997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Headers - Price differences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 PM
wmclarenf1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by endo911
Haven't heard of the NHP X-51. Who makes these? Where are they available?
Hi,

they can be found here..

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/

Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 AM
endo911 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Porsche X51 headers are inexpensive and flow with the best of the aftermarket, Search and you'll find lots of discussion. Nere's what the guys at Europipe say about them:

The stock 997S headers have ø 42mm tubes. Both the 997S X51 and 996 GT3 headers have ø 48mm tubes. We have built and tested several equal length headers in both ø 45mm, ø 48mm and ø 50mm tube sizes. Eventually the OEM X51 headers turned out to equally good but without having the inevitable ground clearance issues.
Found out that the Schnell's have an inner diameter of 50mm. With minimal performance gains and minimal impact on sound, is there a downside to going with these? They are full stainless, 100% mandrel bent, equal length, with race style collectors. And they are 1/2 the price of the others, and still even less than the OEM X51 and NHP X51. I just dont see a downside for the price?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Found out that the Schnell's have an inner diameter of 50mm. With minimal performance gains and minimal impact on sound, is there a downside to going with these? They are full stainless, 100% mandrel bent, equal length, with race style collectors. And they are 1/2 the price of the others, and still even less than the OEM X51 and NHP X51. I just dont see a downside for the price?
Bigger isn't always better, do your research before you pull the trigger.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:39 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Haven't heard of the NHP X-51. Who makes these? Where are they available?
do not put 3.8L X51 headers on your 3.6L engine. leave stock headers on it.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
do not put 3.8L X51 headers on your 3.6L engine. leave stock headers on it.
I have decided against the X51 headers.

Let me phrase the question this way......does putting headers on a 3.6 L "hurt" the performance or the engine? Price not being a factor.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:25 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
I have decided against the X51 headers.

Let me phrase the question this way......does putting headers on a 3.6 L "hurt" the performance or the engine? Price not being a factor.
3.6L engine requires headers with intake diameter calculated for 3.6L engine, not for 3.8L engine. increase of a diameter will reduce output gas pressure from cylinders and essentially will take whole system out of tune. usually people do not do that.

on street 997 cars people usually only change headers on 'S' 3.8L engines as stock headers have weird design so they put on X51 headers there. 3.6L headers have same exact design as X51 headers but have smaller diameter that matches 3.6L displacement.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:47 PM
3.6L engine requires headers with intake diameter calculated for 3.6L engine, not for 3.8L engine. increase of a diameter will reduce output gas pressure from cylinders and essentially will take whole system out of tune. usually people do not do that.

on street 997 cars people usually only change headers on 'S' 3.8L engines as stock headers have weird design so they put on X51 headers there. 3.6L headers have same exact design as X51 headers but have smaller diameter that matches 3.6L displacement.
Now this makes sense. But lets say that I am going to upgrade the ECU as well. Does it make sense to add the headers now? I realize we are only talking minimal gains if any, and the headers would be in conjunction with x-pipe 200 cell cats, and new mufflers.

The cats and mufflers are definitely on the "to-do" list......just debating on adding the headers. Thanks for your input!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Shouldn’t you be doing the exhaust system from the headers back first? That’s where you will realize the most gain and audible change. Then air box/filters and ECU at the same time if you can. Anyone else agree???

Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 PM
wmclarenf1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VID997
Shouldn’t you be doing the exhaust system from the headers back first? That’s where you will realize the most gain and audible change. Then air box/filters and ECU at the same time if you can. Anyone else agree???
I think so too. I've done the headers and cats on my S but kept with the PSE muffler as I'm not into loud cars. Have not done ECU and not really thinking of it as I think it'll have very very little effect on a NA car. The headers and cats have a positive effect I feel but I have not dynoed it so it is just my lay driver opinion.

Last edited by wmclarenf1; 10-13-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Looking at headers for 997 3.6L and the one major difference that I see is cost. All seem to be stainless steel, 100% mandrel bent, Race style collectors with equal length tubes, etc....(Agency Power and factory X-51's have a little different shape but all the others are roughly the same).

So why the big difference in price? Most are around 1,500 USD but the Tubi's are ~2,200 and on the opposite end the Schnell's at 675. What's the difference? Type or Gauge of steel is the only thing I can come up with other than "Name" and possible R+D costs.

Any thoughts? All things being equal, why spend 1,500 on Fabspeed or AWE when you can get the Schnell's at 1/2 the price. I'm new to the Porsche world and this forum, so go easy ;-)
Differences are in the finish and attention to detail on the inside of them.. Many are not welded inside each runner, some are not port matched, quality of materials, stainless flanges vs mild steel, Some like EVOMS are tapered off the flange then step down, etc.. There are ways to make things cheaper and sell them cheaper but that means cutting corners.. These are all turbo manifolds but you get the idea..

Notice EVOMS Tapered each runner..

Here is a pic of one our manufactures that we use whos are all CNC flanged along with welded for strength..

Or you get some POS like this with Crap material and no attn to detail on each runner.. A quick clue is polished Shiny Manifolds are usually made of Chinese crap material.. Definitely not ALL so please dont take offense if you know of a quality manifold polished.. Just saying its a clue to look further into them..

Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Now this makes sense. But lets say that I am going to upgrade the ECU as well. Does it make sense to add the headers now? I realize we are only talking minimal gains if any, and the headers would be in conjunction with x-pipe 200 cell cats, and new mufflers.

The cats and mufflers are definitely on the "to-do" list......just debating on adding the headers. Thanks for your input!
what to do is totally up to you, but I would only replace cats to 200 cell ones, fabspeed or AWE and would not do anything else. you will not see anything on 3.6L engine from headers upgrade and I do not think you should try to play with increasing intake diameter as it messes up engine.

flash ECU with softronic to get sport mode 100% and rev limiter up to 7500.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:46 AM
what to do is totally up to you, but I would only replace cats to 200 cell ones, fabspeed or AWE and would not do anything else. you will not see anything on 3.6L engine from headers upgrade and I do not think you should try to play with increasing intake diameter as it messes up engine.

Think I have decided against the headers for the time being. Thanks for everyones input. I am going with the Fabspeed 200 cell cats and mufflers and their competition intake. Eventually will upgrade the ECU either with softronic or EVOMS. IPD is a possibility as well, but that seems to be a questionable upgrade according to the threads. Everyone seems to agree that it improves the butt dyno but the real thing doesn't work out that way. Thanks again.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Fabspeed 200 cell x-pipe, and I would strongly recommend them. X-design pipes generally aid in engine breathing by scavenging the exhaust flow opposite of the active pulse.