997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2 weeks in...rattles and breaks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 01:37 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
With 24 years worth of 7 BMWs, I never had problems with the cars and I would have gotten another one. Except they just don't make a 911 type car - in that their current cars don't feel as connected to driving as a 911 (not really the ultimate driving machine they claim to be and once seemed to be). And they are just not beautiful to look at - more strange looking and awkward, like a teenager just hitting puberty. But I think they are well built , nice driving cars.

I find my 911 to be very solid though and I wonder that it doesn't have rattles as it transmits every nook and cranny of a bump in the road into the car. It won't surprise me if it gets some.

Originally Posted by JohnM
Consumer reports has reported that the 997 is a rattle trap
I subscribe to Consumer Reports. The 911 is rated 96 out of 100 with an 88% customer would by again rating. In fact it was my spelunking through Consumer Reports that got me onto my 911. I got so turned off by the "new coke" 996 design that I had put it out of my mind - CR put it back on my list and one week later, I was driving away with a 997.2. No where in the CR articles or reviews is the car described as a "rattle trap" or anything like that.

Not as plush as a BMW and not as mush as a Lexus, but I don't think that was ever the point with this car. I taped a show that someone pointed out, Voyages: History of the 911, on the Int. History channel. Well worth watching to see where our cars come from philosophically. After watching I am thankful to even have AC and a stereo.

Nice to hear that the 993's are that solid. I like that 993/M3 combo idea - definitely could make sense for some.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:28 PM
kungfufishing will become famous soon enough
Thank you all for your input - I really appreciate it. I just got home from work and am going to go check out an M3 here in half an hour or so.

I'm definitely not obsessed with absolute quiet - for the most part, I think I knew what I was getting. I just don't want it to rattle quite SO much, and the mirror control **** popping off in my hand as I was driving down the road thinking "geez this thing rattles a lot for an 80K car..." did not help.

However, I do find myself taking the long way home more often than not and a lot of the time will just take a "lap" or two around the curvy roads near our house prior to actually going home. The actual driving part itself is terrific and I love it. I mean, I just skipped my exit on the way home so I could drive the curves and long off/on ramps on the next exit. Great fun. If they can just fix a few buzzes and damper the significant rattles I'll be happy. I bought this thing with the intention of driving it for a long time. I just don't want to be driven nuts (or more nuts).

Great forum, really appreciate all of the input and opinion.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:34 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Steve, check under the "reliability" box in CR. Under "Rattles", The black dot=rattle trap. I consider the info reliable, since the car has awesome owner satisfaction and the car got a great rating. Seems like they don't have a "bone to pick" with porsche. If you also look at the 996, the car had much less rattles. They also noted in the review all of the bad gaps on the interior...presumably to fit the leather clearances. Porsche was just too cheap to mold different parts if you didn't spring for the leather option! At least it helps me see all of the screws inside my dash (make sure none of them suckers is missing!)

Old 10-03-2009, 02:55 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JohnM
Steve, check under the "reliability" box in CR. Under "Rattles", The black dot=rattle trap.
Oh yes, but that was '06 (black) and '07 (not quite black), so getting better is the trend . Hoping by now it is back up to 996 standards.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM
DaveC will become famous soon enough
I've had several Porsches, 986, 987, now 997.2. Wife has an 08 Boxster S. Occasional rattle or buzz, but not a rattle trap by any means. For my part nothing within my financial reach drives as well as a Porsche, but that's me and not you. Obviously the way the car drives and entertains you behind the wheel does not delight you sufficiently to justify the price or prevent you from focusing on the rattles. When that's the case it's time to cut your losses and find something else. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, I suppose I'm hooked. The M3 is really nice, quiet, rides better, has a better stereo, is fast and handles pretty well. However, I knew within about 20 seconds that I wasn't trading my car out for the M3. I just need to get these rattles fixed and a single piece mirror control ****, taking it in monday.
Thing just accelerates, brakes, and handles too well, something intangibly great in the way it all goes together.

thanks again for all of the advice and opinion. I'll keep you posted with what happens at the dealer (I'm sure you are all losing sleep over it...)

Old 10-03-2009, 05:26 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kungfufishing
Well, I suppose I'm hooked. The M3 is really nice, quiet, rides better, has a better stereo, is fast and handles pretty well. However, I knew within about 20 seconds that I wasn't trading my car out for the M3. I just need to get these rattles fixed and a single piece mirror control ****, taking it in monday.
Thing just accelerates, brakes, and handles too well, something intangibly great in the way it all goes together.

thanks again for all of the advice and opinion. I'll keep you posted with what happens at the dealer (I'm sure you are all losing sleep over it...)
Why didn't you drive the M3 and get your ducks aligned before starting this thread? The 911 is a solid chassis, but it will never be a vault - it is a sports car.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:42 PM
EJ-997 will become famous soon enough
My passenger seat buckle was banging against the seat. I had to adjust the buckle height and it no longer rattles. This was the only rattle in my 08C2S MT at 10500 miles.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:54 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
to gary 911, , in regards to his car being a lemon.....lol
to jjbravo, your speaks a million word.... :-) enjoy your porsche

Old 10-03-2009, 06:43 PM
talkinghead is on a distinguished road
[quote=kungfufishing;2565663]However, I knew within about 20 seconds that I wasn't trading my car out for the M3. I just need to get these rattles fixed and a single piece mirror control ****, taking it in monday.
quote]

Yes, had the same conclusion! Either turn up the Bose or get ear plugs. You really need both cars in the garage, that way you can bounce back and forth depending on your mood!

Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
They do rattle and squeek.

Some call it ghost of Ferdinand Porsche. Nettlesome as they are, most rattles are easily corrected. To this day you can dismantle a 911 using simple tools; t's still so darned mechanically pure! Give your dealer a chance to fix them.

Most 911 rattles are plastic on plastic, which is corrected with liberal use of felt tape. Sunroof rattles are common, as they are in BMW's, which pretty universally require new seals every 3 years, regardless of model. Every BMW I've owned (about 10?) have required sunroof or rear deck repair to alleviate rattles and/or squeeks.

Bottom line: Yep, Porsche should be more like Lexus in terms of interior perfection. However, other than that, they are untouched. Is it unforgivable for a $100k car so have such cheap interiors, yeah, I think so, but even so, how do I feel about my 997S: love, love, love it!
CATTMAN

Old 10-05-2009, 03:32 PM
In followup, I took the car in today. They fixed the mirror **** and both rattles. I'M SO HAPPY. In light of my prior complaint, I would like to point out that my experience at Jackie Cooper in Tulsa today was excellent - I got to meet the guys who worked on my car and they obviously cared about doing a good job. Now, back to previously scheduled programming.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:36 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Great news. Hopefully you can now enjoy the car the way it was intended to be enjoyed.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:17 PM
mstams is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kungfufishing
In followup, I took the car in today. They fixed the mirror **** and both rattles. I'M SO HAPPY.
So what did they do for the dash speaker rattles?

I had an instrument panel buzz that the dealer fixed early on with foam rubber. Now I'm noticing a passenger dash noise that sounds like crumpling paper. Still trying to narrow down its source.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AlexM
No rattles in my 09. None. If I hit a bump, everything hits that bump in harmony.

+1 No rattles in my 07.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 weeks in...rattles and breaks?