997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Thoughts before bed:

-Modified & proven Supercharger with extra pulleys, brackets, hoses, and clamps, from 2 of the most highly respected 6speed members (BlaktOut and Justatoy): $X,XXX.

-Diamond tennis bracelet for my wife from 6speeder/ jeweler jjc4scab: $X,XXX.

-My wife not saying a word as she walks past the open Supercharger crate in our foyer: Priceless.

CATTMAN

Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
Love you guys, but let's add value with content. Meanwhile, here's what I got so far:

-Opened the package, and it's 92 lbs worth of parts that are going to go into my car, along with more coolant, so maybe 100 lbs, total? I know it's going to add a lot of HP, but I am going to have to shave weight somehow, too.

-Stacy packed everything beautifully in a big ole rubbermaid box. Then he wrapped it in clear tape, and bound it with tie downs. It's a darn good thing he wrapped it in tape, because the rubbermaid box got split and cracked in several spots. As it was so carefully wrapped, nothing was harmed, but the rubbermaid bin is shot.

-The Supercharger itself was wrapped it some kind of Canadian insulation, no doubt asbestos, LOL! Kidding, it's all here, in tact.

-The Supercharger is HUGE. It's as large as a dinner plate, and heavy as a kettle bell. This is the heart, so I am glad it's hearty as an integral part of the workings should be.

-Looking over everything, what shocks me is that I know what each part is and where it belongs. I guess that's the benefit of studying/ procrastinating for a year. Honestly, there are not a lot of parts. It's no more daunting on the surface than a SSK install is, just more parts, but really nothing too worrisome.

-The elec wiring is the only part I don't feel confident with, but $40 to some teen from the Geek Squad will solve that. Soldering is a breeze if you've done it once, and as I haven't, I won't feel like I am taking a shortcut by outsourcing it, and the only thing I'll need that for is the pump for the 3rd radiator.

When I get undivided time in the garage, I really think I can do the install in 3 days. Add another day for durametric testing and other adjustments to ensure the timing and AF ratios are right, etc.

BTW, Stacy said it best: if he can do it, anyone can. I'm here to prove it! After his process, he was lightyears ahead in terms of understanding cars, and it intimidated me- still does in fact, when he talks about AF ratios, pulling timing, leaning out, etc. But after deciding to do this, I've spent time on Wikipedia and Bing, and I am ready to do it, confidently. Hopefully I can share it with you, layman to layman.
CATTMAN
Glad to hear all is OK and I couldn't have done the deal with a more trusting person!
FWIW that insulation is NOT asbestos,LOL....but ir was a great idea for protecting it...or at least I thought it was!
I am so gald that it had arrived safely!
GL with the install and many of us are there for you to offer advice!
And I cannot believe she didn't say anything........must be the BLING on the wrist that is blinding her!

Stacy

Old 01-03-2010, 04:39 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Thoughts before bed:

-Modified & proven Supercharger with extra pulleys, brackets, hoses, and clamps, from 2 of the most highly respected 6speed members (BlaktOut and Justatoy): $X,XXX.

-Diamond tennis bracelet for my wife from 6speeder/ jeweler jjc4scab: $X,XXX.

-My wife not saying a word as she walks past the open Supercharger crate in our foyer: Priceless.

CATTMAN

John,

Great post! I LUUUVVV the priceless quote

Jim

Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
We are getting closer to start day.
So far I've been making garage arrangements, which are now done, and assembling all the tools and parts I'll need, which is nearly complete.

If all goes well, here is my plan:

Sat: drive to friend's shop, and remove front bumper. With car on lift, mount 3rd radiator and run intercooler and coolant pump lines. Leave the pump disconnected at the battery terminal, and leave the hoses open inside the engine bay, not connected yet. Replace underpanels and front bumper, and drive home.

Sun: relax with my son and watch some football.

Sunday night: put car on jack stands, remove rear bumper, and get to work in the engine bay removing the EVOMS CAI, MAF, pulley tensioner, and belt. From here I can unscrew the fuel rail bolts, and if I am feeling aggressive try to remove the injectors, too.

Monday night: resume, mounting the SC, etc.

I am doing all I can to prepare with this "down" time, which is really valuable, as I can now visualize each step in my head. I believe this prep will make the install easier. Or so I hope!
CATTMAN

Old 01-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Alright, tomorrow it begins, 8am EDT.

Here are some pics, getting organized:
1. Laying out all the parts
2. The heart
3. Stacy's home-made tools (on loan)
4. One reason I bought from Stacy (A to A, B to B) even my 4 yr. old could do it!
5. Tools I know I'll need, which probably means I'm leaving out a lot.
CATTMAN

Attached Images      

Last edited by Cattman; 01-15-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Wow, it is almost as good as having Stacy there to help you!

Good luck with the install John!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Couple more, pre:

1. Lid for the project (Sears gave it to me, gratis, when they learned why I was looking for some odd tools)
2. Light reading (shop manual earmarked to the injector page)
3. Innocence (relatively speaking, as it's already got every non FI mod available ).

Next I'll be loading all of this stuff into my car (recipient) for the 45 min drive to the shop I'll use for the first phase of the installation.

STAGE 1, 1 day (aka, best laid plans):
8AM Saturday- depart home, drive 1 hr to rental space with lift
9AM Saturday- remove front bumper, remove underpanels, install front radiator, reservoir, and run all coolant lines, connect to front radiator, run lines back into engine bay, and to pump. Mount coolant pump, run electrical wiring. Replace underpanels and front bumper.

11-12AM Saturday- "Pick Enterprise, we'll pick you up!" Yep, they're coming to get me, as this is my only car, my DD. I'll hit a Subway for lunch on way back to shop.

6pm Saturday- I will NOT be filling the lines, or connecting the pump to the battery, so it'll be fine to drive back home in my car, park in neighbor's garage for stage 2 to commence after the Cowboys game on Sunday night! This stage will be in the engine bay.

For what it's worth, I've rented a car for a week. I plan to work all day Sat, a few hours on Sun, and then each night from 6-10pm during the week. My goal is to be done by Friday, but I won't rush things. I think 24-30 hrs total labor time is about right for me on this.

Wish me luck!
CATTMAN

Attached Images    

Last edited by Cattman; 01-15-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Let's get this going on......Go-John-Go.....!
Wooohooo!

Stacy

Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Alright, tomorrow it begins, 8am EDT.

Here are some pics, getting organized:
1. Laying out out the parts
2. The heart
3. Stacy's home-made tools (on loan)
4. One reason I bought from Stacy (A to A, B to B) even my 4 yr. old could do it!
5. Tools I know I'll need, which probably means I'm leaving out a lot.
CATTMAN
I that "special" tool in photo #3 is actually the end result of one of Stacy's bad days a year ago.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Hey, worth noting that the guys at VF-E (Sean), AWE (Mike Romano), Hennessy Porsche (Ralph, Matt, Jeff), and SunCoast have all been awesome so far. Props also to Tom Brown of His Majesty's Coach, and his nephew LysolEverywhere, who are providing shop space, and my neighbor, JP, for loaning me his 2 car garage. And gracias to JJ4scab for the deal on the bling, as my wife has STILL not given me a hard time about this!

I am so freaking ready I cannot sleep!
CATTMAN

Old 01-16-2010, 05:42 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Hey, worth noting that the guys at VF-E (Sean), AWE (Mike Romano), Hennessy Porsche (Ralph, Matt, Jeff), and SunCoast have all been awesome so far. Props also to Tom Brown of His Majesty's Coach, and his nephew LysolEverywhere, who are providing shop space, and my neighbor, JP, for loaning me his 2 car garage. And gracias to JJ4scab for the deal on the bling, as my wife has STILL not given me a hard time about this!

I am so freaking ready I cannot sleep!
CATTMAN

You are welcome Catt. I read this thread @ 7:30 my time and yours, and I am with ya. Hell I almost feel like Im doing the install If you have any questions and Stacy doesnt answer the phone, call me. I know you have the work number, but I will PM you my cell.

Good luck

Jim

Old 01-16-2010, 06:04 AM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Good luck, and may the force be with you!!!

Take lots of pictures & video, we're all looking forward to the play by play!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Today was Day 1 of the DIY installation, and it was extremely productive.
Here's what we got done in 6 slow-paced hours:

-Jacked the car up on 12 ton bus jack stands. While I am somewhat (actually very!) leery of lying under a car (my plans for a lift didn't work out), I've got to say that these massive 12 ton bus stands put my mind at ease.
-Removed all 4 wheels.
-Removed front bumper: took 90 minutes, but would take 20 next time. The time was not spent on the torx screws but on the bizarrely engineered Porsche clips and harnesses, etc.
-Tip 1: I had no need to remove the front headlights. I don't know why that's recommended. If you ever DO need to remove front headlights, to perhaps change bulbs, know this: the hex you are turning is not a screw, it's a solid unit that only turns 180 degress, which swivels a bar under the light housing, which pops the light up enough for you to pull it out the rest of the way. The front headlights have no wires, they just plug into a harness at the rear. Turning that hex, make sure you turn it "forward", toward the front of the car, on BOTH sides. This is totally counter-intuitive, and if you don't know this, as I didn't, you will break the end of that unit, and make ever removing that headlight in the future significantly more complex. This is just one of the many "do this" instructions that could have up to 10 steps, instead of "remove headlights". If I develop insomnia I'll write a DIY for another thread on each of the small steps here.
-Tip 2: Remember to either plug the wiper fluid hose when unclipping it (driver's side only), or get a pan to catch all the fluid.
-Installed center radiator and coolant reservoir, center "smile" fascia, and shroud. The side radiator's shroud's clips (top and bottom) at the front wheel wells snapped right off like brittle glass with hardly an ounce of stress on them- again, my car is a 5 yrs. old daily driver with nearly 50k miles on it.
-Labelled all the underbody panels, which fit together like a sadistic puzzle. While there are just 5 pieces, they all have multiple tabs, and some go over, and some go over eachother. I used a sharpie to write either a "1" or a "2" on each side of each connecting point. "1" means it's closer to the ground, "2" means it's tucked up under "1". I hope this helps me at reassembly- it certainly ought to.
-Removed all underbody panels. They pretty much all come out at once, when you remove 2 center nuts, due to the tab over, tab under engineering.

More in a minute.
CATTMAN

Attached Images    

Last edited by Cattman; 01-16-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:15 PM
We took a break and went for taco's, but I left the camera in the garage, so no pics- sorry!

We got back and started to run the intercooler (IC) lines, locate, mock-up, and mount the extra coolant pump, and begin to dissect the engine bay, removing the EVOMS CAI, MAF sensor, serpentine belt, and vacuum lines.

At this point, the smog protection hose crapped out- without pressure or torque, it actually SHATTERED! when we tried to remove it from it's clip. The future is...plastics? LOL, maybe, but what a weak link these brittle plastic crap pieces are! They are clearly made to go on, and NEVER come off. Nonetheless we removed the end, which is held by an O-ring, and shot a pic. We have to decide what to do: repair via new plastic shrink sleeve, PCV (no, not PVC), and tape, or order and install a new hose. Ordering a new hose is 1 thing, wrapping it around the forward part of the engine and mounting it is another. We will evaluate our options tomorrow.

We then ran the electrical wiring for the extra coolant pump, in through the small rubber grommet in the driver's side wheel well, and into the battery compartment.

Next we began to run the IC lines from the new front radiator. The hardest part is routing the forward-most hoses, feeding them through a VERY narrow gap between the driver's side radiator shroud and the the new center radiator. In doing this, you must be extremely sensitive to the frailty of the wire coolant lines. We could NOT figure out how Stacy removed the clip, nor how doing so would benefit us. Regardless, we were able to run the driver's side IC hose line OVER the wire coolant line, making sure it was never under stress, or bearing load.

Now we have to sort out where to pull the IC line, as it has to go from higher in the front end, to down lower and into the tunnel. That's for tomorrow.

End of DAY 1 Impressions:
This is not a crazy thing to undertake as a DIY. Yet it is also not easy, or intuitive. Don't DIY unless you love to solve problems, put puzzles together, and think before you act. If that all sounds good to you, then you'll also need to carve out time, have patience, a handy friend or two, a lifeline to call when stuck, and a solid set of tools.

My initial goal was to complete this installation in 24-30 hrs. I am now 6 hrs in, and feel that I have about 12 more hours remaining until completed, for a max total of 18 hrs of solid labor. This does not include post-install Durametric testing, etc.

Before I continue, does anyone care?
CATTMAN

Attached Images      

Last edited by Cattman; 01-16-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Nice write up Cattman.

I care

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman