997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car and Driver: C6 vs. 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 10:31 AM
TotalledA993TT is on a distinguished road
Car and Driver: C6 vs. 997

C&D found the 997 to be a better car, but was adamant that it's not $20,000 better. I'm curious to find out what Porschefiles think of this.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:07 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I think they sand bagged Chevy. Why do they get to run the "S" package against a standard Vette? Oh wait, the Vette still won.

I'm sure plenty of Porschefiles will gladly cough up the 30K to avoid the Vette stigma.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:37 PM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by 05997S

I'm sure plenty of Porschefiles will gladly cough up the 30K to avoid the Vette stigma.
Welcome to the corvetteforum 05997S , we posted on the same thread there a few days ago. Didn't detect the " stigma " tone from you there posting as "056spdvert" :

" If you want to haul ***, the Vette will not only keep up it may well outrun the 997S and certainly the standard 997.

Kudos to Chevy for making such an affordable world class sports car."

Looks like you already have the Chevy lingo going .." vert " - looking to replace the S2000 with some stigmatizing torque ?

Last edited by MKW; 11-01-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Why do they get to run the "S" package against a standard Vette?
Because the 997S isn't the best 911 offered, just like the standard C6 isn't the best Vette offered.

You think so? I was thinking Porsche wouldn't sell any cars at all with the C6 available. They'll probably be out of business real soon. Oh wait, Porsche is one of the most successful car companies in the world. What do buyers know that you don't?

Old 11-01-2004, 09:58 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by MKW
Welcome to the corvetteforum 05997S , we posted on the same thread there a few days ago. Didn't detect the " stigma " tone from you there posting as "056spdvert" :

" If you want to haul ***, the Vette will not only keep up it may well outrun the 997S and certainly the standard 997.

Kudos to Chevy for making such an affordable world class sports car."

Looks like you already have the Chevy lingo going .." vert " - looking to replace the S2000 with some stigmatizing torque ?

I owned a C5 Roadster and thought it was a pretty exceptional car. I also know that a lot of people avoid the Corvette because it is stigmatized by certain groups of enthusiasts. You can deny it all day long but if you own one you know what I'm talking about.

I could care less personally but there are people who do care what logo is on the hood of their car. I think the new C6 is another great iteration of the Corvette and the fact that it can beat an 85K porsche for 50K and change is outstanding. I think my post on CF (above) stands up as well right here.

As far as the S2000 goes, its fantastic. But I do have a couple of V8's lying about as well.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:16 PM
SD1
Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
Because the 997S isn't the best 911 offered, just like the standard C6 isn't the best Vette offered.

You think so? I was thinking Porsche wouldn't sell any cars at all with the C6 available. They'll probably be out of business real soon. Oh wait, Porsche is one of the most successful car companies in the world. What do buyers know that you don't?
Well the standard 997 was not pitted against the standard Vette, not that I care but apparently they need the GT3 to come into the game to put the standard Vette down.

Not sure what Porsche can counter with once the ZO6 is launched. I doubt that even the current Turbo will be able to beat it, not to mention the gaping disparity in price.

Chevy could be broke (financially) for all I know but their car is still faster. Kudos to Porsche for making a bunch of money, maybe they could put a little back into R&D and production and get back to the business of making fast cars. What do you think?

In any case, my opinion is that there are guys & gals who make enough money and want something more exclusive like the Porsche, that is what initially drew me to the car and I don't fault anybody for it, but I find it ironic and humorous that some people actually base their purchase decision more so on the image and exclusivity versus the pefrormance. You know form before function.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Not sure what Porsche can counter with once the ZO6 is launched. I doubt that even the current Turbo will be able to beat it, not to mention the gaping disparity in price... Chevy could be broke (financially) for all I know but their car is still faster... I find it ironic and humorous that some people actually base their purchase decision more so on the image and exclusivity versus the pefrormance.
Believe it or not, there are people who buy sports cars based on parameters other than just "who's faster". And don't think that "status" is the only other parameter outside performance that is used. After a certain minimum performance level is achieved there are plenty of buyers who look for other values in a sports car; looks, quality, service, the balance of each driving control, the balance of all the controls taken as a whole, how the car actually feels when driven, sight lines from the driver's seat, all-weather performance, and the number of seats to name a few.

But then again, there are plenty of sports car buyers/owners out there who don't understand anything except numbers generated from a stopwatch. There ability to identify the quality of the "presentation" just isn't there, or they just don't care.

Last edited by Dock (Atlanta); 11-02-2004 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Banned
997Vancity can only hope to improve
Porsche all the way only thing that annoys me though is it is a little underpowered. I mean isnt the new mustang which is under 20,000 have 300 HP? I guess i will be paying a little more for that extra 25 HP.

Old 11-02-2004, 12:18 AM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold

In any case, my opinion is that there are guys & gals who make enough money and want something more exclusive like the Porsche, that is what initially drew me to the car and I don't fault anybody for it, but I find it ironic and humorous that some people actually base their purchase decision more so on the image and exclusivity versus the pefrormance. You know form before function.
Porsche is no longer an exclusive car. I believe they build as many cars as does GM build Corvette's.

Also I have no doubt that the Porsche marque sells a lot of cars. In all seriousness, I am convinced that if the Porsche badge was placed on a Corvette, the Porschephiles would be buying it in droves and mocking the rear engine design of the Corvette.

It is the prestige thing despite all denials to the contrary.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by nberry
I am convinced that if the Porsche badge was placed on a Corvette, the Porschephiles would be buying it in droves and mocking the rear engine design of the Corvette.
You're kidding...right??

Old 11-02-2004, 04:46 AM
SD1
Believe it or not, there are people who buy sports cars based on parameters other than just "who's faster". And don't think that "status" is the only other parameter outside performance that is used. After a certain minimum performance level is achieved there are plenty of buyers who look for other values in a sports car; looks, quality, service, the balance of each driving control, the balance of all the controls taken as a whole, how the car actually feels when driven, sight lines from the driver's seat, all-weather performance, and the number of seats to name a few.

But then again, there are plenty of sports car buyers/owners out there who don't understand anything except numbers generated from a stopwatch. There ability to identify the quality of the "presentation" just isn't there, or they just don't care.
I agree completely. I am not bashing the 997 and I would be damn proud to own one if that is what I wanted. It simply did not satisfy all of my wants. Conversely, I may buy a Vette and maybe not hold it up to the same standard because its 30K cheaper. In any case I am painting a picture that I dislike the Porsche and that I have an attitude, neither of which I think is the case.

That was a funny comment about the 745Li cause that is exactly what my wife told me. She simply did not want the Lexus and it was all about the image of the car. To me it just put me to sleep, other than that its a damn impressive car. The 745Li is funky looking but its a fantastic driving car for its size and girth.

Old 11-03-2004, 08:33 AM
dgp
dgp is on a distinguished road
Oh wait, Porsche is one of the most successful car companies in the world.
Hmm...how do you define most successful? Highest net income?
Highest annual sales and growth? Highest market cap as valued by equity markets? Shareholder return for the last couple of years? Just wondering...

Old 11-03-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by dgp
Hmm...how do you define most successful?
Successful independence.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:18 PM
dgp
dgp is on a distinguished road
Successful independence.

Explain!

Old 11-03-2004, 11:27 PM
SD1
Successful independence.
When market forces dictate that you "follow" the mainstream and build and sell a product outside of your core business to survive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver: C6 vs. 997