997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help with DME scan results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:50 PM
cb333 is on a distinguished road
Help with DME scan results

All,

06 C2S, 5000 miles on it, CPO. below are the scan results:

number of ignitions at range 1: 861
number of ignitions at range 2: 144
number of ignitions at range 3: 33
number of ignitions at range 4: 3

Operation hours Counter at 1: 171.6h
Operation hours Counter at 2: 171.6h
Operation hours Counter at 3: 3.1h
Operation hours Counter at 4: 3.1h

total operating hours: 175.4h

I have spoken with the porsche tech and he said there should be nothing to worry about, and the CPO would still be intact. He sees no oil leaks in the engine bay.

So If i'm reading this correctly, the range 3 and 4 happened quite early (probably during the break-in period). That somewhat bothers me (improper break-in).

Thoughts?

Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 PM
CarGuy21 is infamous around these partsCarGuy21 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cb333
All,

Operation hours Counter at 1: 171.6h
Operation hours Counter at 2: 171.6h
Operation hours Counter at 3: 3.1h
Operation hours Counter at 4: 3.1h

total operating hours: 175.4h

I have spoken with the porsche tech and he said there should be nothing to worry about, and the CPO would still be intact. He sees no oil leaks in the engine bay.

So If i'm reading this correctly, the range 3 and 4 happened quite early (probably during the break-in period). That somewhat bothers me (improper break-in).

Thoughts?
Others with more knowledge than I can chime in here. The way I read your chart it shows total hours at each range not when during the car's life this occured.

Given that ranges above, I believe 5 are critical I don't see anything to be of concern here.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:33 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
It shows the last hour that it hit that range. So someone did drive the car hard at 3.1 hours into the cars break-in.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:01 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
that looks pretty clean! i wouldn't have any worries about 3 in range 4...

Old 01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cb333
All,

Thoughts?
car is OK, no issues shown.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if this dealer is the one that you will get the car serviced at.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Looks like one heck of a test drive .
as most know here --I am not into level 3 or 4 over revs .
Even if the engine can take it --why buy it ? Why overlook it?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Looks like one heck of a test drive .
as most know here --I am not into level 3 or 4 over revs .
Even if the engine can take it --why buy it ? Why overlook it?
+1 and who says you can't do long term damage in a split second?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:42 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Can someone please explain how to properly interpret a DME scan?

Thanks!
-Mike

Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Range one over revs are from bumping into the rev limiter. The other over revs ar from downshifting inappropriately into a lower gear. My understanding id that ranges 5 or 6 are cause for warrantee rejections for engine damage. ranges 2,3 and 4 are not as serious. The number in the range are the number of ignitions. So if there are 100 ignitions in range 1, the engine ran for about .28 seconds at 7200 rpm ( 100 ignitions / 6 cyl / 1 ignition per 2 revolutions / 7200 rpm X 60 sec per min.) or 100/3/7200X60 = ~.28 sec. Some one please check my math! This is not neccessarily one event but a summary of one or more over reve events.

It looks like the rev limiter was touched a few times and that there was perhaps one extreme downshift but nothing damaging. Not to obad for 5,000 miles.

If someone sees it differently, please chime in.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:09 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rye595
Can someone please explain how to properly interpret a DME scan?

Thanks!
-Mike
There is no way to properly interpret the information. It is presented and it is up to the individual to decide if they are OK with what they see. It has been noted on this forum that Porsche has denied warranty work due to over revs in certain ranges. Maybe someone will chime in with a specific situation so that I don't misrepresent what happened.

As you can tell from the responses to this post, so have interpreted the results as OK and so are not OK. I would be one that would pass on this car unless the dealer put in writing that they would cover ANY denied warranty work due to over revs. That way you would be covered. It might require alot of legwork to enforce in the end, but you should be covered.

I say that there are too many cars out there and keep looking. That's part of the fun. If you need it now then you might end up getting burned in the end and regret your decision. Solely up to you but be comfortable with the decision you make. Good luck with the purchase.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:44 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Fahrer
Range one over revs are from bumping into the rev limiter. The other over revs ar from downshifting inappropriately into a lower gear. My understanding id that ranges 5 or 6 are cause for warrantee rejections for engine damage. ranges 2,3 and 4 are not as serious. The number in the range are the number of ignitions. So if there are 100 ignitions in range 1, the engine ran for about .28 seconds at 7200 rpm ( 100 ignitions / 6 cyl / 1 ignition per 2 revolutions / 7200 rpm X 60 sec per min.) or 100/3/7200X60 = ~.28 sec. Some one please check my math! This is not neccessarily one event but a summary of one or more over reve events.

It looks like the rev limiter was touched a few times and that there was perhaps one extreme downshift but nothing damaging. Not to obad for 5,000 miles.

This is exactly the kind of post that makes me love this forum! Thanks for the knowledge. I was wondering what the different ranges meant, and your math looks good to me.

Personally, I'd be a little concerned that the 3 and 4 happened 3 hours into the life of the engine. Sounds like an intense test drive. There should really never be a reason to cause an over-rev on downshift! Even when racing, with properly timed heel-toe downshifts, you shouldn't ever have to rev to redline for a downshift. But I'm sure the average test driver isn't familiar enough with the car yet to know what the right downshift points are. They just drive it like they stole it for 30 minutes, then walk away.

That said, I'm sure the engine can take it... it was just one brief one.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:15 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rye595
This is exactly the kind of post that makes me love this forum! Thanks for the knowledge. I was wondering what the different ranges meant, and your math looks good to me.

Personally, I'd be a little concerned that the 3 and 4 happened 3 hours into the life of the engine. Sounds like an intense test drive. There should really never be a reason to cause an over-rev on downshift! Even when racing, with properly timed heel-toe downshifts, you shouldn't ever have to rev to redline for a downshift. But I'm sure the average test driver isn't familiar enough with the car yet to know what the right downshift points are. They just drive it like they stole it for 30 minutes, then walk away.

That said, I'm sure the engine can take it... it was just one brief one.
I think the downshift over revs sometimes come from a missed downshift, namely skipped gears instead of proper gear downshift that causes high revs. On a new car with different spacings than previous MT's, its not that difficult to do and maybe why it happened so early in this car's life.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Fahrer

7300rpm * 3 ignitions per = 21,900 ingitions per minute

21,900 / 60 seconds = 365 ingitions per second

100 ignitions / 365 per sec = .28 seconds

Your math is correct (should note that range one begins at 7300rpm). But one thing that should also be mentioned is the spread of rpms jumps in range 4 which is why 4-6 are deemed not so good by Porsche. I believe the car can safely tolerate a 1-3, but a 4 is where it starts to get into questionable territory especially so early on in the engine life and yes even for a fraction of a second.

Range 1: 7300-7500rpm
Range 2: 7500-7700
Range 3: 7700-7900
Range 4: 7900-8400
Range 5: 8400-9500
Range 6: 9500-11000

Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 PM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
I would think that there would be other similar C2S examples out there for you to purchase without the Range 4 wrinkle. Has CPO, but will you be able to get any written guarantee for future issues that may arise with the engine? Perhaps others have encountered this and wonder if they had any success getting anything in writing? My guess is the dealer will just sell the car to someone else less informed and not want to stick their neck out for this one sale.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with DME scan results