997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: best intake option for Carrera S
keep stock intake
28.07%
replace with BMC filter
29.82%
Fabspeed cold intake with BMC filter
10.53%
Fabspeed Maxflo Comp air intake
5.26%
EVOMS V-flow intake
26.32%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

intake options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
possible engine deterioration is one concern - a very little one..

the other question would be:

is it even worth it? can i tell even a 3-5 hp gain?

car wont be tracked

i am not looking for a sound improvement.

just trying to figure out what's best for my car and get the most out of my car.
I have the BMC F-1 filter. For what it's worth, the engine revs more freely from 5000 rpm onward, compared to the "choked" feeling before at the range. Wait for it to go on sale, and it's totally worth it. I got mine for <$100 from AWE when they were overstocked.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 AM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
Carlos, regarding the BMC I can tell you that I honestly felt like I lost power and during some RPMs *2-3,500 rpms the car feels ever so slightly quieter *this may be my perception but I definitely feel like my butt dyno is accurate.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:10 AM
eathvy is infamous around these parts
Not a cheap way but what about a werks one airbox and an IPD plenum?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:04 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eathvy
Not a cheap way but what about a werks one airbox and an IPD plenum?
werks is beautiful to look at. for sure !

but i dont want to spend $4000+ for small performance improvement..

i am still trying to see if plenum is worth it.. i 've read it helps the throttle and give some hp/tq gain (+25 to +30?? - credible?).. but for $1100.. i just dont know, yet..

plenum.. is it worth it, people?

would appreciate ur inputs..

Old 03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RonCT
You left off probably the best (and only) intake mod I'd do. Porsche OEM X51 intake. I will never again use an oiled filter in one of my cars - bad experience and it wasn't my fault (ie: Over-oil). Stock or X51.
Originally Posted by 808c2s
I have the BMC F-1 filter. For what it's worth, the engine revs more freely from 5000 rpm onward, compared to the "choked" feeling before at the range. Wait for it to go on sale, and it's totally worth it. I got mine for <$100 from AWE when they were overstocked.
Originally Posted by 20-C4-10
Carlos, regarding the BMC I can tell you that I honestly felt like I lost power and during some RPMs *2-3,500 rpms the car feels ever so slightly quieter *this may be my perception but I definitely feel like my butt dyno is accurate.
this is why i am not sure if its worth it.. i am not looking for give and take when the take is so minimal..

808c2s.. thx for the heads up.. but i already have one sitting infront of me.. i havent unwrapped it cause i might just sell it..

Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I have the Evoms, and I don't think it is worth the money if you are looking for performance gains. If you are looking for sound then you should consider it.
what do u think IS worth the money, for performance gain..

thx !

Old 03-26-2010, 05:30 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
this is why i am not sure if its worth it.. i am not looking for give and take when the take is so minimal..

808c2s.. thx for the heads up.. but i already have one sitting infront of me.. i havent unwrapped it cause i might just sell it..
Don't sell it. Use it. IMO, all these aftermarket intakes do not give you the performance value return for their cost. Even Fabspeed admitted that the HP that comes from their intake system for the 997.1 were largely due to the BMC filter. Their orange tubing added another 5 HP at most per their discussion in one of the older threads.

I would have to agree with Northvan's assessment. I think the best intake is the OEM at present time. Throw in a BMC filter and you got a great true cold-air intake, performance wise.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !

options i am considering for intake:

1- keep it stock - after all, how much gain can i really get from changing the intake.. unless i also do FI or at least ECU flash
If you do FI.....the intake will NOT be used......every FI manufacture uses their own intake set-up

what do u think IS worth the money, for performance gain..

thx !
You answered that IN your first statement.......for HUGE power gains/$$..ONE option.....FI(via turbo or supercharger).
For other modest gains...possibly HIGH flow cats......
The Evoms intake DID make a sweet sound on my car when I had it!

Just my opinion,

Stacy

Old 03-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by justatoy
If you do FI.....the intake will NOT be used......every FI manufacture uses their own intake set-up

You answered that IN your first statement.......for HUGE power gains/$$..ONE option.....FI(via turbo or supercharger).
For other modest gains...possibly HIGH flow cats......
The Evoms intake DID make a sweet sound on my car when I had it!

Just my opinion,

Stacy
tough to have high flow cats in cali + they are pretty loud, arent they?

its nice to know that EVOMS sounds good, tho

as of now, i have an appointment with RSS stuttgart performance in costa mesa to install:

1- cargraphics exhaust
2- Porsche SSK
3- RSS spacers
4- RSS IPD Intake Plenum

gonna hold off on techart lowering springs for now, cause i really like how the car drives right now in both normal and sport mode.. and dont wanna mess with it.. even tho i hear good things about the progressive springs by eibach..

also prob gonna wait until after the above install to see if intake is really necessary

Old 03-26-2010, 06:15 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
I've just been through almost every possible add on in the hunt to tweak sound and gain some hp (or at least the 'in your seat' feeling)

Personally out of everything from muffler to cats to CAI to headers the one thing i noticed that really gave me a feeling of added HP was the Softronic ECU mod i did, got a great deal from Vivid when it was on sale and Dan helped me out big time even though i was a pest.

I've returned my ECU to stock using the cable everytime i would bring it in for service and always noticed a difference between stock & Softronic

If i had to redo it all and FI wasn't in the cards i would have done the Cargrahic exhaust or Gundo's (only for sound), AWE cats (sound & a bit of gain) and Softronic ECU

but that's my 11.5 cents

Old 03-26-2010, 06:17 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
tough to have high flow cats in cali + they are pretty loud, arent they?
It does make it louder but not 'get out of my neighborhood' louder, personally i really like it, especially w/the Cargraphics

Old 03-27-2010, 06:51 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
werks is beautiful to look at. for sure !

but i dont want to spend $4000+ for small performance improvement..

i am still trying to see if plenum is worth it.. i 've read it helps the throttle and give some hp/tq gain (+25 to +30?? - credible?).. but for $1100.. i just dont know, yet..

plenum.. is it worth it, people?

would appreciate ur inputs..
Plenum may be worth it, if you are not in a hurry may be I will have mine for sale later in June-July as I will start putting turbo on.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:09 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
I spoke at length about intakes with BR Racing. Those guys have raced Porsches for 16 years and have multiple wins. Robb said point blank that nobody has created an intake that is better than the stock one. I've read the sound can change from other intakes, but it will not impact performance (kinda like mufflers). I admit I didn't ask him about the BMC filter. I just asked about intakes in general.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:54 PM
thank u everyone for ur inputs !

i've decided to replace the stock with BMC filter i purchased, for now.

this sat, i am having Stuttgart Performance install:

Porsche SSK, Cargraphics exhaust, spacers, and IPD plenum.

gonna hold off on the intake until i decide to flash my ECU at a later date.. along with cats and/or headers.

also gonna wait on the techart lowering springs.. only because i am enjoying the current normal/sport suspension so much, i dont want to mess with it, yet.

only thing i've done so far is smarTop, Rennline pedals and hoen lights.

i will post pics asap..

Old 03-30-2010, 05:35 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
superb list of mods. One recommendation: get the sharkwerks bypass while you're at it no had the cargraphic exhaust on without the sharkwerks and it was not enough. You'll save on install if u do it at same time. Plus, the sound combo is wonderful.

thank u everyone for ur inputs !

i've decided to replace the stock with BMC filter i purchased, for now.

this sat, i am having Stuttgart Performance install:

Porsche SSK, Cargraphics exhaust, spacers, and IPD plenum.

gonna hold off on the intake until i decide to flash my ECU at a later date.. along with cats and/or headers.

also gonna wait on the techart lowering springs.. only because i am enjoying the current normal/sport suspension so much, i dont want to mess with it, yet.

only thing i've done so far is smarTop, Rennline pedals and hoen lights.

i will post pics asap..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: intake options