997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Brake fluid flush

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 AM
neutron is on a distinguished road
Motul RBF660

Originally Posted by Rennsport-1
We use Motul RBF660 and we have great things to say about the fluid.
I'm getting ready to do a flush with Motul RBF600. I have two 500 ml bottles so I hope I got enough. I was wondering what color the RBF600 will be when I open the bottle?
A light amber something is in there now and I don't know the car's history. I have a power bleeder so hope I will be able to tell when I have the old fluid out by a color change.

Last edited by neutron; 01-17-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
oatmealadam is on a distinguished road
How often should I change the brake fluid? Mine doesn't appear dirty, but I also don't remember when it was last changed and the brakes feel nice and firm when stopping.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
hmmm, I'm getting mine done in 3 weeks and the dealer is charging me $140 for it.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Tracking the car, change often and use SRF for it's superior wet properties. Street only, every 2 years as suggested by Porsche. In the past I used ATE 200 / Gold, which is the same as Blue but without the dye (which you really don't want). Motul is good if you are willing to change during a track season - me, I'd rather spend the extra $50 for the SRF fluid and save the labor of one or more changes during the year. SRF lasts me all year - I have my shop flush in the early spring and don't have to worry about brake fluid all year long (typically 15 track days, 7500 miles total with street).

Old 01-18-2010, 06:54 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
You can bleed the 5th channel with the new version of Durametric testing tool. I have not done this yet, but the tool activates the ABS during the bleeding process.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by millsjq
You can bleed the 5th channel with the new version of Durametric testing tool. I have not done this yet, but the tool activates the ABS during the bleeding process.
That's what the dealer claimed they were doing and why it was going to cost me $350, instead of the $89 (including Motul 600) I actually paid at my indi. Question is, is there a point to this and is it any real benefit?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
That's what the dealer claimed they were doing and why it was going to cost me $350, instead of the $89 (including Motul 600) I actually paid at my indi. Question is, is there a point to this and is it any real benefit?
There is a point to it, that being the fact that the two systems, ABS and brakes, share the same fluid. By not changing all the fluid in the system, the older fluid in the ABS system enters the system next time you actuate the ABS system. As this is probably infrequently, that fluid could get pretty old after awhile and contaminate the rest of the fluid in the system if actuated. While I don't think it's a huge issue in the short run, but if you waited to flush the system for what I believe is a 2 year period, you do run the risk of contaminating your fresh fill sometime before you get it changed again. I'm sure others can confirm or dispel what I've stated here but to properly flush the entire system the ABS must be cycled while the fluid is being pressure bled to insure all the old fluid has been removed prior to a refill.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Well, I really wonder if the indi shops have the capabilities to do it then. Many people on here are doing at home brake flushes and having mulitiple flushes before track events. Many people aren't doing it though the dealer. Be interested to hear if others find it consequential.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:15 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
My independent shop in CT has the PWIS tool (cost something like $12k) and does it properly.