997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How does one start the track ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by doug2255
jjc4scab (Larry) - I have DE'd my previous Pcars before, but this is my 1st convertible - as far as I know a roll bar is required.

What kind of bar do you use?
Doug,
Havent been on the track since 993 TT. Other financial commitments has sided this hobby. I will tell u a good friend of mine and I r thinking of goin in on a track car, as so we can do these events!

Jim

Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Jim, the track car will get driven more then your Cab, you should rip around that track in that one a few times a year.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I realize there needs to be instruction and my guess is that insurance has some bearing in this discussion .
What are the steps you took to get your car in the track ?
How much time did it take ?
How much cost?
Did you like yoir 997S on the track?
This Gt3RS thing just isn't going away so easily.
I want to hear yoir exact steps .. the pros the cons .
I do not believe that EVERYTHING about the track is "wonderful" . So I want to hear the flip side of it too.
I am sure there are other non track guys wondering if it's really worth it and if so .. what were your steps .
Thanks in advance.
You've gotten a lot of very excellent advice here.
My comments are from an Instructor's perspective.
Driving at speed on the track requires skills that have to be learned, so
enter the event with an open mind and knowing that there is a lot to learn.
HPDE's emphasize safety so if you follow the teachings in the classroom and listen to your Instructor you will not only learn a lot but you'll also have as much fun as you can with your clothes on.
Mr. B.
SCCA National racer
PCA Instructor

Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 AM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Another junkie in the making.... you watch!

I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who doesn't love the track after going once.

You sound like my neighbour. He has a cherry 993 C4S that he loves to pieces. When he tracks it he has a blast but never ever pushes it and is very conservative. My point is that your personality will dictate your level of risk at the track. Risk takers and thrill seekers will progress faster and therefore move into faster run groups in less time. Many conservative drivers such as my friend with the 993 will always be more than happy in the white group enjoying their cars and their time with like minded gear heads.

If for no other reason, the social aspect of the track and clubs will be enjoyable.

As for prep, everybody has covered all the bases. ENJOY! :P

Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM
zanwar will become famous soon enoughzanwar will become famous soon enough
One thing no one appears to have mentioned. If you're uncomfortable with your instructor, exit the track and ask for a different instructor. It's your $100k car that's at risk, not theirs.

I've been out with one instructor who was a lot of fun, but didn't teach me a whole lot. Another insisted that he should be allowed to drive my car to show me the proper line, then he grabbed at the wheel while I was driving.

The best instructors have taught me more in one session than I've managed to learn in a month of solo track days. They've done it a calm, supportive and knowledgeable manner. Look for these guys.

Take your PDK Carrera, you'll fly.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by zanwar
One thing no one appears to have mentioned. If you're uncomfortable with your instructor, exit the track and ask for a different instructor. It's your $100k car that's at risk, not theirs.
I've been out with one instructor who was a lot of fun, but didn't teach me a whole lot. Another insisted that he should be allowed to drive my car to show me the proper line, then he grabbed at the wheel while I was driving.
The best instructors have taught me more in one session than I've managed to learn in a month of solo track days. They've done it a calm, supportive and knowledgeable manner. Look for these guys.
Take your PDK Carrera, you'll fly.
No two Instructors are alike, and some are less experienced than others.
Your fellow students should be able to point you towards the better Instructors.
Mr. B

Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 AM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Along that line - your instructor (and you) should be aware of your goals and desires - some people are simply interested in driving fairly quickly on the track, others want to push the limits of themselves and their car. I tend to be very competitive, and was lucky enough to be matched up with an instructor who is the same. It was a great experiance for me, but a less aggressive driver may have been very uncomfortable with him. It is very important to know yourself...

Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by pcs
Along that line - your instructor (and you) should be aware of your goals and desires - some people are simply interested in driving fairly quickly on the track, others want to push the limits of themselves and their car. I tend to be very competitive, and was lucky enough to be matched up with an instructor who is the same. It was a great experiance for me, but a less aggressive driver may have been very uncomfortable with him. It is very important to know yourself...

Excellent point!

Also, you should know that you can divide Instructors into 2 groups: Those who just instruct at HPDE's and those who instruct and race. The ones who race are the best ones for the student who wants to push the limits.
Just my $.02.
Mr. B

Old 06-23-2010, 01:26 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Larry, there should be a PCA event @ Homestead next month

Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
I didn't see anyone suggest this (excuse me if I missed it)
but the Porsche Driving School in Birmingham really sets you up to start tracking with a 911. You can request a PDK. It really is first class and gives you a lot of confidence to attend a Track Day.
Well worth the money. (Did it twice)
the link is http://www.porschedriving.com/Freque...Questions.aspx

Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Jim, the track car will get driven more then your Cab, you should rip around that track in that one a few times a year.

Armco makes me stressed out! LOL

Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 PM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mr. B
Excellent point!

Also, you should know that you can divide Instructors into 2 groups: Those who just instruct at HPDE's and those who instruct and race. The ones who race are the best ones for the student who wants to push the limits.
Just my $.02.
Mr. B

Very true, that - my instructor regularly gets TTOD at the local PCA time trials - driving a 944 Turbo, yet.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:45 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
I realize there needs to be instruction and my guess is that insurance has some bearing in this discussion .

What are the steps you took to get your car in the track ?
How much time did it take ?
How much cost?
Did you like yoir 997S on the track?

This Gt3RS thing just isn't going away so easily.
I want to hear yoir exact steps .. the pros the cons .

I do not believe that EVERYTHING about the track is "wonderful" . So I want to hear the flip side of it too.

I am sure there are other non track guys wondering if it's really worth it and if so .. what were your steps .

Thanks in advance.
Now, I have read responses, so hopefully my input will add up and not repeat to much of the same.

What you want to do is called DE - driver edication. I assume you are a PCA member.
you are zone 12.
find you local organization link here:
http://www.pca.org/Regions/RegionDirectory.aspx?Zone=12

find similar pages and read em all:
http://www.goldcoastregion.org/Events/DriversEd.aspx
from that link print out tech inspection form - you can get it done at any tech station listed on same link or at any reputable race shop.

now, what matters from practical perspective - it is highly recommended to establish good relationship with well known mechanic in your area who is well known in community and work on cup cars for club racers. you will need somebody who can tune your suspension and do your alignment (do it first thing as it was discussed here many times - -1 degree max front camber front, -1.5 degree rear) , corner balancing, etc - and same person will do your tech forms for DE.

next thing - do not take your modded turbo on track first season. you may easily crash it there. take your PDK NA C2S. then, if you care of exterior condition - not sure if you have clear bra but still do a lot of blue tape on its front - front bumper, lower hood, etc. you will not need pagid yellows brake pads in the beginning, but here we come back to point of having good reliable mechanic who will tell you what to do and will help to prepare your car for DE.

costs - when you`ll get to it seriously everything will start adding up. set of pagid yellows - $500 or so. new rotors - look at suncoast. new tires 2 times a season (unless you do not drive a lot and will go on single set whole season). if you go to different tracks - lodging, transportation.

Last edited by utkinpol; 06-23-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Ok --lots of replies and lots of things . I will try and go through some thoughts and separate them . comments and questions .

1) Went today to inquire more about the Rs or a regular Gt3 . Just to see . Interestingly while the saleman was appraising my car he came back with this huge smile and said "Larry -your car is amazing. That FVD exhaust and FVD software combined with the coil overs are a huge difference from the stock PDK cars I've been driving" . He was blown away and scratched his head on the base Gt3 in contrast (Remember the FVD system is a complete unit including cats).

I believe I am spoiled by the huge Hp in the EVT700 . Every car feels slow compared to it . Even when I view the track videos .. I see the preciseness of cornering and such but i don't see the speed .

2) I have been driving these cars for 15+ years and even without training I'd like to see what my "noobie" skills are. Can I enter something like this as a novice and see ? I can accept if I do poorly but what if i don't do so badly ? I would like to see where sqaure 1 is for me.
https://redlinetimeattack.com/ti/rl/.../20100814.html

3. One thing I have noticed is that there are some guys either here or at the dealerships who once upon a time did a lot of these driving events and stopped. So I asked why -- many of the replies range from "I work too many hours" . " My wife had a baby" , "It got too expensive" . "I love it but it's a lot of effort to keep it going" .
Does this sound like the next step after the novelty of track driving erodes .. or is the level to really get into it and if so would that mean competing .. and if so why don't some of you guys compete ?

4) Since my passion is all out speed --Do you think the Turbo in a 1 mile track event or drag race is the better race for me? For instance --in sports I used to compete and would always pick my strong events . I would watch my weak events in amusement and respect but I already knew I would lose so why even enter ?

If the 1 mile event really is my race .. should I run the Turbo .. in something like Texas Mile or Miami Mile ?

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-23-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:40 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
4) Since my passion is all out speed --Do you think the Turbo in a 1 mile track event or drag race is the better race for me? ...
You answered your own question. GT3 RS and tracking is not all-out speed at all. You seem to be a Turbo guy, and 1-mile events may be what you need.

I care less for all out speed. I care for twisty, high-g canyon roads, with significant elevation changes - even most tracks do not have that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How does one start the track ?