997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

garage button program

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Izwar is on a distinguished road
garage button program

I have no clue how to program my garage clicker thing into the buttons on my 997.1, i dont have the books on the car yet so ive been guessing lol. ive held down the button and aimed the remote into it for seconds and nothing.

Any help on how to program a garage opener into the 997.1? thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
If I remember correctly, you press the button that you want to program and hold it until the light blinks. You then have five minutes to walk to the front of the hood where you point your garage opener just to the left of the Porsche logo and about a foot from the hood. Press the opener until the fog lights flash and you're done.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:36 AM
cnesq will become famous soon enoughcnesq will become famous soon enough
Should be the same as the 997.2 - there are two types of garage door programs. One uses the same code and the vehicle can be program from the remote only. The other has alternating codes and requires pushing of the program button on the open receiver.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:53 AM
motosport3 will become famous soon enoughmotosport3 will become famous soon enough
I've been trying to program my buttons and have had no luck. Press desired button to program till it blinks, walk over to receiver and press program button, get back in car and hit the desired button once or twice till it stops blinking is what is described in the manual.

No dice.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by motosport3
I've been trying to program my buttons and have had no luck. Press desired button to program till it blinks, walk over to receiver and press program button, get back in car and hit the desired button once or twice till it stops blinking is what is described in the manual.

No dice.
if your garage has rolling code feature (all modern do) entire process gets more complicated.
search online - there are exact guidelines how it is supposed to be done. car manual does not explain it properly, I found it online somewhere and completely forgot by now.
I also thought my opener was 'broken' - no way, everything works, it just has to be programmed properly.

---

I think I had to climb to garage unit and press something there as well on it after learning from remote, then run back to car, but better search online.

Last edited by utkinpol; 11-05-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:27 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
If I remember correctly, you press the button that you want to program and hold it until the light blinks. You then have five minutes to walk to the front of the hood where you point your garage opener just to the left of the Porsche logo and about a foot from the hood. Press the opener until the fog lights flash and you're done.

...what he said...if you have a rolling code garage door, you have to press the program button on the opener motor after light blinks on the homelink, then walk to front of your car just left of emblem, press opener button and fogs flash when accepted. Alot easier than it sounds and works nicely (compared to BMW and Lexus which can take ALOT of tries)

Old 11-05-2009, 06:30 AM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Here are the steps:

1. Press and hold the desired HomeLink button in your car until it blinks rapidly
2. Get out and go to the front of the car, point the garage remote at the center of the hood and press and hold for a few seconds until the headlight blinks twice

If you have a rolling-code garage opener:
3. Find the Purple button (LEARN button) on the back of the garage opener (the one at the ceiling) and press it
4. Get inside your car, press and hold the same HomeLink button for a few seconds
5. If your garage opener has a light, it will flash and you're done

Old 11-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Izwar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
worked great thank you

Old 08-24-2018, 11:39 AM
translog is on a distinguished road
TooSixsy worked great on my 2010 997.2 - Thank you

"Here are the steps:

1. Press and hold the desired HomeLink button in your car until it blinks rapidly
2. Get out and go to the front of the car, point the garage remote at the center of the hood and press and hold for a few seconds until the headlight blinks twice"

Old 08-24-2018, 09:53 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by translog
TooSixsy worked great on my 2010 997.2 - Thank you

"Here are the steps:

2. Get out and go to the front of the car, point the garage remote at the center of the hood and press and hold for a few seconds until the headlight blinks twice"
That's the way it's supposed to work but doesn't always. It's been a while since I did mine but as I recall it I had to push a red button on the garage opener motor to get it to work in addition to holding the remote in front of the bumper.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:04 PM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
I went through the same issue of trying to program my garage door buttons. I found out that the 997.1 home link is not compatible with newer garage door openers and require a transmitter to make the signal compatible for the home link. I’ll see if I can find that name and part number of the device for mine

Old 09-01-2018, 12:06 PM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
The part I had to use was the LiftMaster 855lm compatibility bridge. This solved my problem and I was able to program the doors easily afterwards.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:01 PM
translog is on a distinguished road
Just to add to this, put your key in the ignition and turn to the right for full accessories power. Worked again and programmed my second button. Had to hold the transmitter to the left of the center of the front bumper for a few seconds before the lights flashed.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:14 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sandwedge
That's the way it's supposed to work but doesn't always. It's been a while since I did mine but as I recall it I had to push a red button on the garage opener motor to get it to work in addition to holding the remote in front of the bumper.
Wow.....older thread I know but THANK YOU Florida SandWedge.
Yep.....after clearing old codes (pressing and holding buttons 1 and 3 simultaneously till rapid flash......I then used the #1 method with the clicker at the front bumper till the double wink.....then the #2 method of pushing the Learn button on the operator and then back in the car to press the same button I was trying to program.
All works again. THANKS!

Old 09-26-2019, 11:05 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GreggT
Wow.....older thread I know but THANK YOU Florida SandWedge.
Yep.....after clearing old codes (pressing and holding buttons 1 and 3 simultaneously till rapid flash......I then used the #1 method with the clicker at the front bumper till the double wink.....then the #2 method of pushing the Learn button on the operator and then back in the car to press the same button I was trying to program.
All works again. THANKS!

Great. This should be a very simple thing but has caused a lot of frustration for a lot of 997 owners over the years because the by the book instructions don't work.