997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How does one start the track ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Many of us grew up the same in the simple sport of drag racing.. I really wish I was introduced to the Road stuff 10 years ago.. I have 0 interest in driving my drag cars now..
Yeah, however, the Friday night test n tune nights at my local track were a great way to have a good time with some fellow car geeks. I don't think I will ever go back to the drag strip but it was great fun at the time.

Jason

Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JEllis
I started drag racing when I was 16. My first car was a GM J-Body (think Sunfire/Cavalier) with every bolt on and a 75 shot of nitrous. My buddies and I in high school went hook line and sinker for the growing import movement. My best friend in high school is actually a pro driver for D1 now. Funny because he used approach my parents driveway sidways in his 2nd gen DSM when we were seniors. I went from that car to an M3 that I also drag raced and started Auto Crossing. The red beast is the first and only car I have ever tracked.

I grew up in Michigan in a relatively small town. Since then I have spent time in the DC area, Florida, Texas, Arkansas, and now SoCal. In the lap sessions you are going to start in, you are not going to have to worry about the other drivers... for the most part.

Jason
I think most Porsche drivers have some desire for a fast car . In contrast with the "point A to point B" driver who doesn't care about cars .. there's something different in the person that draws him to there cars.
With age and maturity .. going fast on the street makes no sense but to go to the track involves a certain level of commitment .

I think a lot of drivers have it in them but never consider the track .
The time, expense, rules, preparation , training price out a lot of drivers .

I didn't buy the RS and it bothered me enough to say I'd like to see what it's like to be on an open track .

I read a lot of positive aspects on thse boards but I also imagine , cars break down, they crash too , and one can get injured . I understand that a person can get hurt on the street when driving but he's usually driving with a goal (like to get food , or go to work) . On the track . minis any form of competition .. it seems like the only goal is to have the thrill of long term high speed in an envirnment suited for it.

Am I missing something?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:09 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute

Its VERY VERY humbling when a spec Miata with 170hp is riding your *** in a Gt3 and you cannot shake him..

Mike

+1 Word!

Jason

Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I think most Porsche drivers have some desire for a fast car . In contrast with the "point A to point B" driver who doesn't care about cars .. there's something different in the person that draws him to there cars.
With age and maturity .. going fast on the street makes no sense but to go to the track involves a certain level of commitment .

I didn't buy the RS and it bothered me enough to say I'd like to see what it's like to be on an open track .

I read a lot of positive aspects on thse boards but I also imagine , cars break down, they crash too , and one can get injured . I understand that a person can get hurt on the street when driving but he's usually driving with a goal (like to get food , or go to work) . On the track . minis any form of competition .. it seems like the only goal is to have the thrill of long term high speed in an envirnment suited for it.

Am I missing something?

If you drive the car at 80% of your cars limit you will have now worries of crashing etc.. Like they say at every event.. Your car is your trophy.. The loser is he who leaves on the flat bed.. You need to really experience it in ANY porsche you own and then decide which car you want to setup for weekend driving at the track..

I find i drive 10x safer on the street after being involved in track events.. Not because of experience but because of the reality that you CANNOT drive your car to 10% of your ability on the streets anyway compared to what you can push it to at the track safely.. My Gt3 quickly became a VERY BORING street car because there is no where in South FL to drive the car safely at speed.. Im not talking ripping on the highways we have, i mean cornering etc..

Mike

Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Here is a great site that compiles almost all of the South FL Drivers Ed opportunities into 1 site.. http://www.trackweekend.com. Its my opinion that www.Chinmotorsports.com is 1 of the most organized and best bang for the buck.. I have been running with them since novice and they have quickly helped me Graduate up to Intermediate with good in car instruction..

We have 3 tracks within a reasonable range.. Homestead, PBIR, Sebring.. Out of all 3 most will agree Sebring is better then the other 2 put together.. Its a huge 3.7m track with plenty of variables.. I could run Sebring Every weekend and never be bored..

I will also give you my personal advice.. if your a novice which we see you are and i was too not long ago.. DONT buy a gt3.. trust me.. I did it.. Its TOO MUCH car for a novice.. You will not learn the fundamentals of driving fast because you will have a crutch with Big HP..

Its VERY VERY humbling when a spec Miata with 170hp is riding your *** in a Gt3 and you cannot shake him..

If you need any advice PM me.. Ill be glad to get you in the right direction since we are local.. We caravan up with groups and have friends who are PCA instructors who can sit passenger and help you without charging a buck.. We all love the sport and its about having fun.. You will never be the fastest and in most cases not even the 10th fastest at any given day on track.. No matter what you drive..

Mike
Thanks Mike . Thats very nice of you and I have looked at Sebring (looks nice) . I have to look at those sites but when and if I am ready to go I wil PM you .

Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by yrralis1

Am I missing something?

Larry,

All you would need to make a track event happen is a helmet and the price for admission. After that, either you like it or hate it. As I said before, I have only met one guy that was not hooked afterwards. I will admit that I was worried when I showed up to my first track event with my pride and joy.

At the very least, if you go and do one event, at least you will be able to discuss this topic having actually experienced both sides.

My initial reasons for going varied from wanting to check it out to being severely pressured by Mobonic and Gomez (thanks guys). I know that I will never be the guy that is "going for broke" out on the track. But I love the experience, the ability to really let the car loose, and the fact that I am learning more about my car than I ever could on the street. And lets not forget that its fun... plain and simple fun.

When I go to work in the morning my "office" has four 5000hp engines strapped to it so I would not say I get my thrills in my Porsche as much as I do at the "daily grind" and maybe that keeps me a little more even keeled since my job gives me all the excitement I can handle.

Jason

Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 AM
If you drive the car at 80% of your cars limit you will have now worries of crashing etc.. Like they say at every event.. Your car is your trophy.. The loser is he who leaves on the flat bed.. You need to really experience it in ANY porsche you own and then decide which car you want to setup for weekend driving at the track..

I find i drive 10x safer on the street after being involved in track events.. Not because of experience but because of the reality that you CANNOT drive your car to 10% of your ability on the streets anyway compared to what you can push it to at the track safely.. My Gt3 quickly became a VERY BORING street car because there is no where in South FL to drive the car safely at speed.. Im not talking ripping on the highways we have, i mean cornering etc..

Mike
You're right .
Originally I chose the Turbo because I felt that it had all the curb appeal and if I ever decide to compete in anything --the 1 mile track event or a drag race at a drag strip is not something that there is even a class for that i know of.
It's just a straight line mash .
To me -I found that thrilling. Plus it's a short event.

Thats kinda why I like the idea of having both cars but i realize that to go to a track with an NA car those skills require time and instruction .
I glanced at those websites --Awesome info BTW thanks.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 AM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
lots of good advice here, so i'll try not to duplicate anything.
  • in my experience, everybody in the paddock will be very welcoming. it's like a cult and getting a new member is very rewarding to everybody that's already there.
  • a track inspection for your car is easy, and the dealer will have a form to fill out. nothing much for you to do but they'll make sure your equipement is safe. this is about $200-ish.
  • you'll want a helmet but you could borrow one and typically at the events i've been to, they have them for $10-$20.
  • line up instructors. for a first timer, they'll require one anyway
  • when you know what track you're going to, check out some lapping videos on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Esz9...eature=related
  • some clubs require gloves. this will run you $50-$200 depending on your budget / desire. i'd emphasize fit over anything
i took a different route from what's been mentioned here. i went to porsche sport driving school in alabama first. prior to going there, i considered myself a pretty good driver and after the first couple hours, i felt like i had just teed off next to jack nicklaus. it was remarkable how much better the pros were than me. PSDS has been discussions ad nauseum here, and i'm a big advocate and have been 2x.

after PSDS, i went to my local track and participated in a PCA event. what i didn't do well was familiarize myself with the track. not a huge mistake, but hindsight is 20/20. i took it easy, had fun, listened a lot and had a blast. i knew nothing about tire pressures, etc and was fine. i should have asked more questions in the paddock.

convinced i needed more instruction, i signed up for track-specific high performance training at that track - 2 day course. ultimated, i became solo, went back to PSDS the next year, and still take instruction periodically.

i'm pretty much all-in regarding equipment and have a car that is both a DD and fantastic on the track. everybody's different and that's what's great about it.

from a long term cost POV, the sky is the limit but in my case, time is more of a limiting factor. i use vacation to skip to the track all summer and hope to have about 10 days this year, including 2 overnight trips. really, it all depends. you have a much more track - friendly enviroment down there so i dont' have much to offer in that regard.

net, you're surrounded by people who will walk you thru it with no pressure and a strong emphasis on safety and having fun, in that order.

PM if you want to chat.

brendo

Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Originally Posted by brendo
lots of good advice here, so i'll try not to duplicate anything.
  • in my experience, everybody in the paddock will be very welcoming. it's like a cult and getting a new member is very rewarding to everybody that's already there.
  • a track inspection for your car is easy, and the dealer will have a form to fill out. nothing much for you to do but they'll make sure your equipement is safe. this is about $200-ish.
  • you'll want a helmet but you could borrow one and typically at the events i've been to, they have them for $10-$20.
  • line up instructors. for a first timer, they'll require one anyway
  • when you know what track you're going to, check out some lapping videos on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Esz9...eature=related
  • some clubs require gloves. this will run you $50-$200 depending on your budget / desire. i'd emphasize fit over anything
i took a different route from what's been mentioned here. i went to porsche sport driving school in alabama first. prior to going there, i considered myself a pretty good driver and after the first couple hours, i felt like i had just teed off next to jack nicklaus. it was remarkable how much better the pros were than me. PSDS has been discussions ad nauseum here, and i'm a big advocate and have been 2x.

after PSDS, i went to my local track and participated in a PCA event. what i didn't do well was familiarize myself with the track. not a huge mistake, but hindsight is 20/20. i took it easy, had fun, listened a lot and had a blast. i knew nothing about tire pressures, etc and was fine. i should have asked more questions in the paddock.

convinced i needed more instruction, i signed up for track-specific high performance training at that track - 2 day course. ultimated, i became solo, went back to PSDS the next year, and still take instruction periodically.

i'm pretty much all-in regarding equipment and have a car that is both a DD and fantastic on the track. everybody's different and that's what's great about it.

from a long term cost POV, the sky is the limit but in my case, time is more of a limiting factor. i use vacation to skip to the track all summer and hope to have about 10 days this year, including 2 overnight trips. really, it all depends. you have a much more track - friendly enviroment down there so i dont' have much to offer in that regard.

net, you're surrounded by people who will walk you thru it with no pressure and a strong emphasis on safety and having fun, in that order.

PM if you want to chat.

brendo
Thanks Brendo. I have a lot to digest here .
when and if I make the step to the track I will PM you as well as several others who replied and gave all this great info.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:09 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Check out some PCA region websites. Many have excellent articles on getting started in DE's.

What to bring.
Where to get car inspected. Etc.

Another good site is for info on tracking is:

turnfast.com

I've done PSDS also. Great school. However, I'm in the opinion that you can get more out of the PSDS if you do a couple of PCA DE's first. But many don't agree with this.

I also did a Drive your own at the Bertil Roos School. Good instruction also and the afternnon sessions were an hour in length. Pretty cool amount of time in the car.

Good luck.

Last edited by buck986; 06-23-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:22 AM
C2Spin will become famous soon enough
Hi, Larry:

Wow, me actually giving information to Larry. Now, that's different.

I am doing my first DE this weekend at Putnam (1.7 miles, 10 turns) outside of Indianapolis. As a newbie I am a bit nervous, however, attended a meeting at local P-Dealer that is sponsoring event where I got to meet instructors and learn about all that needed to be done to prep. Overwhelming at first, but as you get down to it, not all that bad.

Here is what they told me and what I learned:

1. Get tech inspection ahead of time at dealer. My dealer did it for free, perhaps due to them being sponsor.
  2. Change brake fluid. Since this is my first time no need for racing fluid, but new fluid to ensure no moisture is a must
  3. Purchased racing shoes and gloves. The shoes because I did not have a thin-soled shoe to wear - they say it helps to feel pedal and road feedback in your feet. Gloves, because I have aluminum shifter and palms may sweat. Will try it with and without.
  4. Helmet. While the P-Dealer will have helmets to lend, they will be worn by multiple drivers. When you are not on the track someone will be using the helmet - when they come in they'll give it to you and so on. I decided to purchase a relative inexpensive ($199) open-face Bell Helmet (Snell 2005 rated - what you'll need next year for sure). The closed faced helmets are not necessary for this level. Get to Club Racing and they will be. Closed face run $350-$400.
  5. Tire pressure gauge - a good one so you can adjust pressure. I was told to run stock pressure at first and then adjust as I learn feel of car.
  6. Torque wrench. These will be provided at the track. They say to torque lugs to 94lbs
  7. Folding chair, umbrella, hat, sunscreen, rain gear - you will sit in paddock area between runs and need a place to sit - check you location to see if they have shaded areas. Events run rain or shine. You mean my car may get wet .
  8. Rubbermaid or similar tote to store items. Car has to be completely empty when on track - nothing in glove box or trunk, floor mats out. Having a place to store these items (rain proof) is helpful - plus it marks your parking spot in paddock area. Again, may be different at track you attend.
  9. Oh, yeah, and probably not a bad idea to bring Dramamine too. I was told if you race with instructor (at speed) you may be surprised as to how you feel. Guys said that they had never been affected by it before, but when they got to the track, rode with instructor and doing multiple laps in their own cars, they began to feel a bit nauseous. Bringing it along just in case.

All in all for starters you can get into it for <$1000. From their the sky is the limit. As with most DE events, the more you go the more you wear items on the car - mainly tires and brakes. They suggest rotating tires between days 1 and 2. I am told they usually have folks and tools on site to do this.

I'll send an update to the Forum next week on the experience. Realize this may be more detail than you needed/wanted, but food for thought.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2010, 05:32 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Larry,
Do it! You will be hooked forever. I ran Walkins Glenn for years and loved it. You will start with the fundamentals and it will pull you right in. FYI , I was in West Palm in March and Palm Beach International just redid the entire road course and were running a sanctioned event, the course looks absolutely great. +1 on running the PDK to see if you like this. I think you will find that the GT3RS will be heading your way! LOL

Jim

Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
jjc4scab (Larry) - I have DE'd my previous Pcars before, but this is my 1st convertible - as far as I know a roll bar is required.

What kind of bar do you use?

Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 AM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
Larry, not sure where in FL you are but there is an auto-X in Hialeah this weekend. Check out http://www.erscc.com/

I am really not an auto-X kind of guy, always been bad at auto-x but good at racing. Anyway it is so close to my house and I wont have time for the track for several weeks. All you need to run is to show up, they even have helmets there if you dont have one.

If you dont want to run its cool just to see a bunch of different types of cars running thru the cones.

My first track event was Sebring in 1986, been hooked since then. Got my SCCA competition license and Ran CSP open coqkpit car and EP 914 for years.

If you get hooked like so many, prepare to spend big $$$ on entry fees, hotels, tires, brakes, service, etc. The faster you want to go the more money you will spend. Just watch out for the "Quines mas macho" syndrome. Alot of guys think they will be the fastest car on the track if they spend big money but there is so much more to it than that. They usually get frustrated after a while and quit. Just enjoy the experience.

dr

Last edited by machina; 06-23-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:35 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Lots of great stuff here. I'll only reiterate to have fun, and I'll add some things that I didn't see above (sorry if I missed it)
- bring a camera - you should see some cool stuff there
- take some notes for fun. Tire pressures before and after your runs, notes after talking with your instructor (jot down after, not during the conversation), impressions of the course, etc. It will be fun to refer back to later.
- read a book or two first if you're into that. Best is Going Faster by Skip Barber. Speed Secrets is OK, too. Particularly for Going Faster, you'll get introduced to the concepts and lingo. Sort of unrelated, but I recommend "The Unfair Advantage" by Mark Donohue as well, but more as an interesting read than for track prep.
- bring sunscreen (not sure if I saw that one) and drink lots of fluids (bears repeating)

that's all I've got right now...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How does one start the track ?