997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Initiating oil level measurement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 PM
maximumboost is on a distinguished road
Initiating oil level measurement

Hello

Switch ignition on (do not start the engine) The engine-oil level measurment appears in the on-bord computer.

This is in the manual book. But in my 2009 carrera4 DFI nothing appears if the ignition switch on and engine not starting. i can chick only when the engine is running is that normal ? even oi is hot.

Thank you

Old 09-01-2009, 04:23 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I'm sure a 997.2 owner will respond to this, but my understanding is the DFI engines only check oil when hot.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Hello ntlgnt1

Thanks for the fast response
I mean in my car i can chick only if the engine is running.

Thank you

Last edited by maximumboost; 09-01-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:55 PM
vexed is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
I'm sure a 997.2 owner will respond to this, but my understanding is the DFI engines only check oil when hot.
Correct, the oil needs to be hot. If you try it when you first start the car it will not perform the measurement. Also you need to be idling, not moving, , and obviously on a level surface. It seems the warmer the oil the faster the measurement.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
To check oil in a 09 DFI engines must be:

hot above 150 degrees
on perfectly level surface such as you garage floor
car must at idle and not moving

This is explained in the owners manual.

Also a little tip for ya.....after running aroudn all day and driving through your neighboorhood and into the garage.....at idel check the oil. Say for example the oil level indicator read in the middle or in the lower range. DO NOT ADD OIL!!!!! turn the car off wait for 3-5 minutes, re-start the car and reheck the oil level. 9 times out of 10 it will read higher. It is very easy to over fill a 09 DFI engine. It is better to be low that have to much oil in the engine.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Thank you so much ntlgnt1 vexed mdrums

Old 09-01-2009, 06:18 PM
gjnockie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdrums
To check oil in a 09 DFI engines must be:

hot above 150 degrees
on perfectly level surface such as you garage floor
car must at idle and not moving

This is explained in the owners manual.

Also a little tip for ya.....after running aroudn all day and driving through your neighboorhood and into the garage.....at idel check the oil. Say for example the oil level indicator read in the middle or in the lower range. DO NOT ADD OIL!!!!! turn the car off wait for 3-5 minutes, re-start the car and reheck the oil level. 9 times out of 10 it will read higher. It is very easy to over fill a 09 DFI engine. It is better to be low that have to much oil in the engine.
I totally agree with mdrums! I thought my oil was slightly low on my 09 C2S so after a complete warm up I shut the car off and re-started it 15 mins. later and the oil level then read full! I suppose this means that you must have the engine at proper operating temp and then shut it off to allow time for the oil to return to the oil pan.

So the rule should be to take several readings before you rush to add oil to make sure you really need it! As for me 400 miles so far and my oil level is still full.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I've seen the case of getting a low range reading, and then restarting the engine a few minutes later reveals a higher level reading.

Whats not clear to me, is which reading is the correct one to use. The measurement system has a timer in it that should run long enough to ensure the oil gets to the right level. Maybe the timer needs extending to allow more drop down to the sensor. However, I'm not convinced that the 2nd (higher) reading isn't too high. The question is, what is the right reading and how can I repeatably reproduce that reading. The current software and embedded sensor does not seem to do that.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:13 PM
155mph is on a distinguished road
oh how I miss the good old days with a real dip stick. Checking oil in the 997.1 is a pain. Most of the time when I go to check it, it indicates that I need to wait 20 to 30 minutes. THen I forget to go back. So, I try to check it when I am getting gas and the car is off. It seems to be shorter, maybe 5 minutes. But it doesn't take 5 minutes to get gas, so then I need to wait another minute or so...tick, tick, tick, watching the seconds....after getting my receipt before starting the car and driving off....This is just so frigging frustrating.....

Old 09-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 155mph
..tick, tick, tick, watching the seconds....after getting my receipt before starting the car and driving off....This is just so frigging frustrating.....

On the 997.2 its not quite that bad, but equally annoying.
I try to remember to check it when I park the car in the garage at the end of the day after driving home. But its hot then... and the clock says 59, 58, 57.... argH! Nothing like needless idling in the garage for a minute. Yeah, I could go inside and wait 5 minutes and then come out and start the car and probably only get a 20 second countdown.. but I forget, plus there's a needless restart and the exhaust in the garage.

For the 997.2 I suspect the designed time is after getting gas. The oil is warm, but has had a chance to cool a bit.. but remembering to check the oil level at the gas station, before pulling away is such a pain.... especially given my oil stash is at home in the garage.. yeah, I don't like driving around with a 1 qt can in the boot.

How about a factory provided cubby in the engine bay to slide a quart bottle, given the need to top off?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:10 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
It beats opening up the hood to check the oil.... But why does it burn so much oil??? I have almost 10k miles on an 09 targa 4s and I think I migh have added 4 quarts so far...... wow.........

Old 09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Minok

How about a factory provided cubby in the engine bay to slide a quart bottle, given the need to top off?
I'd settle for a real dip stick. For the life of me I do not understand how this electronic dip stick is an advancement.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:00 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Minok
How about this http://e-partssales.com/miva/merchan...ry_Code=996int

Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 155mph
I'd settle for a real dip stick. For the life of me I do not understand how this electronic dip stick is an advancement.
Exactly. What's the benefit of the electronic one? At least with a dispstick you can also look at the oil and quickly gauge it's condition.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by aggie57
Exactly. What's the benefit of the electronic one? At least with a dispstick you can also look at the oil and quickly gauge it's condition.
Exactly!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Initiating oil level measurement