997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PDK Fail Emergency Run

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:59 AM
kevin123 is on a distinguished road
PDK Fail Emergency Run

Last Friday Nov 13th, I got the dreaded "Emergency Transmission Run" message. The car switched the N and I was stuck in traffic.

I had to push the car off the road. After 5-10 min, I restarted and it acted normal for about a block. Again same message plus it wouldn't go anywhere.

I called my Porsche dealer and they said to call Porsche and have it flatbedded or try to limp over to the dealer about 5mi away.

I called Porsche and was put on hold, so I decided to give it another try.
After shifting to D , I got moving then switched to M mode on the gear shifter. I got it into 3rd gear which is where it stayed, even when stopped. I made sure I had a down hill start at traffic lights, and gently started so I wouldn't trip any sensors.

I made it to the dealer (still in 3rd).
They did a read out and said there were not failed sensors so they had to call Porsche.

On Monday I called the dealer and I was told Porsche told them to update the Software and try it. Even though my model showed it wasn't part of the serial #'s that needed an update.

They did the update and I got the car back Monday evening. I've been driving it for a day with no problems so far (knock on wood).

Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 AM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch!!!.....

Old 11-18-2009, 07:40 AM
ZoSo_DXB is on a distinguished road
When i took my car for service yesterday the technician confirmed that in fact there IS an update.
enjoy your car

Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 AM
PeterA is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the post. As a new owner I was unaware of this potential problem. At least I now have a strategy for dealing with this situation should it occur.

Nevertheless, I’m wondering if I need to be concerned. Does anyone know when the necessary “update” would have been applied to cars coming off of the production line?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:41 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I had this occur a few weeks ago. I did a rolling launch in Sport mode, after getting to 60-70mph, I got the dreaded Emergency Run error and the car went into 'limp mode' (3rd gear). I got home, turned the car off and then started up again, and no problem. As this happened on a saturday afternoon, I couldn't' get it to the dealer for a couple of days. I drove it over the weekend without any more issues. Once I brought it in and had them check it out, they claimed that the computer didn't register the error. I'm not sure I believe that, and am wondering if they updated the software while it was there.

I can say I haven't seen the issue since, but have been more aware of engine/oil temp ever since.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:46 AM
kevin123 is on a distinguished road
I would be concerned about this happening again if no modifications were made.
It will definately leave you stranded.