997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How do people feel about parking their 911 at work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:56 PM
geestyleed is on a distinguished road
I count myself to the younger generation(22) Here in the USA I got a company car - an old ML320 or a GMC Sierra. I always drive these car to work.
My Porsche is now save in a Garage until I feel the addiction...Although the most people in the company know that I have a 911.
I think in Germany it is really worse with envy people. Our old BMW 7 Series had two vandalism attacks. The radical green and "left" people are a big problem...afaik they burned over 200 (high value) cars in our capital.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:02 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
My wife IS just the opposite!
We used to have a 3 series cab all lowered with 19" wheels....great car....and a couple of male customers came in and seen her new car...2007 Nissan Altima.Thinking they were going to be smart-asses they said to her "Times are tough,eh...had to sell the BMW"?
She replied "Nope have a Porsche now!"
They just laughed at her as if she was lying.
Next day,by fluke,approx. same time I drive in with......the Porsche...their faces DROPPED and I think she grew 2 inches taller!
Never seen her smile that BIG!
She gets one second of satisfaction but those envious customers won't forget how her statement touched the root of their insecurity. Not that they ever wanted to see her happy anyway .. if they did .. they wouldn't have been so thrilled at the thought of her driving an Altima . It's really sad when you think about it .

Old 12-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Cayman S 2009 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I don't let any employees or clients know about my car. Employees will want a raise and clients will want a deal. It's nobody's business what I drive and how much I spent on a car.

I do park several blocks away at a better garage then the one at my office.
Same here, my employees even don't know where I live and what size is my house.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Cayman S 2009 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RonCT
Considering the state of the economy you have to be a fool not to at least think about the message driving a 911 to work can send, especially if in a multi-tenant building. Think about this, some other company in your building is going down, people are laid off in waves until they close up shop. Maybe in your company people have had hour reductions, furloughs, layoffs, etc. And here you come in a shiny new Porsche 911... I'm not saying it's rational or justified because you made good choices that got you to where you are and you can afford to drive the car you want. But perception and reality are usually far apart.

Me, I never drive either of my Porsches to work and I own the company and even have a private garage space at my building, so it would be 100% secure. I worked hard building the company so I could buy what I want and I just don't gain any enjoyment driving the Porsche to work. Besides, it's a short commute. There are times I'm "on the road" for work and I'll swing by home to pick it up, especially if it's a windy road route to get to where I'm going. I don't specifically hide the car, but I also choose when and where I drive it for my own enjoyment and not so the world will see that I'm driving a Porsche. I know some guys that just couldn't bring themselves to drive their "lesser" car anywhere - have to have that Porsche out all the time. Me, I don't care what anyone thinks. I enjoy my A4 (manual, sport suspension) and it serves its function well. And I think that when I do drive the Porsches (Boxster S / 997.2S) it feels that much more special because it's not "old hat".
same here, exactly.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Lostturbo has a spectacular aura aboutLostturbo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RonCT
Considering the state of the economy you have to be a fool not to at least think about the message driving a 911 to work can send, especially if in a multi-tenant building. Think about this, some other company in your building is going down, people are laid off in waves until they close up shop. Maybe in your company people have had hour reductions, furloughs, layoffs, etc. And here you come in a shiny new Porsche 911... I'm not saying it's rational or justified because you made good choices that got you to where you are and you can afford to drive the car you want. But perception and reality are usually far apart.

Me, I never drive either of my Porsches to work and I own the company and even have a private garage space at my building, so it would be 100% secure. I worked hard building the company so I could buy what I want and I just don't gain any enjoyment driving the Porsche to work. Besides, it's a short commute. There are times I'm "on the road" for work and I'll swing by home to pick it up, especially if it's a windy road route to get to where I'm going. I don't specifically hide the car, but I also choose when and where I drive it for my own enjoyment and not so the world will see that I'm driving a Porsche. I know some guys that just couldn't bring themselves to drive their "lesser" car anywhere - have to have that Porsche out all the time. Me, I don't care what anyone thinks. I enjoy my A4 (manual, sport suspension) and it serves its function well. And I think that when I do drive the Porsches (Boxster S / 997.2S) it feels that much more special because it's not "old hat".
+1 ...Well said....

Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Type2 is on a distinguished road
I've been through M5's M6's Range Rovers and a cls 55.

I've driven my honda fit to work since 2007

I totally agree with most of what has been said here. Most of my employees have nicer daily drivers than me. Being humble is important, especially in this economy.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Wow, you lot are an interesting bunch... Before I joined this forum I had expectations that there would be a lot of un-likeminded people to me but now I feel that there are people who feel the same way as I do.

So far I have never detected any hint of egotism, hubris or outright elitism... You are a bunch of keen hearted enthusiasts and I'm glad to be here to share the camaraderie.

I only wish there were more porsches here in Australia! Not many people 'get it' because once you drive a P-car, you know it feels just right!

But more to the topic at hand. Because sometimes I work on site, I have to wear my reflective safety vest and I look like a construction worker. I sometimes forget to take it off when I drive home and indeed there are MANY weird and disturbing reactions I get from passers-by.

For this and many of the reasons put forth by others here, I tinted my windows at 20% to make sure that I am UNRECOGNIZABLE from the outside. Actually, the sun is so hot down under I'm considering tinting the front windscreen (at a very light shade) to help stop the heat from baking the interior this summer.

My missus has forbidden me from taking the 911 to her place of work even though she's a medical professional. I grew up in a low socio-economic suburb of sydney so I never take my car there to visit my old friends.

H

Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 PM
TheMethLab is on a distinguished road
I've seen a positive and negative side to owning my 911 when it comes to business dealings. Negative is that some clients feel they are being over charged to fuel my "extravagant" lifestyle. Positive is some clients feel confident giving me their business because I must be good at my job in order to afford nice things. I've actually had these things said directly to me. As far as my employees are concerned, I don't hide it from them. I have worked hard for what I have and I don't need to apologize for that. I feel like I'm proof to them that hard work pays off. With that said, I usually drive my XTerra to work so I don't get the 911 beat up. But I have no problem driving it to work or anywhere else when the mood arises.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:49 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ZoSo_DXB
My opinion, park the car wherever u want and drive it as much as u please, u earned it. Peoples opinions don't matter anyways

Do they

I really want to agree with this, and in the big picture, you are right, however....

Considering the "image" associated with what you drive is a real and tangible factor if you work in a small enough town that people notice things.

One day I showed up my new Lotus Exige S. It was not in a high profile spot either, just the regular employee lot. Within 2 days virtually everyone knew someone was driving an "exotic flashy expensive" car.

If your job entails renewal via a contract, consider keeping a low profile. If not, I agree with above, drive whatever you want.

Fortunately the 911 is a bit more stealthy than the Lotus.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:01 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
It's my daily driver. I am a very low profile guy though, so I always made it a point of never making eye contact and sneeking into our garage. THe word has leaked out with people I work with though. Of course, I don't know what they say, and frankly I don't give a crap, but it still bugs me because I suspect they are judging me in some way. I love everything about the car, but the stigma bugs me. I can spend more on an M3 or M5, but I wouldn't get judged...

Old 12-15-2009, 07:04 PM
nine11 is on a distinguished road
Interesting comments. I have thousands of employees, and it is pretty difficult hiding your life. The rumour mill forces you out of hiding. I felt extreme guilt over a Merc company car, which I drive to work. Imported car prices here are off the dial here so these toys are seen as an extreme privilege. It's unfortunate, as my passion is so extreme, I had to have. Our local employees are curious, and for them to ask me is a big deal. Always feel crappy about displaying any passion. I get more crap from expats than local folk. Comments such as ... "My husband isn't interested in cars, cars are a waste of money"...blah blah. Mind you how many of these hypocrites ask me for a ride. So I'm a bit like a Jekyll and Hyde, I will be open about my passion with some and pretend I don't own one to others. I do not drive the P-Car to work ever. Sometimes I think it would make a dull day quite exciting. I have got over the Merc guilt many years ago. Heck I work hard, and those around me know that so I think they appreciate it's deserving. These things shouldn't put stress on us, as it is our only form of relaxation.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 PM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
i just drive it and park it as if it was a normal car. someone finding out you have a 911 and purposely hide it makes it worse IMHO.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Flying Cat will become famous soon enoughFlying Cat will become famous soon enough
I am lucky enough to work from home. So I avoid many of the situations described above. However, one day talking to one of my co-workers over the phone, we started discussing cars and the fact that her husband was looking at Porsches 911. She went on and on, until I could not hide it anymore; I ended up telling her I have a 911 C2S.

Few months later, at an industry event having dinner with all my co-workers, she opened her mouth and started making comments of the car I drive. I should have kept my mouth shot in the first place. However, I made no apologies. Some of my co-workers chose to have kids, pay alimony, and live in the Bay Area. I have no kids and live in a part of the country with reasonable home prices.

I am still waiting for my boss to find out. It will be interesting to hear his comments. If he makes sarcarstic comments, I will make same type of remarks about his boat or his new 5000 sq. ft. home.

The second day I bought my C2S, my wife told her co-workers. They have been dying to go for a ride ever since; while also making comments such as: "it must be nice to make as much money as your husband makes." Again, I make no apologies, they too could have chosen a more profitable profession.

My strategy is low key; I am never the one to start car or Porsche conversation with others. If and when people find out, I make no apologies.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I do drive my 911s to work and I try to park far away from everyone.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Tattoo is on a distinguished road
Unquestionably, we should all be able to drive whatever we want to drive. It is our privilege earned by years of hard work and determination. We must, however, never forget that others do not have the drive, intelligence, nor the follow through to live this lifestyle. We have many haters out there, any many of them are furious about our success. I still say we should be cautious about our lifestyle and be very aware of what others think.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do people feel about parking their 911 at work?