997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How do you work your clutch for fast getaway? 6 speed manual only

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
A 911 is all about traction and smooth driving. Jack rabbit starts may not apply. However, one can have a fast launch by just releasing the clutch and accelerating in a fast coordinated way - squeezing the throttle as the clutch engages. No drama, just great traction and fast results (no clutch dumping).

Last edited by adias; 05-14-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:51 PM
iliasgk74 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
in my c4s_06 i rev in 7000 and drop the clutch as fast as i can.My best is 4,5sec for the first 100km/h.I have done it many times and still no problem!!if you want i have a video from outside the car...

Old 05-14-2010, 05:12 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iliasgk74
in my c4s_06 i rev in 7000 and drop the clutch as fast as i can.My best is 4,5sec for the first 100km/h.I have done it many times and still no problem!!if you want i have a video from outside the car...
Do it a few more times and that clutch will be no more. Semi axles, bushings and gears will suffer too. But hey... It's your car.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Jungwook is on a distinguished road
Yeah I thought as much.... Tell the truth my 2007 c2s smelled burning clutch too often. Maybe that's why I'm being softer on the 2009 c4s. But the c4s feels awfully heavier than the rwd for sure.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
Talking Quick Launch of C2s......

Car and Dirver magazine (you guys are into cars and don't read C/D?????) spoke on this sometime back. Their best launch of a C2S manual was accomplished by:

deactivate the stability control (PSM)

Run the engine to 5,500 RPM

Release the clutch very near it's engagement point while simultaneously
flooring the throttle.

split second of wheelspin and three or 4 shuddering wheel hops from the axle tramp

be ready to shift into second at 6,500 rpm because it revs so fast it
may hit the limiter at 7,400

shift into second gear and record a sub 4 second et.

They also remarked that they have done this several times with a c2s "with no apparent effect", but then they don't have to pay for a new clutch, either.

Still-- sub 4 seconds et to 60 MPH. Awesome. I might have to do it once in my life. I have hit the limiter though on several occasions......

Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
if you need sub 5 second 0-60 then you've got to rev 3000+ rpms and let out, if not dump, the clutch quickly.

Important thing for a great launch is the shift to 2nd since 1st is over before it starts. Clutch 1/2 way in on the 1-2 upshift then shift out of second @6200.

DRP

Old 05-15-2010, 01:53 PM
iliasgk74 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by adias
Do it a few more times and that clutch will be no more. Semi axles, bushings and gears will suffer too. But hey... It's your car.
my friend this was the answer how to make best 0-100 of this topic.

As for me,i bought this sport car to feel the acceleration of 0-100 and not to read it in magazine,also to feel 300km/h ,to feel a "porsche "in corners eth.Otherwise i would bought an automatic Mercedes!
I love my car and i took care of it every day,i dont push it until oil temp is over 90oC ,i make changes of oil every 15oookm and not 30000km,i use only 100oct gas eth.I want when i'll give it for another one to know 90% of his capabilities.Thats my opinion.

As for best 0-100 and if you want to see best 0-400 all shift changes has to be done over 7000revs.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 PM
David4315 is on a distinguished road
Yikes

Have tried repeatedly to wildly break loose my C4S. Even after the full AWE exhaust I can barely churp the tires before I'm doing 60. Great car - love to know what the turbo guys can do.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 AM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
why would the awe make a difference? turn PSM off - that should help

Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Alnoaimi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by norton
Car and Dirver magazine (you guys are into cars and don't read C/D?????) spoke on this sometime back. Their best launch of a C2S manual was accomplished by:

deactivate the stability control (PSM)

Run the engine to 5,500 RPM

Release the clutch very near it's engagement point while simultaneously
flooring the throttle.

split second of wheelspin and three or 4 shuddering wheel hops from the axle tramp

be ready to shift into second at 6,500 rpm because it revs so fast it
may hit the limiter at 7,400

shift into second gear and record a sub 4 second et.

They also remarked that they have done this several times with a c2s "with no apparent effect", but then they don't have to pay for a new clutch, either.

Still-- sub 4 seconds et to 60 MPH. Awesome. I might have to do it once in my life. I have hit the limiter though on several occasions......

+1
see attached file, its from an iphone app

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM
tri
tri is on a distinguished road
This is going to be hard to describe but here's how I do it:

In my C2S I blip the throttle to about 4500rpm (not hold it there, but just rev it up there and let it drop), then I engage the clutch smoothly but quickly (instead of dumping it) while still keeping partial throttle. As soon as I feel traction is 100%, I floor it. In my experience, this provides for a smoother take off without losing too much traction compared to peeling out by dumping the clutch. You also don't get the initial bog that's caused by wide open throttle at a low RPM. Yeah you may lose a few tenths of a second, but you're also not abusing your car.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:27 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jungwook
Please 6 speed only - I've read the manual and know how to set to sports+ mode in PDK models :-)

We all think we are "experts" but any advice from the real experts here?
no need to burn your clutch - safe fast way is exactly as described before - blip throttle to get revs in area of 3K, then while at that mark release clutch and simultaneously give full throttle when you feel you passed via clutch engagement point. you may feel a car jerk a bit if it`s done wrong and you dropped clutch too harsh.

most extreme start at dropping clutch at 5K+ rpm will make car 'kangaroo' as rear axle will be hopping - that stuff is useful only if you are on hoosiers and you need quickly get them into operational temperature but naturally it hurts your car quite a bit.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pcs
With my C4S, I am very concerned about putting excessive loads on the driveline from a standing start, due to the all wheel traction. With my Mustang, I could drop the clutch, light up the rear tires, and drive away. With the Porsche I launch relatively softly, then floor it as soon as I'm rolling - maybe being cautious, but it make's me feel better. I think a RWD could be launched a bit harder.
I agree especially if you have 2wd the rear wheels will hop if you drop the clutch.Let It out smooth but fast once its engaged floor it.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:51 PM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Alnoaimi
+1
see attached file, its from an iphone app
what mods are you running? 12.25 in the 1/4 and that trap speed is realy fast even for a c2s.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:10 PM
ghillie is on a distinguished road
All this angsting over how to launch a car (any car) with a manual transmission is just silly. It comes down to one thing...PRACTICE.

If you dont get out and practice you are never going to be happy with how your 911 (or any other car you may drive) launches. Will you burn up a clutch? Maybe or maybe not. It all depends on how important it is to you to learn how to really launch your car.

60 ft. reaction times are a great indicator of how well one launches their car. If you dont believe me go spend some time at your local (or nearest) drag strip and watch the number of guys who manage some ridiculous times in their cars both 60ft and 1/4 mile.

If you practice consistently there will be a point to where you can actually feel when the car is about to experience wheel hop or spin. Its at that point that you will learn to modulate the clutch and gas to manage a superb launch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you work your clutch for fast getaway? 6 speed manual only