997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

front plate ticket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
1) It's not required in Florida and I agree that it's ugly but theres a proper way to handle a law which one feels is "ridiculous" and an improper way . Simply ignoring the law or violating it is not the proper way . he can vote, write editorials, campaign , petition , sound off on youtube and ask support for his cause --if he is this adamant . The bottom line is he got a ticket .. that's not exatly winning .
Larry, in California the law exists only to serve as a revenue generator. That is why they allow you to 'buy' your way out of it as oppose to making it right. It is also why motorcycles are not required to have a front plate. A few years back there was a petition online but many didn't know it existed. I have had no front plate on all my cars now for over 20 years and in that time I've been ticketed three times. Each time I fix it for the day, pay the $10 and move on. I'm happy and the State got their tax. No harm in that.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i dont run front plate on sports cars not only because it is unsightly but also because I dont want to drill holes into my bumper

Here is someone else's Gallardo with front plates - ouch!

Attached Images   
Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
I don't understand something --
I realize the front plate is ugly but if it's the law and you know that it's a ticket why not just put the plate on ?

I just don't get it . The idea of driving around with tint that's too dark and no plate is inviting the cops to write you a ticket and not only that every time you drive by a patrol car you have to be thinking "is the the cop who going to pull me over" .

It's just not worth it . The plate isn't that ugly and tint .. i think the car looks better without it. Plus no tickets and stress free driving sound a lot more enjoyable than worry and problems .
+1

I don't get the big deal either...is the front plate *that* ugly? Authorities need to ID the car and sometimes from the front.

As for tints, I hate the idea of getting a bad job and worrying about bubbles. Also, at night, if you over-tint, it could pose as a viewing impairment.

Since I'm at it, I don't like oversized rims either. I prefer diameters that improve performance rather than for show.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:01 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by djantlive
i dont run front plate on sports cars not only because it is unsightly but also because I dont want to drill holes into my bumper

Here is someone else's Gallardo with front plates - ouch!
That's some poor drilling...shouldn't it be lower w/i that concave part?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
Larry, in California the law exists only to serve as a revenue generator. That is why they allow you to 'buy' your way out of it as oppose to making it right. It is also why motorcycles are not required to have a front plate. A few years back there was a petition online but many didn't know it existed. I have had no front plate on all my cars now for over 20 years and in that time I've been ticketed three times. Each time I fix it for the day, pay the $10 and move on. I'm happy and the State got their tax. No harm in that.
If one drives with no tag and the laws are relaxed he's still bound to get pulled over sooner or later . The exposure alone of having every camera in your city photograph 100 percent of the time the absent tag could actually generate a pile of revenue . (sidenote . Florida does have red light cameras, open toll roads , and high tech surveilance which also generates revenue AND can add moving violation points -every state has rules --not just California).

He still has to drive with a level of stress and discomfort --or getting pulled over at an inconvenient time , or pressing the cop for his time . The cop might even agree with you but may still write the ticket because that's his job.

I did a google search to see if there is a petition and found this http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html
It showed on other car forums too.

You had posted a tow hook mount . it doesn't disfigure the bumper , may comply with rules .. sounds like a compromise ? No?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
1) It's not required in Florida and I agree that it's ugly but theres a proper way to handle a law which one feels is "ridiculous" and an improper way . Simply ignoring the law or violating it is not the proper way . he can vote, write editorials, campaign , petition , sound off on youtube and ask support for his cause --if he is this adamant . The bottom line is he got a ticket .. that's not exatly winning .

2) Speeding is not the topic and only serves as a straw man defection to the original topic.
It's acceptable to ignore an improper law that has essentially no validity that is also universally ignored by LE. What about motorcycles? Plenty of laws broken on motorcycles and by motorcyclists too. Would you put one on your bike to be safe?

And all that "work" to reform a front plate law is usually a waste of time. In two major metropolitan areas, LE also basically ignores the ridiculous law.

2) Speeding is an excellent example. Do you speed? Do you know if the speed limit surveys are current where you speed? Should the 55 zone be 65 and everyone does 70mph? Have you peititioned, written and campaigned?

If one drives with no tag and the laws are relaxed he's still bound to get pulled over sooner or later
No. Approximately 300,000 miles, and being pulled over, it's never mentioned or simply confirmed it's in my possession.

He still has to drive with a level of stress and discomfort --or getting pulled over at an inconvenient time , or pressing the cop for his time . The cop might even agree with you but may still write the ticket because that's his job.
Incorrect. It's not even in the back of my mind just like most without a front plate. The key word is "may" write a ticket. Or he may not waste his time.

You had posted a tow hook mount . it doesn't disfigure the bumper , may comply with rules .. sounds like a compromise ? No?
Straw argument?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
mander is infamous around these parts
Ran my S4 without a front plate for 2.5 years in Iowa. Got pulled over for it and no other reason. The stop made me late for an appointment and the fix and sign off took an hour or so. Don't need that type of hassle. Kept the front plate on and the 09C4S has a front plate.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
If one drives with no tag and the laws are relaxed he's still bound to get pulled over sooner or later . The exposure alone of having every camera in your city photograph 100 percent of the time the absent tag could actually generate a pile of revenue .
You raise a good point about the cameras as they are becoming more and more prevalent and I certainly would change my behavior if I was getting tickets in the mail every month for it. So far I have only seen setups that capture your rear plate.

Cops have a surprising amount of discretion as to whether or not to ticket you. I pass 4-5 cops a day on my commute. I have never been specifically pulled over for no front plate, it has always been under special circumstances. Perhaps with the desperation for revenue this is changing and that may change my behavior as well if it becomes more common.

I did a google search to see if there is a petition and found this http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html
Yup, that is the one I signed many years ago. Unfortunately, most cars are utilitarian to their owners and they don't care about such things as us enthusiasts. So the petition will ultimately die off.

Yes, it's a good compromise but still unsightly. I purchased the one I posted and highly recommend it. However, I admit I purchased it solely for the day that *if* I get a fix it ticket I'll have a quick solution for the day

Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Old 07-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by 911cv
That's a good idea, but it's as if you guys are being compelled to hang the visual equivalent of a baboon's butt on the front of your car, gonna out of your way to find ways around the law and inconveniencing yourselves...is the front plate *that* hideous?

Old 07-31-2010, 03:15 AM
Soma415 is infamous around these partsSoma415 is infamous around these parts
Ah, a topic near and dear to my heart. As someone who has been driving in CA with no front plate and (CA) illegally tinted windows, I have to give my experiences. I’ve been pulled over 4 times in 7 years. Fix it tickets depend on who pulled you over, city or state, either $10 or $25 per violation. I really like my window tint (car appearance and functionality in bright sunlight)and look w/o the front plate and the fix its have not dissuaded me from keeping my setup. The truth is cops don’t even know why they are ticketing you for it. I’m always amicable with the officers whenever I catch the blues, and usually are sincere and talk for a bit. I’ve heard that tinted windows are a hazard for any officer that might be trying to identify what a driver is up to, and also it makes it harder for rescue crews to break into the window during an accident scenario. I might possibly buy the identification spiel, but in reality they are applying regulation for taxation. Front plates? How often will front plates be beneficial for officers watching traffic. It’s only for red light cameras-again, revenue generation. I have ways to get these fix it tickets cleared easier than paying to get a front plate mounting bracket, so I keep the car the way I like it, and deal with the possibilities of getting pulled over. The cost benefit for me is worth it.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:10 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Now I really don't get it

Originally Posted by Soma415
Ah, a topic near and dear to my heart. As someone who has been driving in CA with no front plate and (CA) illegally tinted windows, I have to give my experiences. I’ve been pulled over 4 times in 7 years. Fix it tickets depend on who pulled you over, city or state, either $10 or $25 per violation. I really like my window tint (car appearance and functionality in bright sunlight)and look w/o the front plate and the fix its have not dissuaded me from keeping my setup. The truth is cops don’t even know why they are ticketing you for it. I’m always amicable with the officers whenever I catch the blues, and usually are sincere and talk for a bit. I’ve heard that tinted windows are a hazard for any officer that might be trying to identify what a driver is up to, and also it makes it harder for rescue crews to break into the window during an accident scenario. I might possibly buy the identification spiel, but in reality they are applying regulation for taxation. Front plates? How often will front plates be beneficial for officers watching traffic. It’s only for red light cameras-again, revenue generation. I have ways to get these fix it tickets cleared easier than paying to get a front plate mounting bracket, so I keep the car the way I like it, and deal with the possibilities of getting pulled over. The cost benefit for me is worth it.
1) Window tint -

If that window tint does not comply with the law the least of your problems are with a fix it ticket -which is bad enough.
I just finished reading a personal injury attorney website which specalizes in window tint cases used in accident injury law suits.

If you are upset over a few dollars of excess revenue all it would take is an accident to clean house . Even your insurance might not back you unless you inform them and then they would deny the policy (if the tint was illegal) .

All this over dark glass ? Which happens to cut visibility ? And isn't legal in your region ? Which is deemed illegal because of accidents ? Sheesh .

You would not have any legal defence. You are driving a Porsche . if this was a discussion with a thug he probably wouldn't care .. but unlike a thug .. a guy who can afford a car like this and who knowingly sets himself uip for problems (in my opinion) makes it even more ridiculous.

Add to this .. that even if you don't have an accident .. all those fix it tickets are recorded and in the event that you ever face any legal issue and they check every public record .. you think these tickets can help you win positive sentiment from a judge?

For what ? To feel cool ? Now i REALLY don't get it.

2) The tag --
All the arguments .. point to (paraphrasing) "a silly revenue generating law"

Of course that's opinion but the FACT is that the law exists and you can (and have gotten) get a ticket.

Having one tag instead of two cuts the probablilties in half of a visual ID of the car. You can fictitiously claim that it doesn't but there is ONE more tag if the car has two.

So if a thug uses stolen tags -- now with this two tag law they'd have to steal two tags instead of one (making their job harder) -- adding protection to the honest people and the cops.

It's really not that hard to follow this simple law .
It's not even mandatory to live in California . This is where you chose to live . Every place has their rules .

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-31-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
1) Window tint -

If that window tint does not comply with the law the least of your problems are with a fix it ticket -which is bad enough.
I just finished reading a personal injury attorney website which specalizes in window tint cases used in accident injury law suits.

If you are upset over a few dollars of excess revenue all it would take is an accident to clean house . Even your insurance might not back you unless you inform them and then they would deny the policy (if the tint was illegal) .

All this over dark glass ? Which happens to cut visibility ? And isn't legal in your region ? Which is deemed illegal because of accidents ? Sheesh .

You would not have any legal defence. You are driving a Porsche . if this was a discussion with a thug he probably wouldn't care .. but unlike a thug .. a guy who can afford a car like this and who knowingly sets himself uip for problems (in my opinion) makes it even more ridiculous.

Add to this .. that even if you don't have an accident .. all those fix it tickets are recorded and in the event that you ever face any legal issue and they check every public record .. you think these tickets can help you win positive sentiment from a judge?

For what ? To feel cool ? Now i REALLY don't get it.

2) The tag --
All the arguments .. point to (paraphrasing) "a silly revenue generating law"

Of course that's opinion but the FACT is that the law exists and you can (and have gotten) get a ticket.

Having one tag instead of two cuts the probablilties in half of a visual ID of the car. You can fictitiously claim that it doesn't but there is ONE more tag if the car has two.

So if a thug uses stolen tags -- now with this two tag law they'd have to steal two tags instead of one (making their job harder) -- adding protection to the honest people and the cops.

It's really not that hard to follow this simple law .
It's not even mandatory to live in California . This is where you chose to live . Every place has their rules .
How do you spell paranoia.

Lighten up.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Soma415 is infamous around these partsSoma415 is infamous around these parts
1) Window tint -
Legally, i have no issues with most of your arguement, you're right. Speaking in terms of common sense, these rules bogus, hence most other states do not find them illegal.

They are an excuse for an officer to pull you over, and i bet most of their expired license our DUI arrests stemmed from finding a minor violation such as tinted windows or a busted tail light. I keep my license current, and take cabs when i might be drinking.

Your tag examples are great examples of someone inventing and advancing their negative argument. You really want to go with the "front plates keep the bad guys away" arguement? That's just 7th inning because it's a stretch.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:49 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
In many states, a Rx for medical necessity may allow an owner to use darker tint.

ICD9 379.24 Vitreous opacities would be a reasonable exclusion diagnosis.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: front plate ticket