997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Isnt PDK just another way of saying "automatic"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:34 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
i understand..usuing the paddles is real shifting..ask ferrari guys..anyway - pointless, they make the manual for you and the pdk for me!

if it was a choice of tiptronic or manual i would go manual again..but pdk is too amazing to pass up and the extra sport plus with launch control is amazing

Old 04-03-2010, 05:35 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by adias
Who says those who have PDKs do not know the feeling of clutching/shifting manually?!?
+1 My first Porsche was a 6-Speed and I could handle it pretty well.

I don't think we would see all this PDK bashing if it was slower than a 6 speed.
The Tiptronic didn't produce all these hate threads.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:40 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by socalsteve
I think you are missing the point. I have no doubt that the computer would win...Its the satisfaction of "doing it yourself" and not having a computer do it for you.
But it appears that in your words, your 'computer' fails a lot, as it appears that you do not 'nail it' all the time:

"There is NO greater satisfaction than a seamless shift. From whatever gear to whatever gear, when you nail it, you just know it! Thats a huge part of driving a sports car. The instant feedback, the control, the fact that it is you and your talent-coordination-experience and NOT a computer."

If you do not nail shifting 99.9% of the time you have no shiifting skills. Therefore it appears that your implication that a sports car must have a manual tranny has everything to do with your need to prove yourself. Those of us who are skilled at manual shifting have no such frustration, and we just use whatever shifting technology for the job and do not fret about it.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:42 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by type997
+1 My first Porsche was a 6-Speed and I could handle it pretty well.

I don't think we would see all this PDK bashing if it was slower than a 6 speed.
The Tiptronic didn't produce all these hate threads.
There are many Freudian issues (personal limitations) behind these threads.

And let's not forget that PDK+SC is an extra $5.4k. People always rationalize not affording expensive options.

Last edited by adias; 04-03-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:59 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
But it appears that in your words, your 'computer' fails a lot, as it appears that you do not 'nail it' all the time:

"There is NO greater satisfaction than a seamless shift. From whatever gear to whatever gear, when you nail it, you just know it! Thats a huge part of driving a sports car. The instant feedback, the control, the fact that it is you and your talent-coordination-experience and NOT a computer."

If you do not nail shifting 99.9% of the time you have no shiifting skills. Therefore it appears that your implication that a sports car must have a manual tranny has everything to do with your need to prove yourself. Those of us who are skilled at manual shifting have no such frustration, and we just use whatever shifting technology for the job and do not fret about it.
Well, I guess its back to therapy for me...And I thought 15 years was enough...

Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
there are many freudian issues (personal limitations) behind these threads.

and let's not forget that pdk+sc is an extra $5.4k. People always rationalize not affording expensive options.
bingo!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:08 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I guess its back to therapy for me...And I thought 15 years was enough...
don't feel too bad. i miss drum brakes too. ABS is for sissies. traction control? silly. and what's with using anti freeze to cool an engine? heresy.

sometimes it's fun to have a clown in the room. that's the beauty of 7speedonline.com

Old 04-03-2010, 10:26 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Be honest, how many actually just leave the thing in "D" and drive?
The only time I use "D" is to warm up the car or in gridlock traffic .
I use manual for all other driving and can shift faster and more efficiently with the PDK due to its sophistication . It will not only shift quiker and factor out human shift error .. it even will thwart engine over rev . That alone is worth the PDK.

BTW --I also have a manual Turbo . I like both.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-03-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Anyway...drove a F430 for the first time last week..Love the paddles, heck when you floor that monster it's best to have both hands on the wheel..buy what works for you and drive!
What did you think of the F430 ? I have an opinion (as always) but was curious to hear your take .

Old 04-03-2010, 10:57 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by brendo
don't feel too bad. i miss drum brakes too. ABS is for sissies. traction control? silly. and what's with using anti freeze to cool an engine? heresy.

sometimes it's fun to have a clown in the room. that's the beauty of 7speedonline.com

And DFI - give me an ol' fashioned 4bbl and get rid of the PCM, the TPMS, the myriad of computers running the engine components - make it a real man's car. One that you can work on with a few wrenches and a hammer - a Havana Sports Car!

Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 PM
No, he is fine with everything and all the doodads I'm sure (just look at his sig). He just needs the stick. That, he can never give up along with a clutch pedal to occupy his lazy leg. You see, he thinks that that is the only choice of real drivers and real men. And on top of that he must claim that the other choice is a useless POS. You see, he needs to make sure that his choice is the only right one, otherwise he would be insecure in his own choice.

Last edited by adias; 04-03-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Hi all,

Seems like a total waste of a great sports car to outfit it with an automatic transmission with floppy paddle shifting.

Has nothing to do with the cost.

Be honest, how many actually just leave the thing in "D" and drive? I am sure the % is quite high.

A sports car needs to be a stick shift, anything else is just BORING! You want an automatic car, buy a 7 series BMW.

That's all I have to say on the matter. I am sure I will get flamed to death. Nothing will change my mind about a sports car needing to have the third pedal.

Its the way its supposed to be.

Nuff said,

Steve

PS: Yes, I have driven a PDK car and have used the floppy paddles. Guess what, its still an automatic and boring car. I cant be too wrong, the guys on "Top Gear" certainly agree with me.

The problem with these sorts of posts, and BTW, you are so late to the party all they got for you is a mop to clean up the beer we spilled months ago - the problem is it seems like there is some assumption that we who bought a PDK had no idea what we were doing and need to be schooled on our incredible folly.

And maybe that is true for some - probably the same issue for some who bought the 6spd. I come from 30 years of driving MTs. My last BMW (not 7 either - you are really coming from a weird place today) was SMG - on purpose - I liked it - NEVER drove it in auto. My 911 is PDK - blows the SMG away and it is stunning. The auto on it is so good, it is entertaining just to see how well it works. But M is what I think many enthusiasts will settle into.

I'll give you that it can shift automatically - if that's what you need to hear to feel...whatever it is you need to feel.

I get the whole 6spd thing - I think most of us do that hang out at this forum (I hope ), but ya know - variety is the spice of life - some of us are just curious, like new things, can afford monetarily (not the delta, but the price of early egress) and mentally to go for it. I always say, try anything once - if I don't like I won't do it again.

I wouldn't advise any hard core MT guy to go for PDK - probably wouldn't like it - even I miss my 6spd sometimes. But I would encourage anyone who is a "car" person to try it - if you like new technology and want to experience a state of the art transmission, then PDK can be quite thrilling and engaging and useful. After nearly a year, I am still excited every time I go for a drive.

OK, I'm an engineer nerd geek - whatever. Technology that works is exciting for me - the 6spd thing, cool, been there, done that - plenty.

Unlike what you may think, the driver has a lot of control over how PDK responds - it is not just set and forget it. And for twisty roads where both hands on the wheel is a good bet, you can't beat it.

Anyway, don't hit your dog, don't yell at your wife, just chillax and have a beer, a chocolate rabbit - go look at your lovely 911, stir the stick and unwind if it helps. Think about a great day for a drive tomorrow - 6spd or PDK - it's all good.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:36 PM
No, he is fine with everything and all the doodads I'm sure (just look at his sig). He just needs the stick. That, he can never give up along with a clutch pedal to occupy his lazy leg. You see, he thinks that that is the only choice of real drivers and real men. And on top of that he must claim that the other choice is a useless POS. You see, he needs to make sure that his choice is the only right one, otherwise he would be insecure in his own choice.

Hey now, that restless leg syndrome is nothing to joke about...or is it.

I sometimes have PCS - phantom clutch syndrome - a good bike ride usually helps calm it down.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't advise any hard core MT guy to go for PDK
I was a loyal MT guy. When the huge discounts were beginning I window shopped and when I saw my C2S white on terra I loved the way it looked but had some hesitation about the PDK. It wasn't that I negatively judged it .. it's that I loved the manual so much that I never imagined that PDK could be this good -- until I drove the car .

After 8 months I still love both . That's the biggest problem I face . When I drive my manual cars I miss the PDK and if I drive my PDK many days in a row I miss the manual.

I believe that most manual loyalists will drive the PDK and feel disconected
until they learn the car a bit. They will try the automatic modes and face adjusting to not having a clutch pedal and rowing . Hitting a paddle sets off such a rapid shift though and that is something that a manual can not compete with .

In a Turbo it's even more noticeable. There's no over rev. boost is retained on quicker shifting. less Hp (stock 997.2tt) can deliver acceleration similar to a stage 1 (maybe even stage 2) modded 997.1tt.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-05-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I was a loyal MT guy. ...

That's the biggest probkem I face . When I drive my manual cars I miss the PDK and if I drive my PDK many days in a row I miss the manual.

I believe that most manual loyalists will drive the PDK and feel disconned until they learn the car a bit. ...
Yes, you have big problems - we gotta break out the violins. You still have the M3 too, right? Imagine how I feel with I get a bout of PCS and RDD (Roundel Detachment Depression) at the same time - it's rough I tell ya.

I was pretty dedicated to MT too - so much so I had to teach my wife while we were dating 'cause she figured at some point she'd have to drive one of my cars and there was no way they were going to ever shift themselves. Who knew! The pigs have flown.

I think you are right though - SMG or PDK or DCT - they take some sorting out. It's not like some rental car auto that you just hit D and go. You have to want to get into it and make it work for you - that's the fun part. If it weren't fun, I'd have to bail on it for sure.

You have the ideal setup though - the best of all 3 worlds (well almost the best - if your BMW was an e39 M5, then you'd be car God).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Isnt PDK just another way of saying "automatic"?