997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Should I do sport clutch and LWFW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 AM
'ringmeister is on a distinguished road
wow. the misinformation (if not outright lies) that flow from the lips of stealerships never ceases to amaze. there is no DME reprogramming required.

Originally Posted by Porsche05
Thank you all for your input. I think I am leaning toward not doing it. I am getting push back from the Pepe. They will not cover the engine for the two years if I install these parts. Also, they do not have the tools to reprogram the DME with the new FW, so I don't want to be pulling out and have the car stall on me every time I stop. So if anyone is interested I will be selling the clutch kit and the LWFW that I have still brand new in the box. I will post a new thread with the parts numbers and some pictures. PM me if you are interested. Thank you all this has been very helpful!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:38 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
There was a SA from Porsche a few years back that was posted here (can find it with a search). Basically, Porsche tells dealers not to install LWFW on anything but the RS, which is the only car / engine designed to handle it. I guess there were enough failures to get Porsche to notify every dealer and of course if you install it, you void your engine warranty. Before the SA was issued, I'd think about it only if my engine / clutch / flywheel had to come out anyway. There was nothing from Porsche specifically telling us not to do it. But now, if my memory is correct, we're all on notice.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RonCT
There was a SA from Porsche a few years back that was posted here (can find it with a search). Basically, Porsche tells dealers not to install LWFW on anything but the RS, which is the only car / engine designed to handle it. I guess there were enough failures to get Porsche to notify every dealer and of course if you install it, you void your engine warranty. Before the SA was issued, I'd think about it only if my engine / clutch / flywheel had to come out anyway. There was nothing from Porsche specifically telling us not to do it. But now, if my memory is correct, we're all on notice.
I was told once the same in regards to the light flywheels breaking Porsche crankshafts.

Read this thread, it got same exact info essentially. And decide for yourself.

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20622

If I understand it right LWFW with a sprung clutch should be OK.

Last edited by utkinpol; 12-29-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Well, you've received plenty of advice, and so the best thing to do is what you've decided to do: go with your gut. It's your car, so you've got to be comfortable with your decision.

Each of us have a different appetite for the rsik/ reward balance. If you look at my mod list, you'll recognize that I'm out on the fringe.

Good luck with your new engine, hopefully Pepe will do a great job on the installation. And if you get the bug (as I am sure you will), come on back for more advice and friendly debate!
CATTMAN

Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RonCT
Probably because RS got proper forged crank inside like old Porsches had.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:47 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Probably because RS got proper forged crank inside like old Porsches had.
The RS FW Conversion Kit that Sharkwerks sells has all the right parts to make the LWFW work.

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=154

The LWFW conversion on the Carrera engines is much simpler due to the design.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
The RS FW Conversion Kit that Sharkwerks sells has all the right parts to make the LWFW work.

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=154

The LWFW conversion on the Carrera engines is much simpler due to the design.
I guess it all depends of to what degree of imperfection crankshaft was produced and how it is balanced in ones car. Obviously it does not brake in each and every car with LWFW. But it would be incorrect to claim that such thing may not ever happen and as you could see from link I posted - it does happen more than once. From other perspective tracking nuts probably kill their cars way before crankshaft is able to accumulate enough stress to give way.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I guess it all depends of to what degree of imperfection crankshaft was produced and how it is balanced in ones car. Obviously it does not brake in each and every car with LWFW. But it would be incorrect to claim that such thing may not ever happen and as you could see from link I posted - it does happen more than once. From other perspective tracking nuts probably kill their cars way before crankshaft is able to accumulate enough stress to give way.
I have said it before, but there are risks to any mod.

I am trying to work my car as hard as I can, but this car has yet to have anything go on it, incredible! The plan is to pass it on to the next owner and get a GT3 soon, and if it becomes a garage queen will likely implode!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Porsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud of
Again, all you guys have been a great help in helping me make up my mind. This is what I have decided to do. I will let the dealer put in the new engine with the OEM parts. Then I will start doing other mods on my own like the exhaust and intake and software. I think I was discourage by the dealer and at the same time I do not trust them in installing the LWFW right. In 6 months time I will do the clutch kit with the LWFW by a 3rd party. If anyone lives in the NYC area and has the LWFW installed on their 997 I would love to meet up to get more information. Again thank you all for your help.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:25 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Leave it to Alex to come up with a solution. When my car needs a new clutch, I know whom to call