997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Does anybody actually prefer Supple Leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
FB123 is on a distinguished road
what did you like about it? the look?

Old 11-19-2009, 05:58 PM
swajames will become famous soon enoughswajames will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by FB123
what did you like about it? the look?
Yes, but I also found it's a little nicer to sit on than the standard perforated leather.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:32 PM
nota_troll will become famous soon enoughnota_troll will become famous soon enough
Every time I see supple leather whether it's on a 993/996/997 it doesn't wear well. It starts to look like tea bags (and I don't mean Lipton).

Old 11-19-2009, 06:42 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nota_troll
Every time I see supple leather whether it's on a 993/996/997 it doesn't wear well. It starts to look like tea bags (and I don't mean Lipton).
*****?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 PM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
I currently own 3 Porsches (One with supple, one with sport seats and one old 83 930s with whatever the leather seats are..almost like old leather chairs). The supple are by far the most comfortable and hold you very well. I can understand the people who hate them for how they look..PS they look fine when you're sitting in them!!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The 996 tended to have an interior in general that did not hold up in the same manner as the 993 and 997 . I am not sure if it was a result from an inferior leather or not . I had two of them and both required a lot of interior car care . The 993 would be a 15 year old car or so . It's hard to expect it not to show wear and tear. As for the 997 -I have not seen too many in supple other than in pictures so i simply don't know but I imagine that since more surface area is exposed it woild have to reveal the wear if not properly cared for.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
I like them. The seat seems to be more "stuffed" and softer without any reduction in support.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:44 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
That shouldn't be.....I'd say those examples are people not taking care of there leather (or a an unfortunate collection of poor hides).

It can wear very well.....with regular care that good leather deserves.
Not talking a garage queen either....10-15 yr old daily drivers.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I am another one who like the supple leather. Had it in my 1996 993 and it held up well. Is it worth they money, that I am not sure.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Dirtmerchant is on a distinguished road
I've got Sea Blue Supple Leather in my 997.2 and really like it. This is my first Porsche and I wanted a comfortable car with a classic look as I intended it to be a daily driver.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by anthony
Here's a nice example of supple leather in terracotta. I agree with Larry -- it definitely makes a 997 interior look more old school (not a bad thing, just different).
I love the red - brilliant interior ...

Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
+1 on no to supple leather, wears much worse then not.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:17 PM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
IMHO, if you wear a thick wallet in your backpocket, the regular "flat" seats may end up showing a "bulge" in the leather because the wallet and your body heat will cause stretching of the leather. If you look at enough cars on ebay, you will often see this on driver seats. Supple leather doesn't seem to display the same as much because of the "crumpling" already present - that was one reason for which I liked mine.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 PM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by P Diddy
my main complaint is that supple leather doesn't wear as well. After 30K miles it starts to show creases, especially if not cared for properly.

to Axxlrod - seats with supple leather have additional leather in the middle inserts (i.e. the middle parts of the seats, as opposed to the surrounding parts, have extra material). One might call them poofy looking.
Maybe I have cared for mine properly. I have supple leather with 33,000 miles and they look new.

Before I posted, I went out and looked at my seats again just to make sure I was thinking straight before I posted.

I respect everyones opinion but, some post here have made supple leather sound like they are straight out of a 1970's Cadillac . They aren't that poofy looking imho. They do have a little pleating to them but are still pretty firm.

Threre are two things I like about them. They don't have that split seam down the middle of the seat cushion and they are more comfortable than the standard seats and really have the same support under hard driving. I bought my car previously owned and it wasn't a deal breaker for me. Don't get me wrong, I would like to have the sports seats but, it just didn't work out that way. I do track my car and have thought about some other seat options and may change them in the future seeing that I'm becoming track addicted

Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Obie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these parts
Supple was very popular in 996 turbos and C4S's. When I was shopping for a TT a while back, I would always crings right before opening up interior shots because so many of them had the supple. Always been a mystery to me why some people like it but to each his own. Kind of like wood in a P car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anybody actually prefer Supple Leather?