997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bmw M5 VS Merc E63 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
If your in San Fran, why not reach out to Fred (petshark, petzbra, petrhino, you get the point) he has a new CTT which I think would fit not only your wants but the same budget.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 PM
lyn997s is on a distinguished road
omg thank you guys for all the comment! guess everyone is suggesting different stuffs for me. i am not going to consider the e55 though (sorry to those who suggested it) because i just find the e63 is a much better and newer looking car (pardon my ignorance on this :d).

i probably will have the chance to drive an m5 soon! till then will i decide of which two i'd prefer.

and yes of course it is definitely a battle between performance and comfort. furthermore i do think the e63 looks better - physically, rather than the m5. but honestly i've never been a fan of mercedes.. always feel that a bmw drives WAY MUCH better than a merce. oh well. i'd give it another good long thought. back to square one. hahahahaha

thanks alot to those who helped! really appreciate it.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM
lyn997s is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dinorocz
If your in San Fran, why not reach out to Fred (petshark, petzbra, petrhino, you get the point) he has a new CTT which I think would fit not only your wants but the same budget.
i'm sorry i'm kinda new to this forum. could you kindly explain who is Fred? and those nicknames that starts with "pet"?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Now THAT is a good answer.
So, I have a 997S and am planning on getting a hybrid. Can't decide between a Prius, a Fusion or an Insight. Whadaya think? ...

Originally Posted by AlexM
Because everyone here had one of them or both and can tell unbiased truth.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 PM
sclemmons is on a distinguished road
New M5 is too heavy for me. Very cool car but at 4k pounds not for me. I might look at an M3 sedan or 335i. Dinan can kick the 335i up to 400hp I hear, and if you are in the Bay Area, you can probably demo it before you commit.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:49 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lyn997s
and yes of course it is definitely a battle between performance and comfort. furthermore i do think the e63 looks better - physically, rather than the m5. but honestly i've never been a fan of mercedes.. always feel that a bmw drives WAY MUCH better than a merce. oh well. i'd give it another good long thought. back to square one. hahahahaha

thanks alot to those who helped! really appreciate it.
I agree . That's the snag when transitioning from a car like a Porsche 911 to a sport sedan . That's why many opt for the M3 . It's big enough to fit 4 but it's small enough to not feel like a boat . It's high enough to be a daily driver just like its cousin 3 series but stands out with its extra Hp. One can opt for DCT or manual and it's less expensive PLUS it holds value fairly well.

But if you must go into the more titanic sized cars even though they perform well it's still a family car just with a lot of HP. I almost think they were built for those who wanted a Porsche 911 but also had to consider the family outings (wife. kids, dog etc) with a one car priority.

I bought an M5 once . It was back in 2000 when the E39 M5 was considered the best of the best in its time. I only kept it two months . I felt that i just wasn't ready to feel like an old man because I was still young . I found it boring and still do . Not only is it boring .. but its not cheap either .

I wish you well with no matter what car you get but I still maintain that if you must go into the big bloated beasts I would opt for one of those luxury cars which feel like one is driving in his living room and forget about performance. That's what your 911 is for.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lyn997s
i'm sorry i'm kinda new to this forum. could you kindly explain who is Fred? and those nicknames that starts with "pet"?
Fred is a well known 6speed mbr and changes cars like underwear, so I'm guessing he's had both of those options and currently has the option i suggested, a Cayenne Turbo, much better than an E63 or an M5, in my humble opinion. As for the pet nicknames thats just his way of i guess giving more character to his cars,

Old 08-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Majac4122 is on a distinguished road
I drove the M5 at the M school in spartanburg and loved it. I almost bought one instead of my c4s. My mom has a E500 and I really don't feel it's anymore comfortable than the M5. I'd chose the M5 because of the performance and the relative similarities on the luxury side. I'm obviously happy with my C4S, but the next M5 might be the wifey's daily...and sometimes mine.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
karabiner98k is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JmanE55
OP: What are you looking for in a sedan? If performance, you should go with the E55, the 55K engine is great and with a little modification (Pulley & ECU tune ~ $1800), you will leave the E63 or M5 behind... The E63 revised styling is nicer but it's missing the low end grunt. The M5 is a nice car but SMG is NOT for everyone, it's fast in triple digits speed but how often can you use such power? The E55 has crazy low end torque and it will plan many smiles on your face from a dig acceleration. GL with your decision.
Yes,E55 has massive torque but that tally 5 speed auto wastes all that torque.It is the torque AT WHEELS which propel a car not AT FLYWHEEL,if that was the case M5 would never be that fast and flexible.Look at every roll on acceleration times in magazine tests and you will see M5 is so strong at low RPM and high gear acceleration,even stronger than many turbocharged and supercharged cars.For example M5 in 7th gear is as flexible as E63 in 6th gear and that really shows the importance of gearing.I like cars that have acceptable acceleration in all gears not those with heavily overdriven or improperly geared transmission.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
cephas is on a distinguished road
Panamera.........

Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
My advice...get a good drive in both cars. I did and after 30 minutes ...well you can see what I choose. The M5 SMG was too jerky and un-smooth for my daily driving. And as far as the speed..ran a best 12.1 @116.7 stock on stock Conti's. Better than any porsche except the turbos. And close to those too! Good Luck

Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 PM
EAMGC4S is on a distinguished road
Someone else said it perfectly as well..... Handling or comfort. In all honesty most people do not drive an M5 or E63 to max potential on the street. They handle well in daily driving and the E63 is significantly more comfortable and behaved in traffic. I had a choice of the M5 or E63, especially after coming from an E46 M3 w/ stick. I was in your position due to traffic and coupe body style. I went with the E63 and that has been my daily driver since. I must say that it has been my favorite car of all because of it's inherent comfort, ability for blistering speed, and great handling in normal roadgoing situations. I recently picked up a C4S and compare it to my previous M3 in handling and ride. Certainly the corner carving is better than anything else but the E63 is still great for me. The Porsche dealer asked if I was trading in the E63 and I was almost offended. They will have to pry that car from my cold dead fingers. When my extended warranty runs out I will probably get another one or upgrade to an S65... Will see. I was initially skeptical of MB because of all the info I read on forums but it has truly been a pleasure. Much like any car, a 30 minute test drive is no way to gain appreciation for what a car has to offer. I have NEVER regretted my decision. My brother has an E39 M5 (previous model design) and is planning to upgrade to an E63 based on his experiences with mine. I am sure this car is not for everyone but it has served me very well.