997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

NavTraffic flow data? XM vs. Sirrius

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:12 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
NavTraffic flow data? XM vs. Sirrius

I just called xm to have my service updated or re-initialized in my 09' 997.2 with PCM 3.0 (updated)

The traffic alerts for my area (Hartford, CT) have remained constant for 6 months. It seems that Fairfield County CT, Metro NY and Boston all have flow data on the map in my car (green road indicating no traffic etc..) but all the roads in the rest of CT are simply red.

I have "show traffic info" selected on the navigation. And if I set a destination in NY or Boston, it will route me around traffic.

So is the problem that XM doesn't support flow data in my area? I've had 3 BMWs with real time traffic info. through sirrius and they all showed flow data in Hartford, CT??

I tried calling XM customer service, but they're all ex-Dell employees and my Hindu is as rusty as their english.

So can anyone comment on whether your XM navtraffic works well in central CT including traffic flow data (PCM 3.0 regardless of which model p-car). Or more to the point, has anyone experienced Sirrius with RTTI? How does it compare to XM navtraffic in PCM 3.0?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by drspeed; 04-13-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
[quote=drspeed;2802154

So can anyone comment on whether your XM navtraffic works well in central CT including traffic flow data (PCM 3.0 regardless of which model p-car). Or more to the point, has anyone experienced Sirrius with RTTI? How does it compare to XM navtraffic in PCM 3.0?

Thanks,
David[/quote]

I'd love to find out whats the data provider behind Sirrius RTTI (I'm not familiar with that service). SiriusXM is now one company, so they should be rationalizing their services. To wit, they should have one data source eventually driving the nav services they provide to XM or Sirius receivers.

For XM the data provider is navteq, and they can only be as good as the source data provider (the county, state, etc). I've seen time and time again (here in the Puget Sound region) that the county/state DOT website has updated and good flow information (yellow or red regions) when the navtraffic feed of navteq data shows green. Part of that may be the different thresholds for what is green, yellow,red. (I prefer the WA state system of gree is flowing at speed limit, then yellow is something below the speed limit... XM Navtraffic depicts what is locally yellow (ie congestion at or 5 mph below the posted limit, as still green.. but as we know, that means everyone would be driving 15 mph slower than open road, if doing 5mph below the posted limit)

Just this morning, XM navtraffic showed I-90 from Issaquah through Bellevue, WA as all green, and you get on the highway and its bumper to bumper 30-40mph crawl accross all 3 lanes heading west. Meanwhile the states website shows yellow,red, and black along that section (below Lake Sammamish at the right center part of the image : http://198.238.212.176/PugetSoundTra...32010_0800.GIF

From the technical side, there are issues with providing data services out via XML or whatever format is used for 3rd party providers to be able to get the data, process it and then feed it down by satellite to cars that display it, vs the data source themselves consuming and creating a display on their website. So I can expect some 'lag' but the amount of plain missing reports of significant traffic with XM Navtraffic have frustrated me enough to consider not renewing XM service for the coming year.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Kuhl997 has a spectacular aura aboutKuhl997 has a spectacular aura about
I have an aftermarket Kenwood system and I have the XM real-time nav. I live in California and I love the way it works. Hope you find a solution and good luck.