997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How does one start the track ?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
How does one start the track ?

I realize there needs to be instruction and my guess is that insurance has some bearing in this discussion .

What are the steps you took to get your car in the track ?
How much time did it take ?
How much cost?
Did you like yoir 997S on the track?

This Gt3RS thing just isn't going away so easily.
I want to hear yoir exact steps .. the pros the cons .

I do not believe that EVERYTHING about the track is "wonderful" . So I want to hear the flip side of it too.

I am sure there are other non track guys wondering if it's really worth it and if so .. what were your steps .

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:43 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
There is not much you need to do to prepare for the track...

1- You first need to enroll in an organizations event, they will probably ask for a tech inspection done by an individual shop or a dealership. You take care of that before you go to the tracks.

2- It is optional, but switching to more aggressive pads may help if you are planning to track your car more than 2-3 times a year.

3- Buy a tire pressure gauge and deflate your tires a bit before going on the track (preferably do it when you arrive)

4- Keep your ego out of the equation, no body is born an F1 racer! Try to learn first. Learn how to handle the car, how the car reacts under braking, how the weight shifts, where you need to brake, the correct racing line, heel & toe. Learn to be smooth, you will build up speed in time.

PS: I would suggest getting the full front of the car clear bra'd for protection purposes (rubber ***** hitting the front bumper, fenders, hood)

Hope this helps...

Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Become a PCA member and enroll in DE sessions with your local PCA chapter.

Beyond that you can also take a couple of PSDS courses.

Yes, tracking can add up financially, in fees and wear-and-tear. Track insurance is important.

I do know people who have learned the ropes via PSDS and track their completely stock car on a regular base. They have fun and strictly compete with themselves with their road car. That is a lot of fun and the least expensive path.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:03 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
The first time I went to the track the cost was only the entry fee which was $186 for two days of racing including a one day STS event with an instructor and an instructor on race day.

Step 1: Get the PCA or POC website and find a track event in your area you want to go to. I recommend going to an STS event first.

Step 2: If you dont want to rent a helmet, buy a helmet based on the specs provided by PCA and POC. I would say the average helmet is around $400 with $800 getting you a real nice one.

Step 3: If you know a good Porsche shop in your area, get a tech inspection. Your Porsche dealer may even do them.

Step 4: Show up at track day wearing pants, long sleeve shirt, and a smile.

There are many bone stock Porsche's at POC and PCA events. Once you get hooked you can pick up a rule book that will explain what modifications allow to be in which class. For example, a GT3 or GT3RS automatically puts you in a high class. But, your modded 997S with PDK would as well. If your 997S was stock then it might actually fall into a lower class. My 997S with exhaust and suspension fell in the same class as TT's and GT3's but there were modded Boxter's, Cayman's... actually you name it, running in my class. Keep in mind that the experienced drivers driving "slower cars" will probably be in the higher groups/faster session. There were guys in NA 944's getting better lap times than me. Points are all based on lap times but its hard to get good lap times when you are stuck behind slower cars or slower drivers so each lap session is divided by not only car class but driver experience.

With POC each track event with an instructor provides the opportunity for you to earn signatures for your short/long track license. I believe you need three events total if memory serves. There is no obligation to go for your license but it will give you the opportunity to do the events solo (without an instructor). Also, once you are signed off you can do time trials.

Time trials are different in that the rules require you to have a roll bar, harness, and suit. At this point if you are using harness you would probably want to use some sort of HANS device as well. And while we are going this far, it wont take long for you to realize you probably want some kind of sport seat if you dont have one. GT2 style seats or OE GT3 style seats are my fav but many guys run Sparco and Recaro style seats. Time trials range from spec boxsters to cup cars and beyond.

Things to bring with you: Water, food, tire pressure guage, one of those small electric compressors, extra quart of oil, masking tape for your number, a few rags and a good attitude.

I would also recommend a clear bra of some kind. Tire ***** are common on the track as well and leave small black smudges all over your car. I found that most liquid waxes remove the tire smudges easily. However, I have also heard that bug remover takes them off with little effort. I am sure there are all kinds of tricks. I would also get someone on this site that is in your area and tracks. Go with them to the track since its great to be with someone that has been there and done that. I went with Mobonic and Gomez who are both track fiends.

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 06-22-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
+1 on the PCA days, they are a great place to start.

I love my C2S on the track, as I made a number of mods to improve the experience on the track. Starting out with a stock car is best, it gives you more feedback before your start to reach the limits of you or your car.

Come with a clear head, and listen to what your instructor is telling you, and have fun.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
+1 on the PCA days, they are a great place to start.

I love my C2S on the track, as I made a number of mods to improve the experience on the track. Starting out with a stock car is best, it gives you more feedback before your start to reach the limits of you or your car.

Come with a clear head, and listen to what your instructor is telling you, and have fun.
I guess I should use my PDK car . It's not stock but it's not like the Turbo. In fact .. even though it's fast in contrast to the Turbo it's very slow.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:17 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I guess I should use my PDK car . It's not stock but it's not like the Turbo. In fact .. even though it's fast in contrast to the Turbo it's very slow.
Yeah no no no on the TT. I have only ever met one guy that tried the track thing and hated it and that is because his only Pcar was a 993 RUF CTR that was just too much car for him (for any novice). Apparently he spent all the sessions spinning out of corners. Plus, it was probably a little humbling realizing how fast a 1999 Porsche Boxter can be in the hands of an experienced driver.

Jason

Old 06-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Ok --so I started looking at PCA and Florida . Most of them are like 3 -5 Hrs away .
It must be nice to wake up and have a PCA track in the neigborhood. Miami has Homestead but it's not listed as one of the choices .. or is it?

My question is .. do you guys go for an entire weekend ? That falls in line with how much time is needed ?
Some of you talked about cost. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 PM
My nearest track is Willow Springs and that is still a 2 to 4hr drive and that is if LA traffic is light (yeah right). And, yes, I stayed the whole weekend.

Jason

Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 PM
One other question --

Before you ever went on the track .. what was your basic driving background? Does it even help?
For instance .. did you grow up in a rural area with country open roads or a city where congestion and unpredictable drivers are everywhere .

I began my driving originally as a commuter into New York City .
I thought that was one heck of a basic training but South Florida is an entirely different driving dynamic . Roads are smoother and less congested but since the driving community is diverse (where driving rules differ in other countries and in some cases the driver had no licence until he was an adult so his driving experience is like an 18 year old in a 40 year old person with slower reflexes) -- the average drivers are quite unpredictable .

Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 PM
I started drag racing when I was 16. My first car was a GM J-Body (think Sunfire/Cavalier) with every bolt on and a 75 shot of nitrous. My buddies and I in high school went hook line and sinker for the growing import movement. My best friend in high school is actually a pro driver for D1 now. Funny because he used approach my parents driveway sidways in his 2nd gen DSM when we were seniors. I went from that car to an M3 that I also drag raced and started Auto Crossing. The red beast is the first and only car I have ever tracked.

I grew up in Michigan in a relatively small town. Since then I have spent time in the DC area, Florida, Texas, Arkansas, and now SoCal. In the lap sessions you are going to start in, you are not going to have to worry about the other drivers... for the most part.

Jason

Old 06-22-2010, 11:53 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Larry, PCA Goldcoast is you local PCA club. They do run Homestead and also PBIR (W. Palm). Also Sebring is not really that hard to get to or far and that is a fun and famous track.

Others have outlined how to get into this...or....at least try it once.

Yes take the PDK car and put it in auto mode Sport and just learn the driving line and all the basics. You will have an absolute BLAST! I promise!

Larry, next time I am at Sebring or Homestead I invite you out to the track as my guest and I will take you in my car for some laps so you can get a taste of the track. I will be back at the track in 2 months.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Wow --sounds great guys . Thanks Mdrums .

Old 06-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Ok --so I started looking at PCA and Florida . Most of them are like 3 -5 Hrs away .
It must be nice to wake up and have a PCA track in the neigborhood. Miami has Homestead but it's not listed as one of the choices .. or is it?

My question is .. do you guys go for an entire weekend ? That falls in line with how much time is needed ?
Some of you talked about cost. Thanks.
Here is a great site that compiles almost all of the South FL Drivers Ed opportunities into 1 site.. http://www.trackweekend.com. Its my opinion that www.Chinmotorsports.com is 1 of the most organized and best bang for the buck.. I have been running with them since novice and they have quickly helped me Graduate up to Intermediate with good in car instruction..

We have 3 tracks within a reasonable range.. Homestead, PBIR, Sebring.. Out of all 3 most will agree Sebring is better then the other 2 put together.. Its a huge 3.7m track with plenty of variables.. I could run Sebring Every weekend and never be bored..

I will also give you my personal advice.. if your a novice which we see you are and i was too not long ago.. DONT buy a gt3.. trust me.. I did it.. Its TOO MUCH car for a novice.. You will not learn the fundamentals of driving fast because you will have a crutch with Big HP..

Its VERY VERY humbling when a spec Miata with 170hp is riding your *** in a Gt3 and you cannot shake him..

If you need any advice PM me.. Ill be glad to get you in the right direction since we are local.. We caravan up with groups and have friends who are PCA instructors who can sit passenger and help you without charging a buck.. We all love the sport and its about having fun.. You will never be the fastest and in most cases not even the 10th fastest at any given day on track.. No matter what you drive..

Mike

Old 06-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JEllis
I started drag racing when I was 16. My first car was a GM J-Body (think Sunfire/Cavalier) with every bolt on and a 75 shot of nitrous. My buddies and I in high school went hook line and sinker for the growing import movement. My best friend in high school is actually a pro driver for D1 now. Funny because he used approach my parents driveway sidways in his 2nd gen DSM when we were seniors. I went from that car to an M3 that I also drag raced and started Auto Crossing. The red beast is the first and only car I have ever tracked.

I grew up in Michigan in a relatively small town. Since then I have spent time in the DC area, Florida, Texas, Arkansas, and now SoCal. In the lap sessions you are going to start in, you are not going to have to worry about the other drivers... for the most part.

Jason
Many of us grew up the same in the simple sport of drag racing.. I really wish I was introduced to the Road stuff 10 years ago.. I have 0 interest in driving my drag cars now..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How does one start the track ?