997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How does one start the track ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:58 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I already have 17K worth of mods on the PDK car --most were performance (FVD exhaust --including cats , Software , coil overs , champion paddles ).
those are all good mods but not really track mods.
for track you need to get rid of all rubber bushings in toe arms, LCAs, upper mounts, steer arms to limit dynamic toe and steering angle changes when car is pressed into corner plus spring rates must be quite stiffer.

you do have good mechanic so I would simply rely on his opinion about all that and go to track and have fun. if you have clear bra in front your car should be fine. you are overthinking this entire endeavor really, you will see yourself at your first DE.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:03 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
You's get low 60's bone stock and 70 with the mods if you did private sale . Look at the Florida Prices on auto trader . http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1277442026497

If you part it out and faced the headache you'd get 80 by the time you are finished and by then the 2010 Gt3 will be older .

That 15-25K will get you the 2010 car in time for the holidays.
you got to be extremely careful with cheap used gt3 cars.
it may cost a fortune to repair well beaten gt3 with a lot of track wear.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I put this much thought taking it to the supermarket.
best post yet!! At least you know you're a bit crazy LOL.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:37 PM
DocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud of
You can't really drive these cars to their full potential on the street without running off into a ditch, running into someone, or getting thrown in jail (possibly all three but I don't want to talk about that any more ;-) )

You can start on a track as slow as you want. You will need a helmet and a tech inspection. PCA is a good place to start. You might find a local track that has open "track days". Search the internet or ask someone at PCA

You will be assigned an instructor who will ride with you and teach you. It is REALLY fun.

It should cost $200-300. You will need a helmet. You will burn up some tires and brakes but they are meant to be used and can be replaced.....

If you have a manual transmission you might read about "Heel-toe" downshifting and practice that before you go.

You bought this car because is fast, so USE IT!!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:43 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
those are all good mods but not really track mods.
for track you need to get rid of all rubber bushings in toe arms, LCAs, upper mounts, steer arms to limit dynamic toe and steering angle changes when car is pressed into corner plus spring rates must be quite stiffer.
um, disagree. you don't "need" to get rid of anything to track the car. that's like saying you "have to have 2 full bottles of wine to relax." different strokes for different folks. lots of schools have very stock cars with which they instruct and people learn a lot and have fun.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:57 PM
DocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud of
Speak for yourself.......some of us do need 2 full bottles of wine to relax.

I want to be the guy who has $17,000 in mods to his Porsche. :-)

Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 PM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
Awesome thread. This forum is just the best. We've had some great humor (I am clearly an incompetent), some great advice, and everything in between. So here is my meager contribution.

"Larry -you love having your cars in absolute pristine condition . Are you ready to put it through the paces and speed up its aging process ?"
yrralis, how about YOUR aging process?

Go to the track:

And you will feel like a 10-yr old for a day. You will grin from ear to ear. I think we like to make our lives get pretty complicated but, at the track, the task at hand is so simple and so pure, it will make you forget everything else for the day.

You will also feel like a 10-yr old everytime you sit in your car and remember it kept you alive on those track days when you got into a corner thinking "oh sh* I am in way over my head, this is way too fast", and all the time the car was just laughing because it knew it was no sweat.

P-cars are truly amazing machines. But every 10-yr old knows that... I've known it for 20-yrs before buying the first one and I did not hesitate to put it on the track for one second. Now on the 2nd one and doing it just the same. It is like freeing a caged animal. It just belongs there.

Just my 0.02.

P.S.: I am extremely particular about my cars and, even after eating a couple of cones at rather high speeds and putting a couple of wheels on the grass a couple of times, there hasn't been anything that could not be fixed by some compound and a buffer. Just try PSDS if you are afraid for the car, you will have fun and get feel for the track thing, it will also give you an idea of wear and tear because these cars are tracked day in and day out and still look pretty good to me - clearly not new, but not beat up by any means either.

Last edited by tcouture; 06-26-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:36 AM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DocMartin9
Speak for yourself.......some of us do need 2 full bottles of wine to relax.

I want to be the guy who has $17,000 in mods to his Porsche. :-)
my sincerest apologies. i meant to say "everybody" doesn't need that but it's perfectly OK if you do.