On Monday I am putting the Cobb tune on my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:44 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
On Monday I am putting the Cobb tune on my car

However, first, Cobb are going to do a baseline dyno with the current setup. Then we are going to replace the FVD wiring harness with the stock wiring harness and completely take the piggyback out of the equation, it will not be present in a pass through mode. The car will then be dyno'd with just the bolt ons and then Cobb will flash in their tune and make another run and from that some tuning tweaks will be made for the bolton configuration on my car and then we will have the final data for a custom Cobb tune for my bolton configuration which is IPD Plenum, FVD Headers and FVD sport exhaust with 200 cell HJS cats.

That is the plan, the dyno work is going to be done at Cobb and the service work to reroute the harness and prep the car will be done by ATXautosport who does all of my service work and who also installed the headers, plenum and FVD piggyback last year. We may end up doing this on Wednesday depending on some logistics regarding transporting the car across Austin with it's rear bumper cover removed. I am looking forward to seeing the results and I hope to be taking the car to a test and tune at SA dragway on Friday Oct 2 but if not then I will take it the next week. I also am scheduled to do another COTA track event on Nov. 1. So I will have both quarter mile results and track results to make comparisons with.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:47 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Congrats and you will love Cobb, they are the best units to use.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:47 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Pretty cool. I'm curious to see how the comparison comes out and how your car runs. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2015, 10:33 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
However, first, Cobb are going to do a baseline dyno with the current setup. Then we are going to replace the FVD wiring harness with the stock wiring harness and completely take the piggyback out of the equation, it will not be present in a pass through mode. The car will then be dyno'd with just the bolt ons and then Cobb will flash in their tune and make another run and from that some tuning tweaks will be made for the bolton configuration on my car and then we will have the final data for a custom Cobb tune for my bolton configuration which is IPD Plenum, FVD Headers and FVD sport exhaust with 200 cell HJS cats.

That is the plan, the dyno work is going to be done at Cobb and the service work to reroute the harness and prep the car will be done by ATXautosport who does all of my service work and who also installed the headers, plenum and FVD piggyback last year. We may end up doing this on Wednesday depending on some logistics regarding transporting the car across Austin with it's rear bumper cover removed. I am looking forward to seeing the results and I hope to be taking the car to a test and tune at SA dragway on Friday Oct 2 but if not then I will take it the next week. I also am scheduled to do another COTA track event on Nov. 1. So I will have both quarter mile results and track results to make comparisons with.
Really looking forward to seeing the comparison as to how these different tunes perform at the dragstrip.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
I would also suggest an independent (not done by Cobb) dyno run with our software.

Very interested to see the data log of both tunes. Will you be doing that independently?

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 09-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Looking forward to it getting done! Will be a good comparison!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 09-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
I would also suggest an independent (not done by Cobb) dyno run with our software.

Very interested to see the data log of both tunes. Will you be doing that independently?
Does your unit have the ability to datalog?

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

Old 09-25-2015, 11:42 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD

I have an OBD data logger and I didn't get to go Friday night to the dragstrip to do any data logging with it. I have data logging off the car from just driving around which may not tell me much.

I would have gotten a dyno test done a long time ago but there are no publicly available dynos in Austin that can do the 991tts because of the awd issue. Believe me, I have asked around repeatedly.

It now looks like we will be doing the tune on Wednesday instead of Monday. I can use my data logger to collect data during the baseline runs since the AP won't have to be hooked up or it could be used to datalog during those runs. I have the OBDlink MX for both wifi and bluetooth, will that get the most interesting data?

Last edited by wrs; 09-25-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Does your unit have the ability to datalog?

-Mitch
No, We have a long standing relationship with Duram@Durametric so we would use their tool or a PIWIS tester.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 09-25-2015, 10:33 PM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
In for the results, good stuff!

Old 09-29-2015, 02:29 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
I'll be watching this one as well...looking forward to the results!

Old 09-30-2015, 06:57 PM
wrs
Some really good numbers on my car

Well today was fun. Spent the afternoon at Cobb Tuning at 2311 Rundberg Ln just about 5 miles from my house watching them dyno and tune my car. ATXAutosport had my car transported from their facility in S. Austin this morning and Eric at Cobb made a baseline run before lunch with the FVD module installed and in sport plus. Jason from ATX came over after lunch and removed all the FVD module connections and reverted the car to it's OEM configuration except for my bolt ons and Eric made a dyno run with that configuration in normal and sport plus modes. Those are shown in the second picture I have attached which is just a picture of the screen in the dyno room. In that picture, green is boltons only in sport pluse, blue is with the module on in normal and red is boltons in sport plus. After that the fun started and they applied Cobb Stage 1 for 91 gas and ran it in normal and sport mode. Performance improved noticably from there and then they put Cobb Stage 2 on for 93 gas where performance improved again. After that they made several runs with Jon applying custom tweaks for my car and the final results shown are the comparison between the FVD module in sport plus, Cobb Stage 1 in sport plus and Jon's custom tune for my car in sport plus which produced 525whp and 651 ftlb of torque. In the first graph green is the custom tune, blue is Cobb Stage 1 and red is FVD module in sport plus.

I am planning to go to Marion on Friday evening for a test and tune so should get some good quarter mile numbers to compare as well. Given the massive increase in torque, I expect to get better 60ft times and zero to 60 times which should produce some sub 10.5s ETs. I will post some pics and video of the dyno work later.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pb_stg1_cust.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	576.7 KB
ID:	429461  
Attached Images  

Last edited by wrs; 09-30-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
William, it was a pleasure having you by today!

Car turned out well! I am looking forward to the results from Friday!

If you ever need anything we will be there for you!

-Jon

Old 09-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
That's really exciting William. Love the way you use your car. Excited to hear your results from the track. Keep that smile big and enjoy safely. Plus one for the Cobb team and their support. Nice work Jon

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 09-30-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:08 PM
wrs
Here are some pictures of the contributors to making this a successful tune. The first is Jason from ATXAutosport working on removal of the cam sensor with Eric from Cobb keeping it lit up so he could see better. The next couple are Eric strapping the car down and then the car in the bay ready to go. Finally I added a youtube of the last dyno run with the custom tune.

Attached Images    

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: On Monday I am putting the Cobb tune on my car