997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Booster seats in 997 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
Booster seats in 997 Cabriolet?

Has anyone put KID BOOSTERS in the REAR SEATS of a 997 CABRIOLET? If so, which model seat? Can you post some pictures?

I have 5 yr old twins..and they always want to ride in my car...but my current booster seats (Graco) are a bit too large at the base and thus are a bit wobbly.

I've seen lots of threads on getting convertible seats, rear facing seats, and standard boosters into the rear in COUPES...but there is very little on booster seats in cabriolets. (NOTE: The cabriolet does not have a latch, so only the shoulder belts can be used. ) I know the seats can be removed to create a little more leg room (~4")...but I do not want to mess with the car - I just want to put boosters in from time to time.

Any advice or PICTURES is appreciated.

-M

Old 10-04-2009, 09:04 AM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
I measured the width in the rear seat & bucket.

There is a out 15" width at the front of the seat & ~ 13" towards the rear.

When I pulled out the cushion, it looks like the bucket and coushion are tapered about the same.

Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2009, 03:38 PM
mstams is on a distinguished road
Check out this link for previous discussion and pics. I bought a few extra Fisher Price boosters when shopping for my car. PM me if interested.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mendation.html

Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Delray 997S is infamous around these parts
I searched for quite some time for appropriate rear-seat booster accomodations for my little 3 1/2 year old sidekick. The best option for me actually turned out to be the Porsche kid plus booster. It cost 275.00, but it was made for the car, so it fits perfectly. I really thought all the fooling around with other booster seats to save a hundred bucks wasn't worth it- I'm happy with my choice.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:01 PM
How does that booster stay in place in the seat? Does it latch?...or is it like a normal low-tech booster (where the kid+booster are held 100% by the seatbelt?)

I thought the Porsche seats required some sort of special adapter that clips into the seat base.

Can you post a pic?

-M

Originally Posted by Delray 997S
I searched for quite some time for appropriate rear-seat booster accomodations for my little 3 1/2 year old sidekick. The best option for me actually turned out to be the Porsche kid plus booster. It cost 275.00, but it was made for the car, so it fits perfectly. I really thought all the fooling around with other booster seats to save a hundred bucks wasn't worth it- I'm happy with my choice.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Delray 997S is infamous around these parts
The seat and child are held by the cross-shoulder belt- there are no latches. I don't have a pic, but the whole thing simply rests on the rear seat and then is secured by the seatbelt when in use.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by mshanler
How does that booster stay in place in the seat? Does it latch?...or is it like a normal low-tech booster (where the kid+booster are held 100% by the seatbelt?)

I thought the Porsche seats required some sort of special adapter that clips into the seat base.

Can you post a pic?

-M
Most boosters are kept in place by seat belt only. It's more just to properly position the belt for a smaller passenger.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
jjparkusa is on a distinguished road
The porsche booster seat is actually made by britax and I bought the exact same model for a lot less than buying the porsche one. I will check the model when I get home but it worked pretty well when the bottom was adjusted down to its narrowest width. I would also consider selling mine to you for cheap if you are interested.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah. The Fisher Price booster is also made by Britax. They are good seats for less money than the Porsche brand.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:52 PM
So...today, I spent 2 hours testing car seats...

The BRITAX PARKWAY I saw was too wide at the base. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong "Parkway' model, but I didn't even bother putting it in the car. The base was over 15" wide. I did see a very thin looking Britax booster in a 'baby warehouse' type place...(I didn't catch the model)...but it looked really flimsy.

The RECARO VIVO...I think is the best 3point-only belt booster, as it cradled perfectly in the bucket seat and had very little sway...but due to the belt-receptical position...it was a little harder to fasten my models in (I brought my 5 year old twins).

I ended up buying the SUNSHINE KIDS RADIAN 80. (My state now requires kids to be 200 pounds and 6 feet tall before they are allowed to ride without boosters.)

My wife and I convinced ourselves that a 5-point harness in a convertible makes a little more sense. The RADIAN cradles in the bucket seat really well. (I'll need to use the 3 point seat-belt w/ the C-clip to fasten the booster to the seat. I'll post a picture as soon as I drop them in.) I also think the 5-point harness is going to be a little easier to manipulate. It is tough to reach over the kid & seat to get the seat belt buckle in the recepticle.

-M

Old 10-10-2009, 08:49 PM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
Here are my Porsche booster seats. I removed the bottom seat cushion and the seats fits perfectly.

John

Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2009, 07:22 AM
JohnAMG, - those do appear to fit the best. Is that the Porsche "junior plus" seat? How much were they? Also, if that is indeed really a Brittax..do you know which Brittax model it is?

I'm going to return the Radians I bought 24 hours ago. I got the 3-point belt in pretty secure and the base was locked in fairly well.....but the top of the seat still wobbled a little bit too much. (There is no tether latch on the cabrio). I feel like a spaz....and more importantly, my kids are going to rebel when I tell them they still cannot ride in daddy's car.

Regards,

-M

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
Here are my Porsche booster seats. I removed the bottom seat cushion and the seats fits perfectly.

John

Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 AM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
Those seats are the booster seats for 40 LB+/ 4 year old+ from Porsche. I bought it from Suncoast(vendor here) for $250 back in May. These seats are very similiar to the Britax Parkway booster seats that I have in other cars. However the Britax Parkway base is slightly bigger and doesn't fit snuggly like the Porsche's. It would work considering it is whole lot cheaper. However I ended up with the Porsche booster because it is the best fitting seat for 911. I am in Toronto now but when I return home today I will try the Britax booster again and take some photo.

John

Old 10-11-2009, 12:08 PM
From looking at the pics above, the Fisher Price seats appear to be slightly smaller (more narrow) than both the Porsche seats and the Britax Parkway seats. I don't use the seat back for my 6 year old daughter (her preference), but she loves having the extra room on the side for the attachable cup holder (see pic). There is just enough room for it to be attached and plenty of room without it. It is also made by Britax as mentioned before but I'm not sure of the exact model.

Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks. I picked up a pair of RECARO VIVO's ($99 each) to get me by in the short term. The model is good for 30-100 lbs. The Vivos were really tough to locate in stores near me... although lots of places had them on-line. Having the booster seat reclined (3 positions on this model) actually makes it a bit easier to buckle the kids in. I wish the seat belt buckles in the rear extended up another 2 inches. Another nice thing about the Recaro in a cabrio is the extra large side-impact pillow.

No cup holders on these boosters...but this is a drink-free car.

Anyway, here are a pic of the Recaros (black & red).

For giggles, here is also a pic of the older Graco Turbo "Princess" Booster (pink) - They were too wide to fit in the bucket.

-M

Attached Images    

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Booster seats in 997 Cabriolet?