet. Of course on shorter excursions battery power suffices without having to plug it in. I also like the bluetooth capability for hands free use of my iPhone.
I installed a power outlet under the dash right above the clutch pedal, back against the firewall, and wired it to a switched position in the fuse panel.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Harvey in MD is on a distinguished road
I purchased a Garmin cup holder from Mountguys and modified it by shortening the shaft length. Very easy to do..... measure, cut & epoxy. The mount width is adjustable for a tight fit in the cup holder. When needed, I ran the Garmin power cord to the power outlet in the passenger foot well.

Works great in cup holder. The cup holder will swivel in high speed (left) turns, but will return to normal position after the turn.

http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/gn033.htm

Good luck

Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Stick it on my center console close to passenger seat

Old 06-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Pointby has a little shameless behaviour in the past
It's suppossedly illegal to put a Garmin anywhere on the front windshield. Anyone get ticketed for that? I usually put mine in the lower left of the windshield too.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:49 AM
equ
equ can only hope to improve
I pasted one of the garmin base discs on the dash top. I attach the suction cup to that. (I know from previous experience that alcohol + floss will take that base disc off a dash with no marks). This way, when the car is parked outside I just remove the suction cup/garmin and the disc on the dash is not that noticeable. (Far less than a cup stuck on the windshield)

Old 06-06-2009, 03:14 AM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I like your cup holder mount idea, very neat and clean setup.

Regards,

Old 06-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Wife Hated It

Originally Posted by Cattman
For those of you without in-dash navigation, if you use a Garmin, where do you put it? Do you use the suction cup and apply it to the center of your windshield, or do you place it elsewhere?
CATTMAN
My wife hated the suction cup thingie, so we shopped on line and found a flat-footed base that allows you to put it in the dash, and it stays put.
Mr. B

Old 06-06-2009, 06:15 PM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
+1 on the vent mount - much more convenient then a suction cup mount

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where do you put your Garmin?