997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ethanol or No Ethanol?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Mark Ducati will become famous soon enoughMark Ducati will become famous soon enough
Ethanol or No Ethanol?

Just curious what your thoughts are on gas for my 997.2?

I've been using BP's 93 Octane that contains 10% Ethanol... then the other day I stopped at a convenient store private gas station, they had 93 octane that was "ethanol free".

Seems to me like the car is running a little sluggish with the ethanol free gas... I noticed this before I put the 19" wheels, but had been meaning to ask this question.

Do you guys have a preference for fuel regarding ethanol?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Is there any doubt, what the correct answer is?

And worse is coming - E15.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
That E15 junk ain't gonna cut it...

Originally Posted by 997.2 Owner's Manual

Fuels containing ethanol

Do not use any fuels containing more than 10 percent
ethanol by volume.
We recommend, however, to change to a different
fuel or station if any of the following problems occur
with your vehicle:
– Deterioration of driveability and performance.
– Substantially reduced fuel economy.
– Vapor lock and non-start problems, especially
at high altitude or at high temperature.
– Engine malfunction or stalling.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Mark Ducati will become famous soon enoughMark Ducati will become famous soon enough
I was thinking ethanol free gas would be better? Seriously, I haven't a clue... this private station just started offering ethanol free gas about 3 weeks ago, so I stopped to buy some milk on the way home, saw they had 93 etoh free, so I topped off my already 1/2 empty tank... next day, the car felt a little sluggish (this was before the new 19" wheels)...

Bad gas?

Maybe its just my imagination... now that I have the new wheels on, when I get empty, I'll try a full tank of 93 etoh free...

Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
You have struck a goldmine. All of the stations around here sell nothing but the poison. Can't find ethanol gas free anywhere.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
gt2rs6 has a spectacular aura aboutgt2rs6 has a spectacular aura about
ummmmm he said his car was running worse with the ethanol free gas... worse isint coming lol .... e15 isint gonna be an issue... just bypass it and go e85!!! if e85 makes awesome power when tuned for it... and we all run e10 why would e15 be so bad?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:55 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gt2rs6
ummmmm he said his car was running worse with the ethanol free gas... worse isint coming lol .... e15 isint gonna be an issue... just bypass it and go e85!!! if e85 makes awesome power when tuned for it... and we all run e10 why would e15 be so bad?
You can tune your car and run E85 with it. Running is not the issue. Go ahead, try it and report back after a year's usage.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:05 PM
gt2rs6 has a spectacular aura aboutgt2rs6 has a spectacular aura about
im not running e85... but how many people are and have been with no issues... lots!!.. its kinda new in the porsche world but not in other high performance applications..

Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Just curious what your thoughts are on gas for my 997.2?

I've been using BP's 93 Octane that contains 10% Ethanol... then the other day I stopped at a convenient store private gas station, they had 93 octane that was "ethanol free".

Seems to me like the car is running a little sluggish with the ethanol free gas... I noticed this before I put the 19" wheels, but had been meaning to ask this question.

Do you guys have a preference for fuel regarding ethanol?
Our local stations have the 10% ethanol as well and when my car was supercharged,actually made better power.I used my Gtech accelerometer and Durametric software to compare the two types of fuel.
The Gtech showed bigger RWHP power and the Durametric allowed me to watch timing curves(more timing=more power)...also with the fact that Durametric has a time scale on it....I could crunch the numbers in any RPM range to determine which combination would get the best time!
And the gas with Ethanol always did better....

NO kidding,

Stacy

Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Ethanol free gas is JUNK.. The bump in 10-15% ethanol in the mixture will make more power for sure.. We see increased timing allowed while tuning with 10% Ethanol..

Mike

Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Amazing what's going on here. Ethanol boosts power but that is not the issue. This is a Porsche forum and Porsches are not ready to run more than E10 and even that is iffy, if you care for reliability and fuel efficiency. There is no ethanol-laced gas in Europe - they lack a corn lobby over there. Feel free to drink the performance or eco Kool-Aid.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
Amazing what's going on here. Ethanol boosts power but that is not the issue. This is a Porsche forum and Porsches are not ready to run more than E10 and that even that is iffy, if you care for reliability and fuel efficiency. There is no ethanol-laced gas in Europe - they lack a corn lobby over there. Feel free to drink the performance or eco Kool-Aid.
Porsches arent ready??

I have Gt3's running E85 straight for over 10k miles right now with no issues.. E15 isnt going to do one thing for reliability.. if anything will last longer with cleaner valves, Pistons etc.. As far economy it drops a tiny bit on 15% but well worth the gains IMO..

Mike

Old 10-14-2010, 09:56 PM
What about gas tanks and fuel systems of production cars? Why is it that the 2010 Owners Manual specifically warns against using gas with more than 10% ethanol?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by adias
What about gas tanks and fuel systems of production cars? Why is it that the 2010 Owners Manual specifically warns against using gas with more than 10% ethanol?
The owners manual warns of very many things we break the rules on without consequence.. Im going to say 99.99% chance NO WAY will e15 have any ill effect on ANY CAR that is setup to run 93 octane.. ill say even e25 for that matter.. The effect of E85 are yet to be seen.. So far so good in the 2010 Gt3 we are running it in..

Mike

Old 10-14-2010, 10:03 PM
^ I suggest you continue your experimentation and when you assemble credible engineering/forensic data and back it up with a solid warranty, please come back and market your mod.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ethanol or No Ethanol?