997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Daily Driver? Need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:24 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
I've had my car for two months now as a DD and I am very happy...only two observations. 1.) road noise into the cabin can get tiresome after a while 2.) car is harsh over bumps in road. Otherwise no issues with reliability.

PS i already purchased a winter/tire package.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:14 PM
SGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the rough
DD'ing since June. I put everything in it from Golf Clubs in passenger seat (on top of blanket), shoving drunk friends in the back (punishnment for making me be sober DD) and transporting reasonable amounts of merchandise from my warehouse to my stores. My friend told me to drive it like a Civic LOL... He DD'd his all the way to 46K before he sold it and DD'shis GT3...

Old 11-26-2009, 08:27 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
Depends how you use the car... for me, on the phone a lot (work purposes) while driving, 20 miles each way to/from work, stop and go traffic at times, have wife and daughter, need to lug stuff / peeps around, plus live in Chicago - impossible to use C2S as a daily driver. Getting a reliable, auto-tranny DD for < 10K = good sense-

Old 12-05-2009, 08:15 PM
German_Saint is on a distinguished road
since we are here on 6speed- I'd option for a manual A4 quattro 2.0

lived for 6 months in Conifer,CO at 8700 ft. That is high boys! - the a4 quattro would be my choice.

I wouldn't want to HAVE to drive my 911 every day - regardless of AWD.

I'm a skier so I'm thinking about driving the I-70 pass in Colorado and the surrounding areas.

Cheers-
GS

Last edited by German_Saint; 12-05-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:35 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Drove mine as my daily for the last 14 months, my Cayman S for a year before that, putting some 14k miles on each car.

I loved driving the C2S every day but recently I bought an '05 Mini Cooper S to do the daily stuff with. To cut a long story short, it was the best decision I've ever made. I've driven cars like a Lotus Elise as my daily for years so I'm no stranger to impracticality ; the biggest thing was simply how much more I appreciate my 911 now. Not driving it every day makes it feel so much more special, even the things that I disliked about my 911 I don't even notice any more (for example the lack of full leather on my 911 compared to my Cayman S).

It's more than feasible to drive one every day, I'm just very glad I don't any more

Old 12-05-2009, 10:17 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
I have been using the C4S for a month now...I am planning on getting a smaller cheaper daily driver for these reasons.

1. road noise is much louder in this car than M3 I used to have...and rattles too...I have full leather so it looks nicer than M3 interior but doesnt feel as solid as m3's...I have manual so I have to shift again...for DD I miss the SMG paddle shifters...dont get me wrong, I love the C4S but would love it more if it was weekend car.

2. I like to have golf clubs in my trunk...hassle to put in front seats.

3. I now have to park further away as I dont like to be seen in this car as its abit showy for me...hassle.

Getting a Honda Civic for DD soon....

Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 PM
German_Saint is on a distinguished road
glad I kept my M3 after reading the above statement.

Last edited by German_Saint; 12-05-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mact3333
3. I now have to park further away as I dont like to be seen in this car as its abit showy for me...hassle.
I've read this comment in several forms in several other threads, speaking of the 997 I must suppose. Not the wilder shapes of TT models.

Fascinating differences in personal perception. I felt like I was moving into a stealth supercar when we bought this Carrera S last week. Not that the dealer didn't have a couple of seriously flashy GT-2 and GT-3 models on the floor alongside Ferraris and the like, but ours doesn't have orange spoilers and wheels and airdams, just a classy silver finish with a matching retractable spoiler and black leather interior.

Our murdered NSX was the same color combination. We didn't consider it flashy either, though it definitely felt like people were watching you constantly. In fact, you had to get used to people speeding up to catch you on the freeway and then just hanging there near the blind spot to take photos with their cell phone.

That may happen with the 911 also and I just haven't noticed it yet. At the first refueling, a guy walked by and remarked to the effect that "I've always told my wife that when I can buy one of those, we've made it in life." Same sort of reaction as to the NSX, so obviously car fans notice both cars.

Attention getting, certainly. All fine cars are to varying extents. But flashy? Not to us. Everything's relative I guess.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:54 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simsgw
I've read this comment in several forms in several other threads, speaking of the 997 I must suppose. Not the wilder shapes of TT models.

Fascinating differences in personal perception. I felt like I was moving into a stealth supercar when we bought this Carrera S last week. Not that the dealer didn't have a couple of seriously flashy GT-2 and GT-3 models on the floor alongside Ferraris and the like, but ours doesn't have orange spoilers and wheels and airdams, just a classy silver finish with a matching retractable spoiler and black leather interior.

Our murdered NSX was the same color combination. We didn't consider it flashy either, though it definitely felt like people were watching you constantly. In fact, you had to get used to people speeding up to catch you on the freeway and then just hanging there near the blind spot to take photos with their cell phone.

That may happen with the 911 also and I just haven't noticed it yet. At the first refueling, a guy walked by and remarked to the effect that "I've always told my wife that when I can buy one of those, we've made it in life." Same sort of reaction as to the NSX, so obviously car fans notice both cars.

Attention getting, certainly. All fine cars are to varying extents. But flashy? Not to us. Everything's relative I guess.
I hear you on the blind spot .. mostly with my Turbo .

The large difference with the NSX and the 911 is the length of time you had each car . I'm not sure if you experience the same as I . The longer I have a car the worry seems to subside . The greatest worry for me is the very first day . Just driving it home has this euphoria of excitement but also this fear if any obstacle connects with it .

The perception for me is as follows --
1) Ok I love my Turbo
2) I have at least had it two years
3) I still worry
4) But if it got a dent now .. at least i had two years with it dent free .

You had the NSX 10 years ? Even now you do share that it's loss was a great impact emotionally for you .. but at least you had 10 years with it.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
You had the NSX 10 years ? Even now you do share that it's loss was a great impact emotionally for you .. but at least you had 10 years with it.
That's certainly the way I'm comforting Cindy. She had a major stroke a few years ago and hasn't been able to drive it. She tried to give it to me a couple of times, but it still felt like hers and I drove her in it as if I was the chauffeur and she the owner, right up to the day the dealer crashed it.

In a long marriage, we've often had a car apiece, and I think you share so much in a successful marriage that it's important not to make either spouse feel submerged in the other. That means that having some things be HIS and some HERS is important. So neither feels diminished. Either from long habit, or something, I was never able to feel the NSX was mine. Maybe because I went to so much trouble to make sure she felt like it was hers when I bought it, since we couldn't really afford to keep our other car and buy an NSX as well. (Even ten years ago, they cost about as much as a well-optioned 911 S. Oddly enough, twenty years ago, when they were unique new cars they cost as much as a TT costs today. And that's with no discount for inflation. Rarity counts. They only built about 8,000 in the whole fifteen year 'production' run.) So despite my being the only driver for a couple of years, that car was still HERS, not mine.

All that is true, but it still hurts to lose a well-loved car. We've only had perhaps a dozen cars in fifty years and some of them really make a home for themselves in your heart. Either by the things you do in them, like the Volkswagen we courted in, or the MG that took us from Texas to Greece while I was a junior officer; or just by their being willing to do whatever you ask, whenever you ask. The NSX was one of those, and I honestly expect the 911 to be another.

We still haven't chosen a plate yet. We treat our plates as names for the car, not places for bragging rights for our identities. If we want that, someone is always willing to sell an illiterate license surround. (Like "Slippery Rock Alumni" which is fine if they don't teach English at Slippery Rock or when two of you are in the car. Otherwise...) Besides, if your pride, your accomplishments, can be compressed into seven letters... Maybe you might to work on other parts of your life and come back later.

We have occasionally used those little badges, especially when imports were rare and they actually sold little accessory bars to mount them. The only thing people might recognize about your odd-looking little racy car was that little Italian country badge. Or English or German. We put club affiliations on them too, so we could honk at each other I suppose. That made sense. Sort of. Then when personalized plates came in, we thought of them as naming the car itself, not us. Old habits die hard.

Might use a gentle compromise this time. How about LCOMOTIV? We were impressed by the strong smooth urge when you pull from fifty to a hundred and ten in fifth gear. You can do it faster starting from second of course, but we're talking building drama here, personality if you will. Not just dragstrip figures. When you ask, that lovely S engine just quietly pulls like... well, like a locomotive. And seems willing to keep pulling on up forever. (Or at least to a speed that will get you seriously jailed in California.)

So maybe LCOMOTIV. And when pressed, the short answer will do for the hoi polloi: Well, I am an engineer you know.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:29 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
That's certainly the way I'm comforting Cindy. She had a major stroke a few years ago and hasn't been able to drive it. She tried to give it to me a couple of times, but it still felt like hers and I drove her in it as if I was the chauffeur and she the owner, right up to the day the dealer crashed it.

In a long marriage, we've often had a car apiece, and I think you share so much in a successful marriage that it's important not to make either spouse feel submerged in the other. That means that having some things be HIS and some HERS is important. So neither feels diminished. Either from long habit, or something, I was never able to feel the NSX was mine. Maybe because I went to so much trouble to make sure she felt like it was hers when I bought it, since we couldn't really afford to keep our other car and buy an NSX as well. (Even ten years ago, they cost about as much as a well-optioned 911 S. Oddly enough, twenty years ago, when they were unique new cars they cost as much as a TT costs today. And that's with no discount for inflation. Rarity counts. They only built about 8,000 in the whole fifteen year 'production' run.) So despite my being the only driver for a couple of years, that car was still HERS, not mine.

All that is true, but it still hurts to lose a well-loved car. We've only had perhaps a dozen cars in fifty years and some of them really make a home for themselves in your heart. Either by the things you do in them, like the Volkswagen we courted in, or the MG that took us from Texas to Greece while I was a junior officer; or just by their being willing to do whatever you ask, whenever you ask. The NSX was one of those, and I honestly expect the 911 to be another.

We still haven't chosen a plate yet. We treat our plates as names for the car, not places for bragging rights for our identities. If we want that, someone is always willing to sell an illiterate license surround. (Like "Slippery Rock Alumni" which is fine if they don't teach English at Slippery Rock or when two of you are in the car. Otherwise...) Besides, if your pride, your accomplishments, can be compressed into seven letters... Maybe you might to work on other parts of your life and come back later.

We have occasionally used those little badges, especially when imports were rare and they actually sold little accessory bars to mount them. The only thing people might recognize about your odd-looking little racy car was that little Italian country badge. Or English or German. We put club affiliations on them too, so we could honk at each other I suppose. That made sense. Sort of. Then when personalized plates came in, we thought of them as naming the car itself, not us. Old habits die hard.

Might use a gentle compromise this time. How about LCOMOTIV? We were impressed by the strong smooth urge when you pull from fifty to a hundred and ten in fifth gear. You can do it faster starting from second of course, but we're talking building drama here, personality if you will. Not just dragstrip figures. When you ask, that lovely S engine just quietly pulls like... well, like a locomotive. And seems willing to keep pulling on up forever. (Or at least to a speed that will get you seriously jailed in California.)

So maybe LCOMOTIV. And when pressed, the short answer will do for the hoi polloi: Well, I am an engineer you know.
That's an interesting auto tag idea but I am counting 8 digits . In Florida they only allow 7 (so for me Yrralis1 is out) .

I can also understand how one can grieve a loss of a car. Even though to some it's a disposable object , through reading your posts I can see that it encompasses memories associated with various stages of those 10 years and somehow letting go of that in an instant can be a reminder of how fragile life is where even a strong car built to last can be lost in a flash of carelessness .

I sincerely empatize with you on this and hope that in the course of time with your Porsche opens a new chapter of long happy memories beginning now where both you and your wife can share them together ,

Old 12-06-2009, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
That's an interesting auto tag idea but I am counting 8 digits . In Florida they only allow 7 (so for me Yrralis1 is out) .
[..]
I sincerely empatize with you on this and hope that in the course of time with your Porsche opens a new chapter of long happy memories beginning now where both you and your wife can share them together ,
Oops. Typing toooo fast. I meant LCOMOTV of course.

I'm sure it will. We can't travel as much as we could when younger, but you can have as much fun in a small radius as a large one. Well, almost.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 07speed
I've had my car for two months now as a DD and I am very happy...only two observations. 1.) road noise into the cabin can get tiresome after a while 2.) car is harsh over bumps in road. Otherwise no issues with reliability.

PS i already purchased a winter/tire package.
I think somebody here recently wrote up a review of RE-11 Potenza tires and stated that they are much quieter and less bumpy than PS2 tires.

I just replaced 19" PS2 with 18" PA2 and, well, I completely forgot that my car can ride so smooth on non-perfect road. Even worst bumps are subdued now. May be if you have DD car then for summer time RE-11 or even some other softer tires on 18" rims will do you best service.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I think somebody here recently wrote up a review of RE-11 Potenza tires and stated that they are much quieter and less bumpy than PS2 tires.

I just replaced 19" PS2 with 18" PA2 and, well, I completely forgot that my car can ride so smooth on non-perfect road. Even worst bumps are subdued now. May be if you have DD car then for summer time RE-11 or even some other softer tires on 18" rims will do you best service.
I haven't tried that, but maybe it's not an option for us. Can you replace the 19" rims on a 997.2 Carrera S with 18"? Didn't I read something about their enlarging the disks to take advantage of the larger wheel on the S?

Old 12-06-2009, 03:23 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't tried that, but maybe it's not an option for us. Can you replace the 19" rims on a 997.2 Carrera S with 18"? Didn't I read something about their enlarging the disks to take advantage of the larger wheel on the S?
Nothing prevents you from using 18" rims. PASM is optimized for 19" rims, that`s true, but with both 18" and 19" rims external diameter of tires stays pretty much the same if you choose right tire model.
Most of people who track their cars use 18" rims there. There are no issues with this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver? Need advice