997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Keep the 997.2 S vs. R8 vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Krashdoc will become famous soon enough
Keep the 997.2 S vs. R8 vs Turbo

When I purchased my 997.2 S 6 speed 13 months ago, I promised myself that I will keep this car for about 3 years. It has been a great driver. However, I am beginning to get the itch to trade it in again. I almost traded it in for a 2009 GT3 over the weekend when my son started getting antsy and had to leave.
I have been entertaining different options since then.
1. Keep the 997.2 S for two more years as planned
2. Audi R 8 V8
3. 997 Turbo
After much thinking, GT3 is out of the running. (bumper clearance, can't change wheels at home with ease, etc)
What are your thoughts?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
997.2 turbo if you can swing it

Old 08-10-2010, 10:06 AM
mrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond repute
Are you itching for more power or a more raw sports car experience? Or is it that you just want something different?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Krashdoc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mrdonut
Are you itching for more power or a more raw sports car experience? Or is it that you just want something different?
just something different. I am considering the 997.2 Turbo so the difference in appearance doesn't have to be huge. I want the options of driving the car daily although it will technically be a "weekend car". Thus, ferraris and lambos are not good options.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 AM
mrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond repute
hmm... I would go with the turbo then. I think it's a good choice for driving daily sometimes while being different enough from you current 911.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Out of those three, I would keep the C2S. If you a really wanting to trade it in (and a GT3 is out of the equation), then get the 997TT.

BTW, you can get a nose lift kit, and a special torque wrench for a few hundred dollars to change the wheels, if those are the only barriers for the GT3.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:41 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
If I could have swung it, I would have picked up a new R8 rather than the P-car. I couldn't, and I have no regrets.

The sensible thing to do is to hang onto the 997 for another year or two, which will significantly reduce the negative impact on the first year's depreciation.

Did I say 'sensible'.. where the .. did that come from!?..

Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Krashdoc
When I purchased my 997.2 S 6 speed 13 months ago, I promised myself that I will keep this car for about 3 years. It has been a great driver. However, I am beginning to get the itch to trade it in again. I almost traded it in for a 2009 GT3 over the weekend when my son started getting antsy and had to leave.
I have been entertaining different options since then.
1. Keep the 997.2 S for two more years as planned
2. Audi R 8 V8
3. 997 Turbo
After much thinking, GT3 is out of the running. (bumper clearance, can't change wheels at home with ease, etc)
What are your thoughts?
get a new lambo - it costs so much so you will be out of any other options for a while.

turbo 997 car realy does not do anything marginally different from what your current car does. if you feel you do ont like it - it is perhaps better to analizy what is it exactly you are after, especally considering it is a street car only.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
There isn't enough info here to offer any insightful advice. Every car you list has it's strengths and weaknesses and each are magnificent in it's own way. As a DD, either the TT or the current car are at the top of the list. The GT3 (my personal preference) is a bit more complicated (though the torque wrench requirement is trivial and I get by with a lowered C2S with GT3 bumper with little issue, ensuring that I could handle a GT3 from a practicality standpoint already) but as someone who prioritizes steering feel over immense power, it is my goal to someday own of those.
The most complex point is not being able to analyze the 'want something new' concept. It and it's variants are the emotions that drive all of us to own these cars. If money is not a big concern, then move on to one of the two Porsche's (if handling is your pleasure than the GT3, if it's raw power then the TT). I'd leave the R8 out because of an uncertain trade-in value and the difficulty of it being a DD (I'm assuming that the sight lines in that car are not much different than my Ford GT which (for many other reasons as well) is not a viable DD).
For me, I've been so satisfied with my 2005 CS Cab that I don't see being tempted to swap it (and the associated costs) for a long long time.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I've driven the R8 4.2 multiple times and have been simply disappointed. Aside from it's good looks inside and out, it's overall performance is sub par. Feedback and driver involvement is mediocre. Acceleration is anemic. I think you will be disappointed going from a 997.2 to a R8.

What are you looking for...a daily driver? Track car? Highway cruiser?

- bob

Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bbywu
I've driven the R8 4.2 multiple times and have been simply disappointed. Aside from it's good looks inside and out, it's overall performance is sub par. Feedback and driver involvement is mediocre. Acceleration is anemic. I think you will be disappointed going from a 997.2 to a R8.
That and it's an absolute pig to feed... I know with a sports car this is not a prime consideration, but you'll get a rude awakening in that regard compared to the Porsche. 997.2tt still trumps the R8 V10, btw...

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 08-10-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I agree with others on the R8

I found to just be a bit underwhelming. It can easily be daily driven if need be but I think the C2S is just more fun to drive.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
That and it's an absolute pig to feed... I know with a sports car this is not a prime consideration, but you'll get a rude awakening in that regard compared to the Porsche. 997.2tt still trumps the R8 V10, btw...
...and RTronic pales in comparison to PDK.

Too many negatives, IMHO. If you are convinced that the R8 is the way to go, consider a used Gallardo. Essentially same engine, much better driving experience.

bob

Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bbywu
...and rtronic pales in comparison to pdk.

Too many negatives, imho. If you are convinced that the r8 is the way to go, consider a used gallardo. Essentially same engine, much better driving experience.

Bob
+1!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:06 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I know you said the G car is not an option

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
+1!!!
but it can be daily driven if your up to it. I put 11k miles on mine last year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keep the 997.2 S vs. R8 vs Turbo