997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front bumper removal and magnetic license plate holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
If I have such a heavy foot, why do I have so many photos of you ahead of me?
But I can attest to the security of your front plate and the abundance of bug splatters that day.
Because you slowed down to take the pics........sheeeesh!
I have videos showing otherwise...YES...... v-i-d-e-o!
Here is Ken's pic next to my pics...

Name:  StacyFront.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  62.0 KB

Here is a couple of pics.....showing how easy it can be pulled off for washing/photo-shoots and detailing!

Name:  DSC_3047.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  81.2 KB

AND here you can see NO damage at all to the front bumper!

Name:  DSC_3201.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  169.5 KB

Last edited by justatoy; 07-22-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
last pic is sweet! so glad I don't have to deal with front plate, but I used to live elsewhere and can appreciate this mod!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
i wish i can pay someone to do this for me i new york....

Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
I could do it for you.....BUT it might not be cost effective for you,LOL!

It really is an easy job if you have the time....and judging by the weather you guys have been having,YOU have time!

Stacy

Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
Me too!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
UPDATED the first thread......

I originally used fast curing windshield urethane to hold the magnets BUT found that after 2 years of pulling it off and on the urethane(being rubbery) that two sets of the magnets pulled off because they hold so strong.
SO what I have tried now is a product called JB Weld......so I did a couple last night and this stuff is way more solid than the urethane.PLUS the JB Weld can be sanded nicely,so that the back of the plate looks like a professional product.I will update with pictures and results when done!

Cheers,

Stacy

Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
JB Weld...good for gluing, good for welding:

lol

Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu
JB Weld...good for gluing, good for welding:

lol
LOL....I don't think I would go that far with it! BUT the stuff is quite useful for what I am doing.......

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 06-28-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 AM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Hey Stacy
I don't know the JB Weld product, but I can absolutely recommend 3M 5200 for this job. The 4200 would work as well and is removable with solvent. Both products are available in fast-cure versions. 5200 is available in black, though it's more difficult to find.
These are polyurethane adhesives, but very different from the windshield bond you used previously.
I've used both 3m items in marine applications. They will not fail.
One additional suggestion - the windshield urethane may not have been 100% compatable with the materials in the bumper or the plate. That may have caused a 'delamination' of the bond. Quite unlikely with the 4200 or 5200.
I have no association with 3M. But on my boat, I cannot have products that fail.
Good luck with the project. And many thanks for the write-up.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by TomE
Hey Stacy
I don't know the JB Weld product, but I can absolutely recommend 3M 5200 for this job. The 4200 would work as well and is removable with solvent. Both products are available in fast-cure versions. 5200 is available in black, though it's more difficult to find.
These are polyurethane adhesives, but very different from the windshield bond you used previously.
One additional suggestion - the windshield urethane may not have been 100% compatable with the materials in the bumper or the plate. That may have caused a 'delamination' of the bond. Quite unlikely with the 4200 or 5200.
I have no association with 3M. But on my boat, I cannot have products that fail.
I managed two years with the windshield urethane,so that was pretty good BUT I definitely wanted something that would last longer which is why I used the JB Weld.....
I am not familiar with the ones you listed but I am sure there are many products that will work.Thanks for listing a few more for people to try!
Another product line is Lord Fusor...they make some neat bonding materials!

Stacy

Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 AM
JCS
JCS will become famous soon enough
I use a license plate mount which bolts into the front tow hook inlet .
No holes to drill and nothing touches the bumper .
I've been using it for more than 5 years now on my last two cars and it works and looks great.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 AM
rubber_ducky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JCS
I've been using it for more than 5 years now on my last two cars and it works and looks great.
I use the same thing, but lots of people don't like the look (off center) and it is a bit more of a PITA removing/replacing it (for car shows, track days, etc.) than a magnetic solution.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by JCS
Yeah I looked at that option but didn't like it for two reasons.....

1-sits off to one side(not centered)

2-I do not like how you can see behind it when mounted,it sticks out past the bumper

BUT glad it worked for you!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 06-29-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Mojo31 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TomE
Hey Stacy
Definitely agree on the 3M products. Use 5200 for a permanent bond and 4200 if you think you may want to remove it some day.

I've used both extensively on a variety of sailboats, and they both perform very well.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:26 AM
sullivas is on a distinguished road
Great job with the details!
Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Front bumper removal and magnetic license plate holder