997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My driver's mirror whistles over 50mph?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Originally Posted by avmike
Mine does it on the passenger side mirror. Can only really hear it with the top down. Been to lazy to bring it to the dealer... 45min drive...
Ditto.

The clear caulk bead around the seam is an easy thing to try... I'll give it a go.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by avmike
Mine does it on the passenger side mirror. Can only really hear it with the top down. Been to lazy to bring it to the dealer... 45min drive...
Finally got around to bringing it in to the dealer. They replaced the passenger mirror. It looks the same, but the whistle is gone...

Of course, now the spring is missing from my fuel door.. ...on order.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Auto companies like to put the side mirrors on the "sail".....the corner where the A pillar meets the door/fender. This is not the best place to put the mirror if you are looking to reduce wind noise but, for styling reasons.... that's where it goes!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Dealer sealed it

The whistling is not normal. The 997.2 mirrors are larger, so maybe this doesn't affect pre 2009 cars.

My dealer said they were aware of the issue and have sealed mirrors before. As I understand it, they disassemble the mirror housing and apply sealant to all the seams.

I could smell the sealant when I picked it up, and I think the mirror is better, but it still whistles at 40-60 mph. If I had the diagram I'd try it myself. But I'll probably end up having the dealer try it again.

Regards,
David

Old 02-19-2010, 05:08 PM
ChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud of
The 997.1 mirrors all did this, sorry to say the Porsche fix (clear sealant in the leading edge) didn't work for me. Hope you get it sorted on yours!

So far no whistles on my 2009...

Old 02-19-2010, 05:12 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by B R A N D X®
TSB's or Technical Service Bulletins are offered up by manufacturers on a regular basis.....sometimes after several customers have a documented complaint, but often before anyone is aware a potential problem exists.
Certainly. You're right BrandX. We had one outstanding that I knew of and one other I hadn't heard of. The dealer identified them both without prompting and without our having had the problems they head off.

Gary

Old 04-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
I took my car in for work the other day and mentioned my passenger mirror whistle. They put that on the work order, but then said that the issue is being caused by the clear film that came with the car (CPO). They said they could remove the film and replace it, but I think they're missing the real problem. I didn't ask if there was a charge for it - I just assumed that there was. So I told them I'd check into it a bit myself. After reviewing this thread, I'm not so sure I should have caved so easily.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Had the windshield replaced last Thursday (thank you Mr. Valet). Since then there is an annoying whistling noise from the area of passenger side view mirror.

I will have the dealer look at that when they replace the wire to the bluetooth microphone that was cut during the windshield replacement.

I have spent way to much time at the dealer lately for annoying little things.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by lacrosse
Had the windshield replaced last Thursday (thank you Mr. Valet). Since then there is an annoying whistling noise from the area of passenger side view mirror.

I will have the dealer look at that when they replace the wire to the bluetooth microphone that was cut during the windshield replacement.

I have spent way to much time at the dealer lately for annoying little things.
Interesting... Keep us posted -

Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jack667
Interesting... Keep us posted -

Well got the car back tonight. Bluetooth wire fixed. Windshield replaced again (as luck would have it the windshield that "whistled" got a chip in it about a week ago).

As for the noise? It is gone. Must have to do with how the windshield is placed when being replaced.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=avmike;2681572]Finally got around to bringing it in to the dealer. They replaced the passenger mirror. It looks the same, but the whistle is gone...

Of course, now the spring is missing from my fuel door.. ...on order.[/

And I thought I was the only that got their car back from dealer service with an issue it didn't have when I took it in. Drives me crazy, and, as in your case, the new problem isn't even in the same vicinity as the problem you brought the car to dealer for in the first place.