997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Should I do sport clutch and LWFW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Porsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud of
Should I do sport clutch and LWFW

Hello All,

Well Porsche is replacing my engine with a new one because of the IMS failure. I would like to ask everyone advice. While I have the engine out, should I upgrade the clutch to a sport clutch and install a LWFW? Let me know what you guys think and if you have this upgrade let me know how you like it?

Thanks

Last edited by Porsche05; 12-28-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I did it, and am thrilled. The engine revs much quicker. An upgraded clutch isn't really necessary, but the LWFW is an excellent upgrade. I've posted on it here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rade-time.html

CATTMAN

Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
I have it in my Cayman, X51 clutch and LWFW, but I alos have a turbo installed and 520BHP in it. What mods do you have?
Just doing the clutch and LWFW will be probably around $3-4K, it will rev easier but without any other mods not necessary.
The LWFW will add some noise and rattle at idle, just like a GT3. Not bad though.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:11 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Any stage 3 clutch will be very stiff, so, make sure you know what you`re doing.

it does make sense to put those mods on as engine is going down. LWFW will make car more difficult to drive in start-stop traffic, but is probably worth to do for acceleration benefits. I will definitely do LWFW when my clutch will be due to be replaced.

In your situation for clutch I would decide based on condition of your current stock clutch. It may not yet be worn at all and in this case it may not be overly critical to get a new one, but it is up to you. If it is more than 30% worn them I guess it is better to replace it now than to wait and pay for it again.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:23 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cattman
I did it, and am thrilled. The engine revs much quicker. An upgraded clutch isn't really necessary, but the LWFW is an excellent upgrade. I've posted on it here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rade-time.html

CATTMAN
do you still have to do what you wrote initially:

"Whoa, big difference. Of course I stalled 3 times right off the bat, as the clutch uptake is a LOT more immediate. Pedal pressure is actually lighter on the way in, but comes back up more slowly, the way it does in an OEM 997TT. You've got to blip the RPM's to around 1800-2000 before you can let off the clutch, and you've got to let off it quickly. It's ready to grab almost immediately."

I mean, 'blip' car up to 2K rpm area to make it move? As your clutch got burned in a bit with time - can you start your car now moving without slippage on snow/wet pavement starting with 1-1.5K rpm very slowly at 4-5mph speed? Or will it get stalled at such attempt right away?

Last edited by utkinpol; 12-28-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:47 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure you get a clutch that is intended for street use. And while you're at it why not add a LSD...

Old 12-28-2009, 12:48 PM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
do the LWFW and do an LSD too, one for sale here

the expense of these upgrades really is the labor - while they are in there, this should be minimal additional cost

Old 12-28-2009, 01:17 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have a LWFW with my OEM clutch, and I don't find it anymore difficult to drive in city traffic, nor do I need to blip the throttle to get the car moving from a stop.

I doubt that Porsche is going to want to replace the FW when doing an engine swap, but if they do, go for it, it is worth the money.

I also have a LSD and it makes it a big difference for exit speed of corners.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Clutch: I have the Sachs Stage 2 clutch, which is not stiff at all. And where at first I had to blip the throttle, I no longer have to do that, it feels just like a regular clutch. Of course it can handle more power, and is more durable, too.

LWFW: This has NOT made my car difficult in traffic. I don't know what car you experienced that with, but I've not had that to any degree. There is, as someone noted, a bit of "clatter", if you will, associated with the LWFW. It's not annoying though, or loud. I only hear it at idle when my foot is off the clutch.
CATTMAN

Old 12-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Porsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud of
Has anyone had a engine problems because installing a LWFW, like cracking in the engine.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:10 PM
No. Why would that happen?
CATTMAN

Old 12-28-2009, 03:28 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Porsche05
Has anyone had a engine problems because installing a LWFW, like cracking in the engine.
I never heard of such a thing, where did you hear that?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:09 PM
I have the LWFW and the sachs clutch and the Porsche Dealer is willing to put it in. Anyway, they told me that what would happen.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
you need to upgrade the pulley too.. they can order you a GT3RS pullley or get an aftermarket one

Old 12-28-2009, 08:03 PM
mondego will become famous soon enough
I am curious - when they offered to replace the engine, did you have the option of upgrading to a different engine if you paid the difference, i.e. GT3 or X51?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I do sport clutch and LWFW