997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Keep the 997.2 S vs. R8 vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 PM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
I assume you have not taken the GT3 for a spin, do it and you will have your mind made up

Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by utkinpol
get a new lambo - it costs so much so you will be out of any other options for a while.

turbo 997 car realy does not do anything marginally different from what your current car does. if you feel you do ont like it - it is perhaps better to analizy what is it exactly you are after, especally considering it is a street car only.
Sorry but I couldn't help it! That has to be the strangest VERB I have ever read

EDIT> Oops forgot to add something relevant to the thread:

I once considered the R8 before deciding on a 997.2. The R8 is definitely different, has all the performance of the 997.2S and the luxury. Not as 'practical' (but really... what does that matter eh?) but it looks gobsmackingly awesome on the road. I haven't driven one so I can't compare the driving experience to the 911... I'd say take a test drive of both and decide!

Last edited by Howie; 08-11-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
get a new lambo - it costs so much so you will be out of any other options for a while.

turbo 997 car realy does not do anything marginally different from what your current car does. if you feel you do ont like it - it is perhaps better to analizy what is it exactly you are after, especally considering it is a street car only.
wow, this couldnt be any more wrong of a statement.

I had an 08S for 2 years and was actually getting really bored with it performance wise. Plus all the forum talk about getting this exhaust or getting that intake, or supercharging to get more power was kind of an annoyance.

I made the change about 8 months ago and I can only speak for myself, the turbo is worlds apart! Not trying to knock anyone elses car or love of their car but strickly from a performance point it is a beast. Add to that PDK and performance out of the box jumps. Simple tune on a TT and you really are eons above what any S can possibly do.

To the OP: get the turbo and find out for yourself, the R8 is weak in the performance category unless you do what a friend of mine has...............TWIN TURBOS

Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 AM
InrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud of
I certainly had a great time overtaking 997.1 turbos at the track in my R8... Talk about balanced and good corner exit speeds...

Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
R8 aren't as fun to drive as it looks. I much prefer driving ANY porsche (including a boxster!) over a R8, R8 on the other hand looks great, and thats about it.

if I was in your shoes, I'd just drive the C2S for a year longer and jump into the 991 as soon as its release.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by InrevInc
I certainly had a great time overtaking 997.1 turbos at the track in my R8... Talk about balanced and good corner exit speeds...

Right, and Im sure thats due to the car.......obviously at the track the most important value is driver capability, so you were obviously a better driver, if you were in the porsche you would have past him in the R8...........and most likely by a much larger margin

Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Crea;2939355[B
]R8 aren't as fun to drive as it looks[/B]. I much prefer driving ANY porsche (including a boxster!) over a R8, R8 on the other hand looks great, and thats about it.
But they do look good:

Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I'm not sure this is true

Originally Posted by dinorocz
Right, and Im sure thats due to the car.......obviously at the track the most important value is driver capability, so you were obviously a better driver, if you were in the porsche you would have past him in the R8...........and most likely by a much larger margin
While I personally found the R8 a bit boring to drive, its no slouch and I think easier to drive really fast than a 911.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 PM
T33
T33 is on a distinguished road
"Saved by the son".... you're son just saved you some $$$. Keep the 997.2S and wait for the 991. Then you can drive and compare the other options.

Originally Posted by Krashdoc
When I purchased my 997.2 S 6 speed 13 months ago, I promised myself that I will keep this car for about 3 years. It has been a great driver. However, I am beginning to get the itch to trade it in again. I almost traded it in for a 2009 GT3 over the weekend when my son started getting antsy and had to leave.
I have been entertaining different options since then.
1. Keep the 997.2 S for two more years as planned
2. Audi R 8 V8
3. 997 Turbo
After much thinking, GT3 is out of the running. (bumper clearance, can't change wheels at home with ease, etc)
What are your thoughts?