997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1 - Front Facelift to Gen2 DRL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:27 PM
997 Wide Ass is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 997.1 - Front Facelift to Gen2 DRL - Help/info needed (Newbie)

Can anyone help with information on the wiring modifications needed to Upgrade the Front lights to the new Gen 2 LED's. Is there a plug and play loom/control unit available. Has anyone successfully carried out the conversion with any plug and play parts ? If they exist, where can they be bought ? any information would be gratefully appreciated. (Newbie)

Last edited by 997 Wide Ass; 05-08-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: To hope to achieve a response
Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Oakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura about
Do a search for LED or DRL and you will find some useful information. The wiring is still somewhat of an enigma but people here have done it. In fact there are some aftermarket (?) loom that you can purchase. If I recall it was from some place in Germany. A link to it is available somewhere in these threads. As time goes on, I'm sure it will get figured out and will become a very straightforward mod.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks for that Stan.
I have managed to find a company that sells the control boxes in Germany and now have the the rears ( they are plug and play without any wiring mods). I am hoping to have them installed over the next few days.
What I am trying to find out now is if anyone has bought the Front control units and installed them without any wiring modifications and if they work OK without any faults or default lights etc. So if there's anyone out there with the info, please let me know!!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is on a distinguished road
RUF is offering something like that but it is PRICE PROHIBITIVE, in my mind. Oops--did I mess up by mentioning RUF?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Oakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura about
I've actually been trying to find an answer to the same question for a long time. My situation is slightly different in that my front end (bumper cover) was recently damaged. Instead of buying a replacement 997.1 cover I went ahead and bought a used Turbo front end, which has LED blinkers. I haven't had a chance to have it installed yet but I'm assuming the task of getting the blinkers working correctly is going to be tricky. I'm curious if I could just use resistors or a new blinker relay of some kind to get it working? Otherwise, I'm also curious as to whether these controllers many have spoke of will be the solution. Thoughts?

Old 05-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi Stan,

Was that a Gen1 or Gen 2 Turbo front end?

Old 05-15-2010, 01:39 PM
It's a Gen 1, 2008 model. I bought it mainly because I like the way the driving lights are on the Turbo, separate vs the integrated design of the 997 C2. The front end came with a couple of extras that are nice too; Techart LED DRLs and SpeedArt front lip. Luckily the the Techart DRLs come with it's own power module so nothing needs to be done there. I just need to get the LED blinkers figured out. Thoughts?

Old 05-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Alnoaimi is on a distinguished road
check with the guys at www.design911.com They had this done to a 997.1
http://www.design911.com/Design-Aero...4-08/prod2356/

Old 05-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Hi Stan,
I wanted to know because I had heard of a solution for the Turbo front upgrade from "speedart" Germany for the Gen 1.
They have a direct replacement for the LED's that are dual function (Led's and turn indicators). If you cant fathom it out, it may be worthwhile selling your techarts and replacing them with the speedart (I think these are Plug and Play) have a look at this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu5lxHhWFFk.

Alnoaimi is also correct - I have spoken a few times to design 911, they do all sorts of conversions including Turbo & Gen 2, and they also sell the parts - the only thing is I don't think they will give out wiring info, because they specialize in doing the conversions.

Good Luck.

P.s. If you are just gonna do a straight forward "Turbo" Facelift/replacement - I have a connection in the Uk who would probably be able to make up the neccessary loom/ components.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Alnoaimi and 997 WA thank you both so much!! This is REALLY helpful. I have sent an email to design911 to see if they have a premade wire kit but if they don't, I may need your help 997 WA in getting your guy in the UK to make one for me. This board is a great resource because of folks like you. Thanks,

Old 05-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Hi Stan,

I agree with you, this board is a great source of usefull info.
Dont be dissapointed if you dont get a response via email from design 911 (they have not answered my most recent). You may be better off phoning, thay are normally quite helpfull on the phone. They sell a front and rear control unit for Led upgrades. I found the same thing in Germany (and Cheaper), at this stage I only have the rears, (my lights & bumper should be arriving tommorow, I'll let you know how they work) then I am moving on to the front.
That's where I am not 100%, I too like the Turbo front end with the seperate fogs but don't know wether to go for the standard Gen 2 !!! (choices, choices)

All the Best

Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 PM
It turns out that design911 does not have a ready made loom for either the front or rear lights. They told me in their email that they are working on a rear wiring kit and they might make one for the front. Soooo, 997 Wide ***, is there any chance that I could get the contact info for the person you know in the UK who might be able to help me out? Thanks!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi Stan,

Sorry not got back to you sooner but i have been away for a few days.

Re: design911 - they do sell the wiring kits online for front and rear conversion. I sourced them from Germany (cheaper).

I have just finished the rear upgrade, and it couldn't have been easier. The rear control units are fantastic, just plug the loom of the car into it and the Led light into it (2 plugs) and it's done, 1 minute, simple & absolutely fantastic. I am going to do the front end next, but need to research if the front control unit/kit is just as simple and easy to use as the rear. If you need to have a loom made up for your turbo front end, let me know and I will make the necessary enquirys.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Ilias4s is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 997 Wide ***
Hi Stan,

Sorry not got back to you sooner but i have been away for a few days.

Re: design911 - they do sell the wiring kits online for front and rear conversion. I sourced them from Germany (cheaper).

I have just finished the rear upgrade, and it couldn't have been easier. The rear control units are fantastic, just plug the loom of the car into it and the Led light into it (2 plugs) and it's done, 1 minute, simple & absolutely fantastic. I am going to do the front end next, but need to research if the front control unit/kit is just as simple and easy to use as the rear. If you need to have a loom made up for your turbo front end, let me know and I will make the necessary enquirys.
What bumper have you put for the LED lights the original or something else what year is your model because i thing if it is 08 model you dont need control units.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 AM
The original Porsche Gen 2 rear bumper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 - Front Facelift to Gen2 DRL