997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone ever use Girodisc...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Sure add extra unsprung weight to your car, that should help with AutoX, a set is roughly $1200 to the $7000 Brembo 355's that won't decrease stopping distance, although they will dissipate heat very well.
Brembo rotors weight is less than of stock set and 6 piston caliper does reduce stopping distance so both your statements were incorrect.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:17 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Brembo rotors weight is less than of stock set and 6 piston caliper does reduce stopping distance so both your statements were incorrect.
Check you facts, someone is selling you a set of brakes that you probably don't need.

Your stopping distance is directly related to your friction, if you run street tires your ABS will be going off all the time, as your tires won't provide enough grip to handle the friction that your brakes generate, and won't slow you down any more then a set of OEM brakes.

Try some better pads and save your money.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Check you facts, someone is selling you a set of brakes that you probably don't need.

Your stopping distance is directly related to your friction, if you run street tires your ABS will be going off all the time, as your tires won't provide enough grip to handle the friction that your brakes generate, and won't slow you down any more then a set of OEM brakes.

Try some better pads and save your money.
And who says I am doing it for running on street on street tires? Plus do not exaggerate. It is not that bad, I drove cars with Brembo brakes and it is not overly horrible.

What I do not know yet is what to do with rear axle. Ideal money saving solution would be to move current front calipers/rotors there, it would save another 3K. But I doubt if it may be done on 911 car.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:35 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
And who says I am doing it for running on street on street tires? Plus do not exaggerate. It is not that bad, I drove cars with Brembo brakes and it is not overly horrible.

What I do not know yet is what to do with rear axle. Ideal money saving solution would be to move current front calipers/rotors there, it would save another 3K. But I doubt if it may be done on 911 car.
Save some money and buy the 330mm Brembo's, they will be lighter then stock, and cheaper then the 355mm set. They won't dissipate heat as well, but that doesn't seem to be what you are looking for anyway.

You can swap your front's and leave your back brakes as is.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Save some money and buy the 330mm Brembo's, they will be lighter then stock, and cheaper then the 355mm set. They won't dissipate heat as well, but that doesn't seem to be what you are looking for anyway.

You can swap your front's and leave your back brakes as is.
330s are slightly cheaper than 355s and frankly I see little sense in going this way. 355mm set allows 18" rims to be mounted and I believe will cause no issues.

What is your grudge about 355mm set? Did you have it on your car and disliked it? Are you sure you`re not mistaken 355mm set with 380mm set?

Usual Brembos for 997 cars are 14" or 15" fronts and 13.6" or 15" rears. I do not even recall anybody selling 13" Brembos for 996/997 cars. It is something odd you`re saying here.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:29 PM
7Speed is on a distinguished road
I use GiroDisc on my 997.2 front's are 340 mm. Excellent Rotors, No complains.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 AM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
I have the Girodiscs set for my 06 C2S. They are 350mm. Approximately 3 lbs saving per corner. I like them.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
We have used Giro With great success.. We have a customer of ours with them on his 09' 997 and he has used them for 26 full weekend DE events and they are still going.. Very well made for the $$$ and they last.. Martin @ Giro Stands behind his products.. If anyone needs assistance with some further info or pricing feel free to Pm me.. Thanks!!

Mike

Old 01-08-2010, 08:38 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
utkinpol, I know mods are fun and if you have the money to blow by all means go get what you want. However you talk of AutoX all the time and I do those too and can tell you the stock brakes for AutoX are more than enough. I have tracked 4+ years with the stock Carrera S brakes with a pad swap and they are fine for high speed track driving. Stock Porsche brakes are no slouch. Jarred in Asheville NC who went by blacked out on this and other forums has 6 pot fronts and ended up going back to 4's for the front because even with his hoped up Carrera S they were too much and the braking balance of the car was not correct.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums
utkinpol, I know mods are fun and if you have the money to blow by all means go get what you want. However you talk of AutoX all the time and I do those too and can tell you the stock brakes for AutoX are more than enough. I have tracked 4+ years with the stock Carrera S brakes with a pad swap and they are fine for high speed track driving. Stock Porsche brakes are no slouch. Jarred in Asheville NC who went by blacked out on this and other forums has 6 pot fronts and ended up going back to 4's for the front because even with his hoped up Carrera S they were too much and the braking balance of the car was not correct.
I slowly turn my car into track car, and brake replacement will be done at same time with PSS10 coilovers and finally slicks. Then I`ll start tracking her. Then if stars will align I will strip her and make dedicated race car out of her. That is what I bought car for essentially anyway. So, step by step, it will become something I want out of her, with time, and I am not in a hurry. As you noted correctly - it is fun and I do it for fun. A lot of people do much sillier things anyway.

I used to run on track on my previous cars a bit but I still cannot start feeling 911 properly so that is why I spend as much time at Devens as possible as it is very helpful to get overall feel and balance of a car. I spoke about it before and see nothing shameful here to say that I am afraid still to take it to oval track and run her at 160 mph as I still do not feel when my rear axle looses traction and becomes front axle in a turn. But I`m getting there.

I listen to everything people with experience say here and I do agree that most likely used set of 997 C2S brakes or used 996 GT3 brakes may suffice so will see how budget will work out later this year. Still I think that ultimately building race car of her putting used C2S calipers would be cutting corners way compared to 355mm 6 piston brembos. Will see, nothing is carved on a stone there.

Last edited by utkinpol; 01-08-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
My OEM brake rotors started cracking under heat & pressure of track driving after 3 events... I will keep them as long as I can, I also added GT3 Brake Duct Spoilers to keep them cool but they were installed just recently...

I am planning to upgrade to Girodisc as well. They are larger in diameter than OEM and lighter. And according to every comment I read they last really long They are expensive but if you need to replace your rotors and wanted to upgrade your brakes these are ideal since both and rear diameter and grip increases over the stock.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Never knew you were going to race so with that said yes you need to go look into with AP Racing, Stop Tech and so forth offer. I was just talking about AutoX and normal DE use but you have now changed that.

Have fun! Mike

I slowly turn my car into track car, and brake replacement will be done at same time with PSS10 coilovers and finally slicks. Then I`ll start tracking her. Then if stars will align I will strip her and make dedicated race car out of her. That is what I bought car for essentially anyway. So, step by step, it will become something I want out of her, with time, and I am not in a hurry. As you noted correctly - it is fun and I do it for fun. A lot of people do much sillier things anyway.

I used to run on track on my previous cars a bit but I still cannot start feeling 911 properly so that is why I spend as much time at Devens as possible as it is very helpful to get overall feel and balance of a car. I spoke about it before and see nothing shameful here to say that I am afraid still to take it to oval track and run her at 160 mph as I still do not feel when my rear axle looses traction and becomes front axle in a turn. But I`m getting there.

I listen to everything people with experience say here and I do agree that most likely used set of 997 C2S brakes or used 996 GT3 brakes may suffice so will see how budget will work out later this year. Still I think that ultimately building race car of her putting used C2S calipers would be cutting corners way compared to 355mm 6 piston brembos. Will see, nothing is carved on a stone there.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
zoomzoommo is on a distinguished road
Girodisc

I installed the Girodisc rotors over the weekend. The installation was a snap, and the rotors are works of art. I did weigh the oem rotor and the Giro on a bathroom scale, and there was only a 1.2 lb difference.

My Pagid Yellow were causing the stress fractures on the OEM rotors, so moving to a slotted rotor will lessen my worries

Last edited by zoomzoommo; 04-22-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by zoomzoommo
I installed the Girodisc rotors over the weekend. The installation was a snap, and the rotors are works of art. I did weigh the oem rotor and the Giro on a bathroom scale, and there was only a 1.2 lb difference.

My Pagid Yellow were causing the stress fractures on the OEM rotors, so moving to a slotted rotor will lessen my worries
Awesome....keep us posted. The slotted rotors will crack too.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
330s are slightly cheaper than 355s and frankly I see little sense in going this way. 355mm set allows 18" rims to be mounted and I believe will cause no issues.
You can even clear 380mm's with 18's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.