997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 vs Lotus Evora , back to back drives

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
997.2 vs Lotus Evora , back to back drives

I am a life long Porsche owner and my 997.2 is my 7th one so my opinion may be a bit biased but I just got back from the local dealer , The Collection, and a test drive of the Evora. Truthfully I really went because they have catered food there which was delicious but I was curious about the car as well. So.. first thoughts:

1- The interior felt small and cheap
2- The shifter felt long and notchy
3- I didn't like how the clutch felt
4- Very poor visibility to the rear

On a postive note it is a pretty car to look at and it handled very well. The brakes were also very good but in my opinion it is a huge step down from a 911 and for the money and Cayman too for that matter.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Cost?

Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
irysfan is on a distinguished road
How's the throttle response?

Old 02-20-2010, 04:36 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tromero
I am a life long Porsche owner and my 997.2 is my 7th one so my opinion may be a bit biased but I just got back from the local dealer , The Collection, and a test drive of the Evora. Truthfully I really went because they have catered food there which was delicious but I was curious about the car as well. So.. first thoughts:

1- The interior felt small and cheap
2- The shifter felt long and notchy
3- I didn't like how the clutch felt
4- Very poor visibility to the rear

On a postive note it is a pretty car to look at and it handled very well. The brakes were also very good but in my opinion it is a huge step down from a 911 and for the money and Cayman too for that matter.
I got the invitation too but didn't go. The Evora is not on my car intrigue list.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 PM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
I don't get the draw of the Evora. It looks like an ugly kit car.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:29 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
The '97 Lotus Turbo Esprit was my favorite car I ever owned. I've not driven or seen an Evora in person, but I hope there is still future for Lotus -- at least long enough for them to bring the Esprit back.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:42 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PTParks
Cost?
NADA says the MSRP of the 2+2 is $73,500. Don't know whether they came off the starting block being discounted.

Gary

Old 02-20-2010, 09:57 PM
cbzzoom is an unknown quantity at this point
It's got the interior space of the 911, and the mid-engine poise and handling of the Cayman. For many, that's a sweet spot that no P-car currently satisfies. It's also much more rare which is important to some. The awful rear visibility is a pretty big problem for a car that's intended to be practical, though.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:01 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
It definitely does not have the interior space of a 911, it seemed narrower and with far less head room. I am 6'3 and fit in the 911 much better.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:03 AM
As posted earlier the Evora is about 80k. In my opinion if I were shopping for an 80k car today I would surely go with an 07' GT3, no question about it.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
I think that cbzoom hit it on the head. A larger cayman alternative could be an interesting proposition. It has been said that the Lotus is somewhat under-developed at this point with its alpine aftermarket stereo/nav and other kit-car items. It is a shame that lotus does not partner with a big name for something other than the engines. Why not throw a Lexus nav system in it??
The big allure of the Evore, for me, is the better handling dynamics and road feel compared to the 911.(probably on par with the cayman) I am sure that it is sublime, in a way that the rear engined chassis can't manage (even in a GT3). I have heard that it feels really slow too. Maybe Toyota can slap a supercharged motor in it and get serious!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 AM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
The interior space is WAY less than a 911 and a cayman as well. The engine sounds like a vacuum cleaner. If you are not in the top 30% of the rev range it is dull. Mid-range torque is dreadful. I simply cannot comprehend the rave reviews in the press?

My driving impression matches Tromero's.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Though not yet having driven it, I've seen the Evora a few times and it is spectacularly beautiful. I'm a big fan of Colin Chapman's 'add lightness' philosophy but this car seems like a bit of a compromise of that philosophy. It is bigger and heavier than it should be, or I want it to be (3K lbs I believe), the interior is attractive but looks a bit kit-like and the engine is high in quality but low in power. It is comparable to a low-end Carrera in price, but less power than a Cayman. I'm sure the differentiation is in the handling, due to low weight and Lotus' attention to suspension details.
I'm waiting for the replacement to the Elise/Exige series - where really low weight makes a significant difference.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:29 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Verde
[...] comparable to a low-end Carrera in price, but less power than a Cayman. I'm sure the differentiation is in the handling, due to low weight and Lotus' attention to suspension details.
This comment has to be read with the understanding that I haven't driven a Lotus in thirty years. At least. It was an Elan and delightful. But with that said, I find it hard to imagine it having better handling than the dot two we just bought. We drove the Cayman on the same day, and it certainly wasn't any better. Of course, we're talking about road handling here, not track. Near the limit, the Cayman and Carrera would have different dynamics, and I'm sure the Lotus would be still another feel.

But on the road? This damn car is so solid when cornering that I tried to grab LOCMOTV for a plate. (Because this DFI engine has very satisfying mid-range torque to go with the feeling of being on rails when cornering.) Even on rough surfaces, there is no sense of tires sliding or even working hard. I'm going to have to take it to Willow Springs to find out how it behaves at the limit.

I have heard comments less flattering about some of the p-cars a few years ago. Enough that I understand why people do suspension mods at least. But anyone thinking of jumping to an Evora for the handling should try a 997.2 with PASM before signing any checks.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
the rear engine config can have some strange effects on handling that the cayman/lotus will not experience. For example, go around a tight 90 degree turn at 7/10s (like a street corner). Get on the gas before the car is completely in the direction you would like to go, and you will go straight. I mean STRAIGHT. Let off the gas before hitting the curb and the front end bites hard and the rear end bobbles. In AutoX, the situation is far worse, so careful in chicago-boxes. At higher speeds, these traits are less notable, but understeer is always there and very sensitive to weight transfer. Porsches won't bite you anymore, but you have to manage weight transfer expertly (which is very enjoyable!) The mid engine cars are plug-and-play and don't need this type of adjustment to driving style. I find this handling drama to be the actual reason that I wanted to try the 911 chassis, but if my life depended on a fast time in an autoX, I would go Mid-engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 vs Lotus Evora , back to back drives