997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New Englanders/Snow Drivers - winter 911 - What to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
New Englanders/Snow Drivers - winter 911 - What to do?

Fellow NewEnglanders/Snow- C2S drivers..this will be my first winter with a 911.

Quick poll.

Do you:

(1) Put your car away until the Spring / Winterize your car?
..or..
(2) Keep it running thru the winter...and if so...how frequently were u able to get it on the road?

I live in the burbs- lots of salt & sand on the roads. The roads aren't always plowed...and there are lots of tall pines providing shade to preserve the slush and ice.

Last edited by mshanler; 11-24-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: needs clairifcation
Old 11-24-2009, 01:41 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
I put winter tires on mine and drive it for the whole winter, been doing it for 6 years

My winterize includes an oil change, winter tires and an alcantara shifter!!

w

Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 PM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
Yes, I just throw winter tires on mine and a couple coats of wax - it keeps me smiling all winter here in Minnesota.

There was only one day last year where I had to wait for them to plow to drive it, but other than that - the weather never keeps me from driving it.

Had Pirelli Sottozeros on last winter and was very happy, but after reading reviews etc, switched to the Michelin Pilot Alpins and have been very happy so far in the wet and cold - no snow yet to test that, but so far they are a slight improvement over the Pirellis, and those were great tires.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:48 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Mine goes into storage, but I've got a buddy here in CT that drives his C4 year round. Picked up a winter wheel and tire set and doesn't have much trouble.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:40 AM
larrytrk will become famous soon enough
Mine also goes into storage!

Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 AM
DCI
DCI will become famous soon enough
Storage with a battery maintainer. Too much sand and gravel on the roads to ruin the paint.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:08 AM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
My C4S is on snow tire/wheel now and ready for the first snow in Buffalo NY. Obviously if there is a blizzard out, I will take wife's GL450. If my 06'E55 with Blizzak could handle snow, C2S should be fine too. Get the snow tire/wheel package from Tirerack and enjoy the car all year round.

John

Old 11-27-2009, 07:13 AM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DCI
Storage with a battery maintainer. Too much sand and gravel on the roads to ruin the paint.

Good thing you have the option to take the "T". When I was living in North Quincy in the 90's and working in Medford, Taking the Red Line during snow is a whole lot better than getting stuck on the "93".

John

Old 11-27-2009, 09:25 AM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Originally Posted by JohnAMG
Good thing you have the option to take the "T". When I was living in North Quincy in the 90's and working in Medford, Taking the Red Line during snow is a whole lot better than getting stuck on the "93".

John
Having spent 7 years up there, I'd take the Red Line over 93 on most normal days too...it's amazing how that place becomes a parking lot. haha

-Alex

Old 11-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Ricardo Canada is on a distinguished road
Just put some snows on (I use the Michelin Pilot Alpins) and enjoy your Porsche. I have been driving Calgary winters for 28 years and the C2S has the better traction in the snow than any rwd car I have ever driven (from old Toyotas to a 2004 E46).

Old 11-27-2009, 02:49 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Hey,

I'm a newbie in CT. I have winter wheels & tires ready to go on my 997.2 C2 next week. After reading a lot of responses on this subject, the majority of people who don't drive the car in winter seem to elect not to for reasons other than concern over the car's competence in snow. I fully understand wanting to preserve a thing of beauty, but then again, Ferry Porsche did say "our cars are meant to be driven not polished". So, it all depends on how you feel about it.

Good luck,
DRP

Old 11-27-2009, 05:39 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
I'm planning to drive mine this winter while bouncing back and forth between DC and NC.

I bought a set of 19" all season tires (Bridgestone Potenza) for under $1k through tire rack.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:09 PM
RH512 is on a distinguished road
I too am planning on driving my C4S this winter, just today put on new Nokian WR on Carrera IV 18 inch wheels.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:13 PM
yorksboy01742 is on a distinguished road
Living in Boston Metrowest - I put my 20007 C2S in storage - not because of the snow/sand etc wearing the paint out but because of the risk of some idiot driving too fast or not able to control their own car smashing into mine in bad weather - I don't want to take the risk with the other drivers on the road so I bought a grand cherokee for the winter and am putting the P-car into storage - as much as it pains me.

- washed
- waxed
- full tank & gas conditioner
- over inflated tires
- battery maintainer
- Fitted 911 Cover

But thats just my 2 cents. I know others go to more elaborate storage techniques.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:33 AM
DCI
DCI will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 911cv
I'm planning to drive mine this winter while bouncing back and forth between DC and NC.

I bought a set of 19" all season tires (Bridgestone Potenza) for under $1k through tire rack.
All Seasons?....be careful dedicated snow would be a much better option. 295s in all seasons tread will be slick in any snow ice conditions.

Last edited by DCI; 11-28-2009 at 08:48 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Englanders/Snow Drivers - winter 911 - What to do?