997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 short shift installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 12:07 AM
raygr is on a distinguished road
997 short shift installed

I had the Porsche short shift kit installed on my 997S a few days ago. I thought some of you might appreciate a little feedback.

First, it doesn't feel all that short. I don't think it feels as short as the short shift on my 996TT. If I only drove a 997 with this short shifter, I might not even realize it was designed to be "short". I think it should come this way. I can imagine some people wanting it shorter.

It also is not as notchy or metal-solid feeling as the 996 short shifter. It still feels easy and light.

I have felt a little balking getting into 2nd, but nothing too bad.

Unlike the 996 SS, you don't have to destroy the old stock unit to install this shifter. So, you can keep the old part and put it back if you are inclined.

Given that this upgrade is about $1000 installed, I'm not sure if it is worth it. It is definitely an improvement, but kind of costly for not a huge difference.

-Ray

Old 01-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Raygr,

YOu have a fantastic bunch of cars there, wow. Can you give a comparison of them all? An overall review of the TT and 997S in particular.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:39 PM
911 flyn is on a distinguished road
That dosen't sound right , the stock 997 shifter is 15% shorter than the stock 996, and with the 997 SSK it should be 30% shorter than the stock 996?? 1K for the shifter and installation sounds way high. A board sponsor has the shifter for $438.00, and an install should be around $150-$200.

PS, you don't have to destroy the old 996 shifter when installing the porsche SSK. in the 996.

Last edited by 911 flyn; 01-20-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:21 PM
The part cost around $700-800 from the dealer and 2 hours labor to install. This is the actual Porsche unit, not an aftermarket one.

Also, I was comparing the 996 turbo with short shift to the 997 with short shift. The 997 unit does not feel as short, but I haven't done any measurements.

To install the 996 short shifter (on a turbo - it's different than the NA 996 shifter) they have to drill out or break a piece to get it out, according to the service people.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Ray,
The Porsche 997 SSK #997-424-983-00 is available from a board sponsor for $438.20. this is a factory part, not after market.

I thought the shifters on all 996 models were the same, I may be wrong, but I can't see why porsche would make two different shifters.

Good luck with your car (looking at your sig., it seems you have your hands full)

Roy

Old 01-20-2005, 09:58 PM
97S
97S is on a distinguished road
911 flyn

Who is the board sponsor that has the 997 OEM Sport Shifter for $438.20?

Send me a PM, if you prefer.

Old 01-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by 911 flyn
Ray,
The Porsche 997 SSK #997-424-983-00 is available from a board sponsor for $438.20. this is a factory part, not after market.

I thought the shifters on all 996 models were the same, I may be wrong, but I can't see why porsche would make two different shifters.

Good luck with your car (looking at your sig., it seems you have your hands full)

Roy
Roy,

I guess I paid too much!

I know that the 996 NA and the 996TT shifters are quite different in how long the throws are. I'm not certain the actual hardware under the shift **** is different.

The 997 unit is the whole assembly that includes the shift lever, and the housing that surrounds it. The 996 short-shifter was actually a few smaller separate pieces.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Raygr - I still would love to see a comparison from you of the TT and S...

Old 01-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Barrett is on a distinguished road
If the 996 Turbo short shifter is anything like the 996 C4S short shifter, then I can kind of see how the 997 short shifter isn't any shorter. I say that only because I think my 996 C4S short shifter is pretty darn short. I would be surprised if someone were to report that the 997 short shifter is much shorter. For what it's worth, my short shifter was installed at the factory, so when I took delivery of it, it was one of the options already installed.

Old 01-21-2005, 08:48 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
too bad Roy the 997 SSK install labor will be 561.80... but u know we can always work out a deal. maybe i'll take 10% off that!

Old 01-21-2005, 09:37 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Just DIY, save 500$, it's an easy install, at least on a 996.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by teutonictrio
Raygr - I still would love to see a comparison from you of the TT and S...
Here are a few points of difference:

The TT has more thrust (after a short lag) and it is easily chipped to produce a lot more. The pulling power on boost is much more than the (997) S.

The S likes to rev; it seems to rev up faster and pulls hard all the way to redline; higher than the TT. First gear is actually more fun in the S than the TT. You end up changing gears more often, which is kind of fun too.

The TT would be great on an autobann; you can be going 80 in 6th, floor it, and it just pulls and pulls more.

The S is noticably more rigid and solid feeling. Also the PASM calms the typical nose-bobbing of the 911. The S feels lighter (it is).

I really like the steering on the S better. The smaller wheel, plus the variable ratio makes it easier to drive around town, and you can control it better when driving in a "spirited fashion".

You can hang the tail out with the S - and it's virtually impossible with the TT, due to AWD.

The shifter on the S is lighter feeling than the TT (both with short-shift). The TT has a more metallic industrial feeling to the shifter.

I like the interior of the S better in most ways, except for the window switch placement, and the storage pocket is right in front of the shift lever. And I hate seeing the stop-watch - I wish I could delete it. The S interior feels a little smaller. The seats are better.

The OEM exhaust of the S sounds pretty good, but there is no low end rumble to it, which the TT has.

The clutch pedal pressure is lighter in the TT than the S, but the S clutch still feels acceptably easy.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Banned for Eternity
Great review, thanks. The 997 is 'better than' the TT in more ways than I imagined. I haven't driven one yet, and am looking forward to comparing it with the TT which was just amazing in speed. First gear is the most fun to me, so if the S is more fun in first, I might go that route rather than go with a used TT.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:04 AM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by teutonictrio
First gear is the most fun to me, so if the S is more fun in first, I might go that route rather than go with a used TT.
The problem with first gear with the Turbo is that it hits the rev limiter about the same time your foot hits WOT on the gas pedal , it seems . So you don't have much time for any "sensation" of forward movement since you are preoccupied with shifting.
For me, 4th gear is where the fun is and is the gear that separates the Turbo from most other sports cars in this range - running to red line here feels like running second gear in some cars , but the speed is doubled .

Last edited by MKW; 01-22-2005 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Arling,

Screw you, I'll do it myself, ,I watched Tom do my 996.

Roy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 short shift installed