997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

About legality of Blinder Extreme M25 laser jammer.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 PM
RPRyan55 is infamous around these partsRPRyan55 is infamous around these parts
I've been told that lasers only work on flat surfaces - and those are rare on the front of a Porsche 911. That said, license plates are flat and the rear makes a good target. For those of you driving through Illinois, GEICO just donated 500 laser guns to the Illinois State Police.

I use a Jammer and after it alerts me I turn it off after I stand up on the brakes and get the car down to 9 over. Had a trooper (pissed) ask me why I slowed down so fast (I said, "Did I? Hmmmm.") and hand me a warning for 59 in a 55 after he poked his head in my driver's window and looked around. I was cool with that considering I'd been going at a speed more appropriate for the vehicle I was in.......

Old 10-23-2009, 01:44 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Not sure about the flat surfaces comment. I had a 1994 Mazda RX-7 with no front plate, the headlights down and received several tickets from laser.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:31 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 998M
I had a 1994 Mazda RX-7
I loved that car! There is something about a rotary....

Old 10-23-2009, 07:09 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RPRyan55
For those of you driving through Illinois, GEICO just donated 500 laser guns to the Illinois State Police.
That's why I don't and would never consider GEICO. I am sure many if not all other insurers do the same but GEICO is the most publicized. Talk about conflict of interest... they charge you money for insurance, use some of that to donate laser guns to police departments so that then they can raise your insurance rates.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I have had the M-25 Blinder Extreme Laser Jammers installed and active on my car for over a year.

Let me clear up a couple of things I've read here:

1. The Valentine-1 has laser detection, but when it comes to laser, detection is meaningless. When you get hit with laser, it's over, they know your speed, UNLESS you have jammers.

2. Laser jammers are CURRENTLY legal in most states. It's borderline, so don't brag about it.

3. Laser DOES require a flat surface to get a reading. On a 997 there are only a few such spots, namely, the front edge of the front bumper), potentially the top of the front windshield, and the rear license plate. The M-25 unit consists of 2 units, each placed just below that leading edge of the front bumper, between the slats of the 997 radiator grills. You really can't notice them unless you're looking for them. You can buy the M-45 version, which comes with a bracket jammer to go with the rear license plate frame. Where I live (ATL, GA) it's all laser, and it's all front he front, so the M-25 is all I need. In TX, for example, they "bird-dog". One cop will be at an overpass, pointing his laser gun at cars moving away from him. Your eyes are meaningless here, since there's no car to watch for, and he's on the far side of an underpass. Yet he can see your speed based on his laser reading off your rear, and radio that ahead to a car waiting ahead of you, and you're toast. That's big in TX, rare elsewhere.

4. Proper use: the point is not to go as fast as you want past a cop while giving them the finger. The point is to be cloaked when they see you first to avoid the ticket, but when laser hits you (your active jammers "jam" their reading") you must hit the brakes and get to legal speed, then turn your jammers off (hit the kill switch) so the cops CAN get a reading on you, and the reading now (since you hit the brakes) is of you travelling at the legal limit. You don't just keep flying past them like an arrogant above the law jack-A$$, you slow down, hit the kill switch, give them a reading. If their eyes saw anything, it was you noticing them, and slowing down, which is what every other car anywhere near you did, too.

5. If you ever show up a cop, in any way whatsoever, you will lose. If you get pulled over, be polite, respectful, and answer questions directly and honestly unless you need/ think you need a lawyer, in which case, inform the office of such, then keep your mouth shut.
CATTMAN

Old 10-23-2009, 08:05 PM
rbuisa is on a distinguished road
good comments cattman. It's important for people to know what they are getting into. It's really a false sense of security.....speeding is illegal

Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 PM
B R A N D X® is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cattman
I have had the M-25 Blinder Extreme Laser Jammers installed and active on my car for over a year.

Let me clear up a couple of things I've read here:

1. The Valentine-1 has laser detection, but when it comes to laser, detection is meaningless. When you get hit with laser, it's over, they know your speed, UNLESS you have jammers.

2. Laser jammers are CURRENTLY legal in most states. It's borderline, so don't brag about it.

3. Laser DOES require a flat surface to get a reading. On a 997 there are only a few such spots, namely, the front edge of the front bumper), potentially the top of the front windshield, and the rear license plate. The M-25 unit consists of 2 units, each placed just below that leading edge of the front bumper, between the slats of the 997 radiator grills. You really can't notice them unless you're looking for them. You can buy the M-45 version, which comes with a bracket jammer to go with the rear license plate frame. Where I live (ATL, GA) it's all laser, and it's all front he front, so the M-25 is all I need. In TX, for example, they "bird-dog". One cop will be at an overpass, pointing his laser gun at cars moving away from him. Your eyes are meaningless here, since there's no car to watch for, and he's on the far side of an underpass. Yet he can see your speed based on his laser reading off your rear, and radio that ahead to a car waiting ahead of you, and you're toast. That's big in TX, rare elsewhere.

4. Proper use: the point is not to go as fast as you want past a cop while giving them the finger. The point is to be cloaked when they see you first to avoid the ticket, but when laser hits you (your active jammers "jam" their reading") you must hit the brakes and get to legal speed, then turn your jammers off (hit the kill switch) so the cops CAN get a reading on you, and the reading now (since you hit the brakes) is of you travelling at the legal limit. You don't just keep flying past them like an arrogant above the law jack-A$$, you slow down, hit the kill switch, give them a reading. If their eyes saw anything, it was you noticing them, and slowing down, which is what every other car anywhere near you did, too.

5. If you ever show up a cop, in any way whatsoever, you will lose. If you get pulled over, be polite, respectful, and answer questions directly and honestly unless you need/ think you need a lawyer, in which case, inform the office of such, then keep your mouth shut.
CATTMAN
Well said.

I've been doing a lot of reading about laser jammers and am thinking seriously about installing the dual Laser Interceptor just as you mentioned: one unit in each radiator slat on the front of the car so as to be as unobtrusive as possible.
I really don't typically speed on freeways/interstates preferring to drive defensively and safely, but every once in a while the teenager in me takes over and that always seems to be about the time my V1 tells me I was just nailed by a laser gun.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:14 PM
chihuahua1 is on a distinguished road
where do i buy this?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:08 PM
2fast455 is on a distinguished road
I will give my experiences from the other side of the laser. I have been using one since 1995. I have yet to have one jam to gun as some claim. It is obvious when a car is equipted with a jammer or shifter. Also the newer laser units can detect them and give audible and visual alert in display. Also during a stop its quite obvious that a car has the shifters installed especially on the rear. You want the heads mounted at furthest most forward part of car. It also should not be obstructed.

As for the car required to have a front plate a flat surface for laser to get a reading that is false. It is true that surface area can vary the distance the laser is able to receive reading. For each 1000 feet the beam of laser is approximately 3 feet in diameter. The laser needs approximately 3/4s or beam emitted to be returned for a reading. Here is a crazy example a G500 has the frontal surface area like a barn. Quite easy to get a reading at distances over 2500 feet. A G500 with a brush bar on same road same conditions will be picked up at a lesser distance due to fact the bar distorts the beam more. I have noticed this with many trucks with the bars in front. Granted a brush bar on the front of a 997 really isn't feasible. The reason we are trained to aim at license plate area is because it is reflective but more importantly it is center of vehicle. I can't tell you how many times a corvette owner has said there was no way I had a laser reading because they didn't have a front plate.

In my opinion a jammer will work but it does not make a car completely invisible. Will it give you time to go from 75 to 55 before a cop gets your reading? I would say yes. Would it get you from around 100 to 55? I wouldn't rely on it 100 percent. The other part that needs to be taken into account is officer's visual estimate. Hope that helps some.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:51 PM
rbuisa is on a distinguished road
I also think the "flat surface" comments are also about hills and curves. A laser, based on my understanding, needs to be pointed directly at a target and can only pick up a signal if it is hitting the target. Also pick up bright objects like chrome, headlight trim etc.....

Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by function12
That is incorrect. Lidar jammers are legal in a lot of states but they can try to nail you under other laws.
Very well said cattman... that was so detailed.....
where can i get a laser jammer from... thanks

Last edited by rvhpno80; 10-25-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cattman
The M-25 unit consists of 2 units, each placed just below that leading edge of the front bumper, between the slats of the 997 radiator grills. You really can't notice them unless you're looking for them.
Thanks for a great write-up. Could you please post a picture to show this exact location or is it detailed in installation instructions for this unit?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:05 AM
dndodd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2fast455
I will give my experiences from the other side of the laser. I have been using one since 1995. I have yet to have one jam to gun as some claim. It is obvious when a car is equipted with a jammer or shifter. Also the newer laser units can detect them and give audible and visual alert in display. Also during a stop its quite obvious that a car has the shifters installed especially on the rear. You want the heads mounted at furthest most forward part of car. It also should not be obstructed.

As for the car required to have a front plate a flat surface for laser to get a reading that is false. It is true that surface area can vary the distance the laser is able to receive reading. For each 1000 feet the beam of laser is approximately 3 feet in diameter. The laser needs approximately 3/4s or beam emitted to be returned for a reading. Here is a crazy example a G500 has the frontal surface area like a barn. Quite easy to get a reading at distances over 2500 feet. A G500 with a brush bar on same road same conditions will be picked up at a lesser distance due to fact the bar distorts the beam more. I have noticed this with many trucks with the bars in front. Granted a brush bar on the front of a 997 really isn't feasible. The reason we are trained to aim at license plate area is because it is reflective but more importantly it is center of vehicle. I can't tell you how many times a corvette owner has said there was no way I had a laser reading because they didn't have a front plate.

In my opinion a jammer will work but it does not make a car completely invisible. Will it give you time to go from 75 to 55 before a cop gets your reading? I would say yes. Would it get you from around 100 to 55? I wouldn't rely on it 100 percent. The other part that needs to be taken into account is officer's visual estimate. Hope that helps some.
Thanks. One wonders if they should mount the rear attnena with the spoiler. That way below 75 it is out of sight.

Another thought mount your rear plate at an angle.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
gadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to behold
Gadgetman's Install

Here is my install. Review all my BLIP TV Videos.

http://www.blip.tv/file/2217496

http://gadgetman.blip.tv/file/2158919/

Last edited by gadgetman; 10-26-2009 at 05:27 PM.