997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Some notes from the Track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by obsessed
Awesome! Doubt if lack of fade is due to custom caliper paint - what pads and fluid do you use? I use Pagid RS29 yellows and was using ATE Super Blue, haven't had any fading since I switched to Motul RBF 600.

I forgot to note my 18 year old son also drove the car 10 days this season - so car has actually had 33 days of intermediate and advanced HPDE, often with back to back sessions as his group ended and mine started. Currently a few days into our 3rd set of front pads and rotors for the season. Rotors always die from excessive cracking before they wear anywhere near minimum thickness. Some days you can hear the rotors cracking as they cool - even with the GT3 cooling ducts and cool down laps.
I am using Pagid Yellows and ATE Blue, I have the same cracking issue with my brakes rotors.

33 days is nuts, I did 13 days and thought that it was a lot of time. Well done.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Banned
Sargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of light
Awsome pics and experiance. How did you enjoy the M3 on the track? It looks like a 99' and exactly what I bought new in 99', great car for the money. I had a similiar experiance w/ a stock car @ Pocono. I took it 10 times solo aroung the 2.5 behind a pace car and he let me go all out 100% for the last 5 laps, due to the confidence he had in me. I hit 185 down the straight. I will look into this porsche event and get in it one day.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:38 AM
AllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the rough
I use Motul RBF600, cup car ducts, Pagid RS19/29 and until recently, cup car rotors. I got tired of the cup rotors cracking so I've moved to slotted. I also make sure I run a full lap or two for cool down and when I'm on the track I use proper braking techniques where I start with near 100% braking and then trail off as opposed to a track newbie's method of easing on the brakes and pressing the brakes harder as the corner approaches.

I love the brakes on my car - I change fluid at the start of the year and then don't have to bleed the brakes throughout the season. This year I changed the fluid halfway through purely as a precautionary measure while I was installing new rotors and pads. I've never had any sign of brake fade or loss of stopping power in any form, even when I'm on the track for 30-40 mins. I'm a happy guy.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 PM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by AllanJ
I use Motul RBF600, cup car ducts, Pagid RS19/29 and until recently, cup car rotors. I got tired of the cup rotors cracking so I've moved to slotted. I also make sure I run a full lap or two for cool down and when I'm on the track I use proper braking techniques where I start with near 100% braking and then trail off as opposed to a track newbie's method of easing on the brakes and pressing the brakes harder as the corner approaches.

I love the brakes on my car - I change fluid at the start of the year and then don't have to bleed the brakes throughout the season. This year I changed the fluid halfway through purely as a precautionary measure while I was installing new rotors and pads. I've never had any sign of brake fade or loss of stopping power in any form, even when I'm on the track for 30-40 mins. I'm a happy guy.
Alan, that's great! I take it your car is a GT3. No slotted disks available yet for 997S, been looking for them...

Old 10-13-2009, 12:12 PM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
33 days is nuts, I did 13 days and thought that it was a lot of time. Well done.[/quote]

That's how I came by "Obsessed". Still might be able to get a couple more days in before things are done for the season here in the NE...

Old 10-13-2009, 12:21 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Great to see posts from guys who drive these cars like they're built to and well done Jason for taking what is obviously your pride and joy out on the track.

After you've been to a few track days you'll probably look at those other people starting out and laugh at how so many of them have similar feelings. It's over 30 years now since my first track day and I still remember that myself - and the wonderful relaxed feeling driving home afterwards.

Now that you've taken the first step don't stop. Obsessed is the right word......

Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 PM
AllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by obsessed
Alan, that's great! I take it your car is a GT3. No slotted disks available yet for 997S, been looking for them...
Yep...996 GT3.

I'm now running ATE slotted rotors up front meant for a Cayenne. Yep, you read that right. ATE PremiumOne slotted rotors from Tire Rack for $130 each. Beats over $300 each for cup rotors and they'll last much longer. Same diameter/thickness as my old PCCB rotors (350mm x 34mm). These are heavy rotors so they aren't helping my unsprung weight any and I drilled a mounting hole for one of the rotor retaining screws (Cayenne mounts rotors differently than my car).....but they're working great.

I'll buy them again.

(the rear brakes on a 996 GT3 are barely used so I'm sticking with the cup rotors in the rear)

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-13-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added detail