997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Euro aspherical driver' mirror installed (and comparison to stock)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
So I read 'towards the car' as being opposite than 'away from the door'.

Towards the car has the gap between the mirror and the mirror housing appearing at the outside edge (away from the car body).

Away from the door has the gap between mirror and mirror housing appearing at the inside edge (where mirror housing meets door/window).

That difference may be important depending on how the part snaps in.

Is that the case?

Old 11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
So I read 'towards the car' as being opposite than 'away from the door'.

Towards the car has the gap between the mirror and the mirror housing appearing at the outside edge (away from the car body).

Away from the door has the gap between mirror and mirror housing appearing at the inside edge (where mirror housing meets door/window).

That difference may be important depending on how the part snaps in.

Is that the case?
A picture is better than words. See the MA Carbon link in post #2 here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...c-mirrors.html

Just the picture showing the mirror position.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 PM
wwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of light
I could not get the mirrors to release in that position. I ended up rotating them to look down as well and worked from the top near the mounting point. They popped out then without breaking. Worked for both my 997.2 and my 958 Cayenne.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wwilliams88
I could not get the mirrors to release in that position. I ended up rotating them to look down as well and worked from the top near the mounting point. They popped out then without breaking. Worked for both my 997.2 and my 958 Cayenne.
Whatever works for you. I've done it on 2 different 997s using the picture I linked with no problems - just have to be careful and patient when removing.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:56 AM
wwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of light
Foir what it is worth, here is another page illustrating the improved viewing angle and the installation procedure.

http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/boxster/mirrors.html

This one was published in 1998, but doesn't look like things have changed much

Last edited by wwilliams88; 11-06-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Wow - I would like those mirrors but do not want to pay $1K so I do not lose the heat/tint function.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Whatever works for you. I've done it on 2 different 997s using the picture I linked with no problems - just have to be careful and patient when removing.
Agreed, but "careful and patient" are too vague to be useful for instructions where you have to basically pop off a part.

When popping something off, you pull or pry it from the proper side and at a steady force, increasing slowly until it pops. So other than just not jerking it wildly, what else could you do in terms of "careful and patient".

Old 11-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Minok
Agreed, but "careful and patient" are too vague to be useful for instructions where you have to basically pop off a part.

When popping something off, you pull or pry it from the proper side and at a steady force, increasing slowly until it pops. So other than just not jerking it wildly, what else could you do in terms of "careful and patient".
Exactly what you said...nice steady pressure so you don't flex the glass. If your fingers won't fit in the space to get a good grip, use one of the plastic pry tools shown in the DIY link starting with it near one of the attach points. I was worried both times I did this but the mirrors came off with no problems. I imagine the guys who do this for a living just reach in and "pop" them out without a second thought...but they probably "pop" a lot of parts off during their work. The times I've "broken" things always occurred when I was rushing hence my use of the word patient.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Diamond Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
With what I learned from the SAE recommendations to adjust mirrors properly, would it hurt to get the Aspherical Mirrors in addition? Is it overkill? Any down side?

Also, would you still adjust your mirrors the same way with the SAE method of adjusting mirrors if you use aspherical?