997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car flooded, any advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:30 AM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
an update....

just got back from Champion and speaking with the service advisor there. They said around 18-20 cars came in yesterday and today from flood damage. Basically told me insurance will not total the car and that the damage is very typical in south florida. He estimates quickly that cost of repair to be around $5000 unless engine is damaged which it probably is not.

There process is to rip out all the carpeting and send it to their stema cleaner. Then dry out the car and replace parts as needed. I told them to hold up on any repair work until I get a rundown of the damage and after the insurance adjuster arrives and asseses the damage. Seems like it would be very difficult to total the car as it was not entirely under water. Any advice going forward if they press to just repair the damaged/wet areas.

Also how does this affect my carfax/title. Will it be a flood/salvage/other title or remain clear? I don't want to run into issues afterwards if I decide to trade in the car after this whole ordeal is over with and get punished because of this situation.

Thanks again

Old 12-19-2009, 12:18 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Hedge the loss right here and now

Get the car fixed . Then trade it in . Don't live with worry and doubt . Even if they fix it correctly you will always know that at some time any hint of a glitch will bring up all the stress of this moment . In the case of my friend his insurance did not even cover him as they had clauses in his contract . When my car was submereged I was young (23), was not wealthy, and only had PIP and liability (bare minimum imsurance) so I did not even make a claim. In fact the savings in cost to insure me as a 23 year old for full coverage premium paid my next car . Then I began getting more insurance as i got older. Every car I know after water damage is never the same . In fact when I see low mileage cars at indepedent lots .. water damage is the first thought that comes to mind when I see a clean car fax.

You will lose 10K on your car plus you will have to pay retail for a new car . I know it's painful but its (IMO) the way to change a negative into a positive . In fact this time around you can get every aspect of the car exactly the way you want and the memory of that last car will fade .

Old 12-20-2009, 07:54 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Get the car fixed . Then trade it in . Don't live with worry and doubt . Even if they fix it correctly you will always know that at some time any hint of a glitch will bring up all the stress of this moment . In the case of my friend his insurance did not even cover him as they had clauses in his contract . When my car was submereged I was young (23), was not wealthy, and only had PIP and liability (bare minimum imsurance) so I did not even make a claim. In fact the savings in cost to insure me as a 23 year old for full coverage premium paid my next car . Then I began getting more insurance as i got older. Every car I know after water damage is never the same . In fact when I see low mileage cars at indepedent lots .. water damage is the first thought that comes to mind when I see a clean car fax.

You will lose 10K on your car plus you will have to pay retail for a new car . I know it's painful but its (IMO) the way to change a negative into a positive . In fact this time around you can get every aspect of the car exactly the way you want and the memory of that last car will fade .

+1......sell it!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:08 AM
p-cardriver is infamous around these parts
Let them take out the interior, but sell those parts. Use that money plus the insurance proceeds to get some track seats and a roll bar or cage. Begin turning it into a track car, and enjoy it!

I would have a problem with selling it and not disclosing the damage and repairs, but I wouldn't have a problem driving it on the track!

Old 12-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Have you considered filing a Diminished Value Claim?

Not sure what the laws are in FL, or how it relates to non-collision events, but the best resource is Richard Hixenbaugh, Collision Claim Associates, (770) 887-7626. He is here in ATL, but can refer you to a partner in FL. His site is: www.collisionclaims.com. Top notch.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
CATTMAN

Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Cattman
Have you considered filing a Diminished Value Claim?

Not sure what the laws are in FL, or how it relates to non-collision events, but the best resource is Richard Hixenbaugh, Collision Claim Associates, (770) 887-7626. He is here in ATL, but can refer you to a partner in FL. His site is: www.collisionclaims.com. Top notch.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
CATTMAN
thanks will definitely give them a call.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by RUFLUV
My suggestion is to immediately gather as much documentation as possible regarding the extent of the flood. If you did not take good photos of the high water perhaps you can go back to the parking garage and get sone shots of the "high water marks" on the concrete walls or columns. Measure the actual distance so you can show how far under your vehicle was. I would also get weather info and try to find out the names of anyone else who suffered a loss there. You must demand a total loss payout from your insurance company and if they balk HIRE A LAWYER. The insurance company is not motivated to pay you off if the car can be cosmetically repaired. Amazingly, almost all insurance companies do not report flood damage to Carfax or other serrvices, so the only way the subsequent consumer can find out about it is if the seller is honest or if the car was an insurance buyout "total loss" and the title gets branded. As it happens, Florida does require insurance flood loss buyouts to get a re-issued "flood title" but this only lessens the insurance companies motiovation to pay you in full because then they end up with an essentially worthless flood car.DO NOT LET THE ADJUSTER BULLY YOU INTO KEEPING THE CAR IF THE ELECTRICAL & COMPUTER COMPONENTS GOT WET! You will regret it. The Porsche warranty will not cover the problems you will have later. You may even heve to sue the owner/operator of the garage but what ever you do dont just settle for a deal to"fix the car".
thanks for the advice. a report was made at the mall but they are unwilling to release a report to me. it seems to me they are trying to make it difficult and that if a report was to be released it needs to be reviewed first by their lawyers. they did state that if the insurance needs it, they would provide information. i was able to get on their letterhead a hand written note stating my name, date of incident, case number, and the contact person there (risk manager for the mall).

My question is: is the mall liable? do i let the insurance company handle the situation and should the mall be liable at least for my deductible ($1000). thanks.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:31 PM
p-cardriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by spudz5
thanks for the advice. a report was made at the mall but they are unwilling to release a report to me. it seems to me they are trying to make it difficult and that if a report was to be released it needs to be reviewed first by their lawyers. they did state that if the insurance needs it, they would provide information. i was able to get on their letterhead a hand written note stating my name, date of incident, case number, and the contact person there (risk manager for the mall).

My question is: is the mall liable? do i let the insurance company handle the situation and should the mall be liable at least for my deductible ($1000). thanks.
Depends on the laws in your state and your policy, but for me the answers would be yes, yes, and yes.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Yes, the mall is liable. You have recourse here. Just be patient, and go through the process. Have you hired an attny?
CATTMAN