997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
Nokians are good too

Will these work?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-widebody.html

Last edited by wpgfordguy; 09-22-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wpgfordguy
Nokians are good too

Will these work?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-widebody.html
They will not as they are for a 996 widebody. Thanks for looking for me though.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
so... ( forgive my ignorance) 996WB won't go on a 997WB... why?

Sorry off topic but i need to know it's killing me

Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wpgfordguy
so... ( forgive my ignorance) 996WB won't go on a 997WB... why?

Sorry off topic but i need to know it's killing me
I have a 997 C2S...which is a narrow body

Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 AM
^^^^^ spot the newb!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:17 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
May I suggest what's already been suggested....

Assuming you are not in an arctic tundra and are concerned for cold weather, periodic snow, occasional ice...... Go with High Performance Snow/ Winter; i.e. Dunlop or Pirelli....

I agree to skip the Blizzaks unless you wake up deciding between the "snow mobile or 911.....?".

Blizzaks are brilliant in snow, suck horribly in the dry.

All-Seasons suck in everything.

All midwestern/northern owners should have 3 sets of tires/ wheels for their 911's.
Summer, Winter, Track. IMO!

Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 PM
chinsky will become famous soon enough
I went withthe Pirelli's for a 08 C4 Cab on the basis that I would be driving mostly in cold with a few snowy/icy days a year. With that mindset, I also decided to stick with 19's for asthetic reasons (and becasue it is what Porsche recommends) so I have 235s and 295s.

I would have gone with the Dunlop as I have had these on other cars and really liked them but Damon pointed out these are not P approved. Since I am still under warranty, I decided to go withs omething that P couln't give me a hard time about.

I got mine from tire rack and have since bought snows for the wife's car, all seasons for the family hauler and for new summer shoes for the P Car - all from tire rack. Fair prices, good service and helpful when you've got questions. I like their local installer too.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:33 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by chinsky
I would have gone with the Dunlop as I have had these on other cars and really liked them but Damon pointed out these are not P approved. Since I am still under warranty, I decided to go withs omething that P couln't give me a hard time about.
I have the Dunlops and love them too. And, never considered if they are Porsche approved and frankly could care less.

Damon, am I missing something. What could Porsche "do" by me not having "P Approved" tires. Tires are not covered under any warranty anyway. It's not speed rating, load rating, etc?

What's the puzzle piece?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Yesterday I ordered my winter wheels from Damon -- he was great!

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
It's that time again right around the corner.

You asked guys to chime in with their preferences, so I will let them.

Please call me if I can help!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by KK Moto
May I suggest what's already been suggested....

Assuming you are not in an arctic tundra and are concerned for cold weather, periodic snow, occasional ice...... Go with High Performance Snow/ Winter; i.e. Dunlop or Pirelli....

I agree to skip the Blizzaks unless you wake up deciding between the "snow mobile or 911.....?".

Blizzaks are brilliant in snow, suck horribly in the dry.

All-Seasons suck in everything.

All midwestern/northern owners should have 3 sets of tires/ wheels for their 911's.
Summer, Winter, Track. IMO!
Thanks for the info.

I had Blizzaks on my 2007 Subaru STi and they were unreal in the snow. I would watch all sorts of other high end 4WD cars stuggle as I went right around them in the deapest of snow.

With that said I would buy them for the 997 if they came in the size. I know they are overkill but we get decent snow and icey roads in the boston area.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:07 PM
NeunElf will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by KK Moto
I have the Dunlops and love them too. And, never considered if they are Porsche approved and frankly could care less.

Damon, am I missing something. What could Porsche "do" by me not having "P Approved" tires. Tires are not covered under any warranty anyway. It's not speed rating, load rating, etc?

What's the puzzle piece?
THe "N spec" approved tires are like Mobil 1, someone who has paid Porsche for having their brand designated. In other words it's all marketing hype! I agree with you, the Dunlops are tremendous all around winter tire!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:16 PM
GXL
GXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of light
The Dunlop Winter Sport 3D is P approved for my 996.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...sanddownloads/

Old 11-19-2010, 06:53 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
2006 c2
michelin pa2
235/265 r18
sh$t comapred to r-comps. works fine for street.
got with a car

Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 AM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
I have used the Pirelli Sottozeros and am now on the Michelin Alpins.

Loved the Pirellis, but got a great deal on the Michelins so tried them. I prefer the way the Pirellis rode and handled, but the Michelins have lasted twice as long! The Pirellis lasted 11,000 miles, and the Michelins have gone 23,000!!! I think the Pirellis have a softer compound, which is why they wear faster, but they gripped like crazy, even out of snow, and they seemed to ride quieter. That said, the Michelins are no slouch, but they do seem to make more road noise.

Got them both from Tire Rack in their recommended sizes.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:14 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Sorry to disappoint KK Moto but I have had more than one expert in the Metro PCA recommend the Conti DSWs since if it really is bad out (i.e., more than a 1/2 inch of snow) I will be riding on a '03 Buick Century! LOL

No matter how good your tires are and how good a driver you are, it is the other guy to be worried about. You can have the best winter tires out there it won't make the other drivers any better. Especially here on Long Island where people panic at the first hint of snow and drive like they are avoiding nuclear fallout!

I do agree that three sets of tires is the best way to go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires