997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2 weeks in...rattles and breaks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:21 AM
kungfufishing will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mstams
So what did they do for the dash speaker rattles?

I had an instrument panel buzz that the dealer fixed early on with foam rubber. Now I'm noticing a passenger dash noise that sounds like crumpling paper. Still trying to narrow down its source.

What I thought was a loose grille turned out to be a speaker that was not properly seated, so they stuck it in correctly. The highlight of my day without question.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear about your problems. My 07 997S coupe had more rattles and buzzes than all three of my e46 M3s ( 3 of them) combined. My current 08 997S coupe is rattle free.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:09 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kungfufishing
Well, I suppose I'm hooked. The M3 is really nice, quiet, rides better, has a better stereo, is fast and handles pretty well. However, I knew within about 20 seconds that I wasn't trading my car out for the M3. I just need to get these rattles fixed and a single piece mirror control ****, taking it in monday.
Thing just accelerates, brakes, and handles too well, something intangibly great in the way it all goes together.

thanks again for all of the advice and opinion. I'll keep you posted with what happens at the dealer (I'm sure you are all losing sleep over it...)
I am pretty sure it's the sunroof that is making one of the noises you describe when going over bumps. I have the same noise and it goes away when the sunroof is open as well as sounds like it it coming from the rear. If you lubricate (or have the dealer lubricate) the sunroof seal that noise will surely go away and you will have one less noise to worry about.

Glad to hear you got the rattles fixed.

Last edited by ///MJFDDS; 10-06-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
For 78 and change its not a bad deal. I paid 103 and change to get the exact car I wanted (knowing it would never sit on a lot for me).

But you have to remember these cars are not engineered to drive on the crappy US roads we have, but to be performance cars for the world in general. If you want a car that can absorb more impact and produce less rattle over some of the crap that passes for a street or highway in the US (vs the smooth as silk ribbons of asphalt that are the Autobahn).. .you need a car more designed for that.. and a luxury car will better fit the bill than a Porsche sports car.

But from the sounds of it, and not knowing the exact conditions of the area you ride in, it does appear there are some rattles in the car. Have the dealer address them. I'd expect there are things they can do. It would be nice if Stuttgart test-drove each care over a coblestoned Praque road-coarse for noises and rattles... but I don't think that is a key element of the final check sequence.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:10 PM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
I have an 08 C2S Cab with 5.5k miles on it. It has developed a fairly consistent creaking sound coming from the passenger seat/passenger door area. IIRC, I believe some people found a creaking sound like this was able to be fixed by the dealership by adjusting how tightly the door closed. Anyone confirm?

Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bwiele
I have an 08 C2S Cab with 5.5k miles on it. It has developed a fairly consistent creaking sound coming from the passenger seat/passenger door area. IIRC, I believe some people found a creaking sound like this was able to be fixed by the dealership by adjusting how tightly the door closed. Anyone confirm?
997 car should not squick, creak or rattle - as long as it is on warranty just drop it to dealer and get `em to fix it. they know how to fix it all

Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 AM
mmmazing will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mnmatt
I get the sunroof rattle occasionally - but mostly not. It did sound like it was coming from the rear until I did the same experiment and figured out what it was.

During cold weather I used to get an annoying rattle out of the drivers side dash - but a mention to the dealer and they adjusted something last service and it's hasn't come back for 10k miles.

As far as if it rattles or buzzes more - not for me. What I have found is it is so tightly built I do notice any rattles or buzzes more than I normally would, - like, there used to be a rattle coming from by the passenger seat when no one was in it, until I figured out it was the seat belt rattling up against the seat, adjusted it and it's gone.

I would give your dealer a chance to remedy what annoys you, and give the car time to settle in. I have never owned a car that as consistantly puts a smile on my face when I drive it, and I couldn't do that if it were rattling and buzzing away...

Congrats on your purchase and I hope you get it figured out so you enjoy it as much on the straights as the curves!
What rattle did you have coming out of driver side dash. Every once in a while, when I turn off my car it sounds like something is rolling there, but I can reproduce it at a dealer.

Thanks,

Alex

Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Only 1 of the 4 911's I've had, 911, 964, 993 and now 997, has ever had lasting problems. The 964 and 993 were brand new and the dealer worked everything out to my satisfaction.

I've had others, Nissan, BMW, Corvette, etc., but nothing compares to the 911 overall, at least in my opinion.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:49 PM
pennafxu550 is on a distinguished road
08 997 has a weird ticking on the driver side right behind me (almost sounds like sintered brakes cooling) annoying as hell. I either blast stereo or have windows down. I have noticed that the rear headliner looks like its about to rip off with the windows down... Otherwise love the car...

Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by pennafxu550
08 997 has a weird ticking on the driver side right behind me (almost sounds like sintered brakes cooling) annoying as hell. I either blast stereo or have windows down. I have noticed that the rear headliner looks like its about to rip off with the windows down... Otherwise love the car...
If it's a metallic sound, I think it's a door adjustment.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Yea whats up with the headliner with the windows down cruising at 50 60 it looks like its going to rip off and fly out the window.